New to HD have a question Please.

BarbaraW

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
N. Grosvenordale. CT
Hi Guys, New to HD and trying to comprehend the whole recording thing. I have just made an appointment for upgrade to HD. They are coming tomorrow to swap out my duel dvr with a vip722k and see if they need to do other stuff with the dish and stuff. I know the dvr has 500g. From what I have read it says 55 hours hd, 350?SD Is this either or, or a combination of both. In other words if everything is recorded in HD would you only have 55 hours recording time and nothing else? Also can you designate somehow to either record in HD or SD . Like are the channels listed twice, once for the SD and once for the HD or do they have different numbers? Is it an options screen. I can usually understand the new stuff but I can't find a screenshot of the guide of the 722k to answer some of these questions. Thanks for the help, you guys have been very helpful to me in the past, I'm sure this time will be no different.:)

1 hour program recording HD equals to about 20 min. Subtracted from your hard rive. Sd takes up less room. The hard drive is all the same. if you record in HD or sd it will subtract time from your hard drive. You will have an HD guide and yes you can record HD to priority.

The 50 hr HD estimate was made when MPEG2 (compression) was prevalent, but now MPEG4 is the standard which takes up nearly half as much dish space. So, about 80hrs of HD is realistic. If you want to record SD, you would have to select the actual SD channel. No HD/SD recording option.

The 50 hr HD estimate was made when MPEG2 (compression) was prevalent, but now MPEG4 is the standard which takes up nearly half as much dish space. So, about 80hrs of HD is realistic. If you want to record SD, you would have to select the actual SD channel. No HD/SD recording option.

Thanks that answers most of my questions. Since there is no actual HD/SD recording option, and I would have to select the actual SD channel, does that mean that they have different numbers on the guide. Thanks in advance.

Same channel number. Two listings for the same channel bIf you have your guide to display both SD and HD, you'll see one channel has "HD", the other does not.

HD channels with SD equivalents appear in the guide twice with the same channel number. One is SD and the other HD. There is an HD logo on the HD version so you can easily identify it. You can chose to set a timer for either version.

Unless you spend a significant portion of your life recording and viewing TV shows, or you chose not to delete shows after you view them, you will have a hard time using up all your drive space, even if you only record HD. If you do fill up your drive, you can pay a one time per account $40 charge to enable the external hard drive feature. Then you can buy inexpensive, easily found, USB external hard drives and plug them into your receiver. This lets you move programs from the internal drive to the external, giving you storage space limited only by your ability to buy more drives and find places to keep them.

You can also chose to hide the SD - or HD versions of channels so you will only see the versions you are interested in. I have all the SD versions hidden.

Thanks guys, like I said in my original post, I knew you would be able to help. I'm sure we won't fill it even though my husband is an old movies junkie. Probably not in HD, I'm more of a series recorder (Burn Notice, criminal procedure etc) Already thinking of an EHD to archive hubby's movies. Thanks for the help

You will be surprised how many HD movies will fit on that hard drive. I have 13 2 hour plus HD movies on mine right now and still have more than 30 hours of estimated HD recording space.

Are you getting the Platinum pack? If you are a movie fan it is well worth the extra $10 per month with both Epix channels, retro and indie, and HD Net movies.

Are you getting the Platinum pack? If you are a movie fan it is well worth the extra $10 per month with both Epix channels, retro and indie, and HD Net movies.

I have HBO and Showtime but watch more movies on HDNet movies then I do all those other expensive channels. This is a must have channel for anyone who likes movies. I keep the others for specials and series more then for movies.

Unless you spend a significant portion of your life recording and viewing TV shows, or you chose not to delete shows after you view them, you will have a hard time using up all your drive space, even if you only record HD.
We might have a hard time doing that, but Dish/Tribune have no trouble whatsoever. Example: one timer for Spongebob Squarepants set to record SD new shows only, has repeatedly, for example over the weekend, started recording just about everything on Nickelodeon. Several of the programs are mysteriously 6 hours long. The final insult is that they are mostly iCarly and not even Spongebob.

You can limit the number of recording of a show title to say 10 so you will not fill your disk. It is in the Options menu of the Timer along with start early and finish late amounts.

Caution, if you set Protect on shows or check the Protect option, those are not counted in the limit I have found.
-Ken

If the OP doesn't mind I have a question about recording on the 722K...When you go to "Options" and you set the time to end the recording, say 2 minutes later then the program ending time, the box below ask if you want to make this the "Default" time...if you check this box, does that make every program you record end 2 minutes after the end of a program, or only that program, and if you check the box, will it mess up starts times on other programs if your doing "back to back" recordings?
Thanks,
Ghpr13:confused:

If the OP doesn't mind I have a question about recording on the 722K...When you go to "Options" and you set the time to end the recording, say 2 minutes later then the program ending time, the box below ask if you want to make this the "Default" time...if you check this box, does that make every program you record end 2 minutes after the end of a program, or only that program, and if you check the box, will it mess up starts times on other programs if your doing "back to back" recordings?
Thanks,
Checking that box WILL add 2 minutes to ALL timers. But if you have back to back timers set, it will still fire the second show of the back to back shows on time.

Checking that box WILL add 2 minutes to ALL timers. But if you have back to back timers set, it will still fire the second show of the back to back shows on time.
Thanks for that info!

Only if the same channel if both tuners are recording.
Do you mean that both tuners are set to the same channel with back to back recordings? What if I recording back to back on the same channel, but on tuner 1, while tuner 2 is being used for SD by my son?

Thanks for that info!

Do you mean that both tuners are set to the same channel with back to back recordings? What if I recording back to back on the same channel, but on tuner 1, while tuner 2 is being used for SD by my son?

No matter how you're set up, dual or single, the only time that an overlapping timer will resolve itself is when the same tuner is recording back to back on the same channel.

No one has posted it yet, so here goes - you might want to block SD on channels you only watch/record HD programs on. eg, News channels, super stations, movie channels,...any channel that broadcasts all or most programming in HD. It eliminates duplicate search results and unclutters the EPG.

Same said for channels you do not receive - block them.

No one has posted it yet, so here goes - you might want to block SD on channels you only watch/record HD programs on. eg, News channels, super stations, movie channels,...any channel that broadcasts all or most programming in HD. It eliminates duplicate search results and unclutters the EPG.

Same said for channels you do not receive - block them.

Exactly! Setting up a favorites list is a must! Cuts out all the garbage channels and such. But do keep in mind if there are new channels you'll have to keep an eye for them and add them. The forums and the uplink center here work great for that.

Exactly! Setting up a favorites list is a must! Cuts out all the garbage channels and such. But do keep in mind if there are new channels you'll have to keep an eye for them and add them. The forums and the uplink center here work great for that.

They sure do. That's how I know to add new channels that I am interested in. Thanks again for your efforts digi....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts