new to my 622 - quick questions

slug420

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
got my new HD DVR the other day learning my way around it a little but I have a quick question

I have the main composite output (no HDMI) to my main (HD)TV. The second output (RCAs) goes to a wireless video transmitter I have that sends signal to a few receivers I have around the house.

As I understand it with this DVR (coming from an older 5xx model) i can tape something and watch something at the same time. Does this mean on my main TV I can tape something in SD and watch something in HD simultaneously? or vice versa? Or does it only mean i can tape something (HD or SD) on the first tuner and tape something simultaneously or watch something (SD) on my other TVs?

if i am recording something on discovery channel will it automagically record it from discoveryHD if available or do I need to set my timer on the discoveryHD channel instead of the discovery SD channel?

Also new to Dish's HD service and from time to time I am seeing the picture (but not the sound i dont think) lag just for a second and then catch back up. Is this normal?

I have also had NESN (red sox network) go black on me a few times for just a second or two (cant remember if ilost sound or not also) while watching a game. Is this dish? HD? NESN? normal?

As I understand it with this DVR (coming from an older 5xx model) i can tape something and watch something at the same time. Does this mean on my main TV I can tape something in SD and watch something in HD simultaneously? or vice versa? Or does it only mean i can tape something (HD or SD) on the first tuner and tape something simultaneously or watch something (SD) on my other TVs?

on the recording question yes you may do all that with no problemo.

on the recording question yes you may do all that with no problemo.

So tonight I was taping one show in SD on tuner 2, and watching NESN HD on tuner 1 when a timer kicked off to tape "the office" which is on NBC and thusly not available in HD (weaaak). What I was confused about was that it interrupted my HD NESN programming to tape "theoffice" in SD on tuner 1. Is this right? I expected that i would be able to tape something in SD on tuner 2, SD on tuner 1 and watch HD on tuner 1 all at the same time. (not a big deal if i cant just trying to understand the capability).

thanks

So tonight I was taping one show in SD on tuner 2, and watching NESN HD on tuner 1 when a timer kicked off to tape "the office" which is on NBC and thusly not available in HD (weaaak). What I was confused about was that it interrupted my HD NESN programming to tape "theoffice" in SD on tuner 1. Is this right? I expected that i would be able to tape something in SD on tuner 2, SD on tuner 1 and watch HD on tuner 1 all at the same time. (not a big deal if i cant just trying to understand the capability).

thanks

You only have two sat tuners, so unless you have OTA, there is no way to record two programs while watching a third live one.

thanks

Here's the rundown. First off, don't think in terms of HD or SD. I'm assuming that the output to your HDTV and your wireless transmitter are the same program (same picture on both). You have to think of the tuners themselves.

A timer (either DVR or AutoTune) will always have priority. Tuner 1 you were watching NESN and Tuner 2 was recording "some program". When the timer for The Office kicked off, it took over the tuner that wasn't already recording, which stopped your game. The way you could have gotten around that is if you have an antenna hooked up to the 622 you could have recorded The office off of your antenna (a timer) and your Tuner 2 timer would continue, leaving Tuner 1 available to watch the game. With two satellite tuners and the Over The Air tuner you can literally record three programs at the same time and watch something pre-recorded at the same time.

Summary:
SAT Tuner 1 idle; SAT Tuner 2 idle; OTA idle;
SAT channel timer will choose an idle SAT Tuner

SAT Tuner 1 watching; SAT Tuner 2 idle; OTA idle;
SAT channel timer will choose SAT Tuner 2, since it's idle

SAT Tuner 1 watching; SAT Tuner 2 idle; OTA idle;
two SAT channel timers will choose SAT Tuner 1 & SAT Tuner 2. You can watch an OTA channel, since it's idle

SAT Tuner 1 idle; SAT Tuner 2 idle; OTA watching;
two SAT channel timers will choose SAT Tuner 1 & SAT Tuner 2. You're OTA program is uninterrupted

...I think you'll get it...but remember, a OTA timer will only record on the OTA tuner. As an example, I solved my timer problem on Tuesday nights by recording Biggest Loser (HD or SD) on a SAT Tuner, Deadliest Catch (HD) on the other SAT tuner and House on OTA tuner (004-01 in DFW). I can record all three programs and watch something I recorded Monday night while all that is going on.

The magic of DVRs. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)