New to local HD. Some Question

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I don't yet have an HDTV, but I will be getting a Sony KP51WS510 very soon along with an 811. I have already read the entire 811 manual from the E* website. I understand that when you connect the RG6 to the 8VSB it is then that you search for your channels. What I don't understand is how you get to them and what channel do you tune into. The reason I ask is because my local CBS is channel number 7 from an NTSC tuner. On their website it says that a good reception of channel number 18 is needed in order to recieve the DTV station. http://wdbj7.com/dtvinfo.htm#purchase

So on the 811 what channel number do i go to to find it and then name it. And then where is it placed? Where are the substarions http://wdbj7.com/dtvinfo.htm#channels. How do you get to them? I am a really tech savvy person and I feel dumb for not understanding this, and it has bugged me enough that i finally had to ask. So would you all please answer this for me.

Thanks

hpman,

Most channels (not all) use something called PSIP to remap to their old number. So while CBS may be broadcasting on channel 18, it will likely appear in your Dish 811 guide as channel 7-1.

As far as adding channels to the guide, most HDTV receivers have a "digital locals scan" feature. This scans through all frequencies and then lists the channels that it finds. You can then choose (ex: with a checkmark) which local DTV/HDTV channels you want integrated into the guide with the satellite channels.

Note the Dish Network 811 receiver does not currently list program information on local HDTV channels. This is one of the main criticisms with this receiver. In contrast, the DirecTV and VOOM HDTV receivers do list program guide information on locals from an antenna. Indeed, on DirecTV and VOOM receivers, the local HD channels appear as though they are coming from satellite -- the wife wouldn't know the difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)