New to the board.... and I have a 622/DVR Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gb387

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
i am planning on getting dish installed in the next few weeks but.... I am looking at the VIP622 and I am having a hard time spending $199 on it as it seems many posts I read there are problems.

Is this the case or are there many satisfied customers out there with the 622? I am planning on using HDMI to hook it to my tv.

Also is there a new HD DVR around the corner that may be worth waiting for?

Sorry for the newb questions I have done lots of reading on the site.

I am extremely happy with mine. I've been using DVRs since the 7200 came out and this is the best one I've seen yet. (I spent more than $199 but I own the box, not leased)

I can't speak to the HDMI issue as I have only component inputs on my TV but some people are complaining of HDMI problems. Also the box tends to get real hot, consider additional ventilation.

Last edited:
I've had the 622 for over 4 month, connected to a Sony HDTV via HDMI, without problems with the connection. I get much better PQ via HDMI vs. component.

The only problem I've had with the 622 is an apparently bad spot on the hard drive that won't allow the program recorded there to play back. If I delete the program, the next one recorded won't play back, so I just leave the program on the DVR until I get time to call Dish tech support.

I've had my 622 since they came out and I don't recall having any chronic problems. Of course, there's the occasional nuisance bug, but nothing that I can recall that resulted in a lost recording or lengthy loss of picture.

I'm using HDMI and have no problems with the connection like some others have. Although the components seem to give a better picture "out of the box", while the HDMI took lots of calibrating (of the monitor) to achieve the same results.

In my opinion, this is the most stable DVR dish has put out.

Liked the first one enough to pop for a second. Did have an HDMI port failure, but I have had a good picture with the component cables to my Sony.

I love mine. No HDMI issues and that is how mine is hooked to my TV.

Also, I did not lease. I purchased ours anticipating that I would enjoy it as much as I do!

$199 is a good price for it. I paid $299 in April. Since then I have had a few minor problems, which have all gone away; initially some Audio sync issues; one or two unexpected reboots, but HDMI has worked fine since day one, and the DVR is top- notch. And when the External USB support comes out, it will be even better.

Get it. You won't regret it.

Thanks all for the replies.... seems the bad sticks out more than the good.

rockymtnhigh, I see you have the Sony KD-34XBR970, I have the 34XBR960 so that is good as far as the HDMI/622.... I also have the Sony DVP-NS75H as well, thumbs up on the DVD player as well.

I had an HDMI problem with my first 622, but the replacement has been great. The software has stabilized and I just love the 622. (Some of the extra fees really grate on me though!)

I have the 622 and am loving it! Had a 3xx and then went through all of the buggy 500 series (had a 510 replaced 5 times!) and now, with the 622, I am a happy dish customer once more! I have it connected to a Sony 34XBR800 and what an awesome picture!

By the way, check out the Dish'n It Up offers, if you're new to dish or even just new to dish hd, you'll get rebates to lower that $199 price tag!

Love mine - purchased in May. The first was DOA wrt the HDMI output, the replacement unit has been flawless (KOW !!). No other issues but I'm underwhelmed by the OTA tuner performance (I live in a deep fringe area). You will always hear more complaints than compliments.

If you get one, order an HDMI and component cables at the same time (622 comes with neither). Don't get roped into the expensive cables at a BB store - buy online instead. Try both and use the connection you prefer. As 120inna55 (did you get busted for that?) mentioned, there could be a bunch of adjustments you can make to optimize the PQ. My Sony XBR has a "color pallet" that I haven't fooled-around with yet. I find the HDMI picture a bit sharper and the component picture a bit "warmer" with the default settings. You'll also then have the component connection working in case you ever do have an issue with the HDMI output. I leave both there and compare once in awhile, but usually leave it on HDMI.

Re: reliability, as others have mentioned make sure the unit gets a LOT of ventillation. You might even want to add external fan(s) to force more air through it. Be very careful when plugging-in the HDMI cable. Don't force it or move it around excessively and make sure the weight of the cable is not hanging from/supported by that plug.

Good luck with it! I believe you will really like it and this forum is a great place to help you get the most out of it...!

Welcome, BTW...!

Have used the 622 since June 27. It knocks the socks off the Comcast recorder I had previously. It was installed by a Dish employee who brought the box and the HDMI cables, nothing extra to buy. Overall, am very pleased with the box and Dish service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts