New to FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olyeller

Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I have a 4dtv with 10' mesh. I like to play around with it to see what I can pick up. This has led me to FTA. There are numerous threads that speak to getting started, but they seem to address specific issues. Is there like a basic FTA primer somewhere? I'm not so much interested in actually viewing the stuff as I am in seeing what I can get. I have many years experience in both electronics and computers. All the way from vacuum tubes to IC's and MF 360's to today's laptops. For example, some of my questions would be: purpose of the DISQE switch; smart card purpose; use the same 10' dish for the 4dtv and the FTA ... thanx in advance

Hi There (just like you)

Like you, I have a 4dtv + 8 ft perforated aluminum BUD.

I also had a yearn to find out about this "other" satellite" system out there, so I picked up an FTA receiver + a couple of High Freq Splitters and attached it! There was nothing really that caught my attention other than the concept and sheer number of channels out there!

Since I was already getting KU and my system was "dialed" in pretty well (or so I thought), I had almost instant gratification! BLIND SCAN as far as I am concerned is a must Have! Also since FTA is mostly KU, you will probably discover a few mistunes in an existing setup. With Blind Scan I just point the dish at an FTA bird, set the polarity on the 4dtv and hit blind scan...the FTA receiver searches the entire satellite and locks in the channels available so you can save them

The only "problem" (I am lazy) is using the 4dtv to switch polarity so that the FTA polarity is correct, depending on channel. It is a little bit of a pain but is worth it. Like you I am more interested on what I can pull in...so far it is simply amazing. THERE IS TV FROM PLACES THAT I NEVER EVEN KNEW EXISTED!

it is also fun picking up "feeds" just like the old days in C band!! I bought a little dish setup for dedicated FTA but have not installed it as yet. Will have a fresher outlook this spring!

I suggest starting at the FAQs above and if you have not been there yet...
www.lyngsat.com

Lyngsat will show you what is up there and you will have to cross reference the Satellite names you know from 4dtv over to the real names by their location. There are also some charts that list satellites in various name conventions.

Since you are already tracking the Clark belt...you are most of the way home!
Jeff

Last edited:
Thanx, Jeff. I will study the FAQ's and LynngSat as suggested. But what is the setup/concept when you say you point at an FTA bird (i assume using the 4dtv and then use your FTA receiver_. Can you explain the relationship between the 4dtv and the FTA (how it works). What is smart card slot and DISQE swithch. BTW, I currently get KU on k3 and K6 an W6 with the 4dtv ... thanx, jac

I am still a Noob!!

olyeller said:
Thanx, Jeff. I will study the FAQ's and LynngSat as suggested. But what is the setup/concept when you say you point at an FTA bird (i assume using the 4dtv and then use your FTA receiver_. Can you explain the relationship between the 4dtv and the FTA (how it works). What is smart card slot and DISQE swithch. BTW, I currently get KU on k3 and K6 an W6 with the 4dtv ... thanx, jac

I am still very much a Noob so forgive me if I miss here (I will be corrcted!)
The Disqe switch can be used to combine 2 or more LNB's (or dishes) into 1 receiver or vice versa. From what I have learned here...right now the card slot is not used in this country (that is not the upgrade card slot BTW).

here is how I work it. (The 4dtv only moves the dish and sets polarity...after that the dish belongs to the FTA receiver)

If I want to watch FTA on say satellite AMC3, (W3 on 4dtv) I set the 4dtv to go to W3 and tune a station on the 4dtv to set the correct polarity, for what i am going to watch on FTA (FTA polarities are spelled out on the Lyngstat page). Then once the dish is aimed at W3 (4dtv), it is also aimed at AMC3 for FTA and I just turn on the FTA receiver and tune in a channel! For the most part, I have only tuned to 1 polarity on an FTA Satellite until I put up the dedicated dish.

I have so many choices now, I do not need any more right now!!! In fact I have only dialed in 4 FTA birds as yet...the channel selection is astounding

Last edited:
gizzer777 said:
I am still very much a Noob so forgive me if I miss here (I will be corrcted!)
The Disqe switch can be used to combine 2 or more LNB's (or dishes) into 1 receiver or vice versa. From what I have learned here...right now the card slot is not used in this country (that is not the upgrade card slot BTW).

here is how I work it. (The 4dtv only moves the dish and sets polarity...after that the dish belongs to the FTA receiver)

If I want to watch FTA on say satellite AMC3, (W3 on 4dtv) I set the 4dtv to go to W3 and tune a station on the 4dtv to set the correct polarity, for what i am going to watch on FTA (FTA polarities are spelled out on the Lyngstat page). Then once the dish is aimed at W3 (4dtv), it is also aimed at AMC3 for FTA and I just turn on the FTA receiver and tune in a channel! For the most part, I have only tuned to 1 polarity on an FTA Satellite until I put up the dedicated dish.

I have so many choices now, I do not need any more right now!!! In fact I have only dialed in 4 FTA birds as yet...the channel selection is astounding

That just about sums it up. Welcome to a brand new world of enjoyment.:) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts