New TV Advice

HipKat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL
My 65" LG Nano Cell didn't survive the move to my new home. So I've been doing a LOT of searching and I think I came up with a really good, affordable option. Wanted to see what people thought before I pull the trigger.

Sony - 65" Class X900H Series LED 4K UHD Smart Android TV

Reviews look really good but the price is what has me hooked. It's on clearance for $1049.00

I have the same model. It has been pretty solid and it is one of the very few TVs that has a built-in NEXTGEN TV tuner.
That's the one that required a software update to enable the ATSC 3.0 tuner, yes?

What model is the Costco version?
XBR65X90CH. They may be available in stores but they're no longer available online (though the other sizes are).

Amazon is still offering the 65" model (with the XBR-65X900H model number) for $1,198. The two models are identical in all performance respects.

Reactions: raoul5788
I have an older model Sony 900 and strongly recommend it.
Thanks. My buddy looked at oner last year and said it was profoundly heads and shoulders above other TV's he looked at. Looks like my LG shattering may have been a blessing in disguise

At the time I bought the X90CH ($1400) I was also looking at the LG CX series OLED. While the OLED in theory is capable of a superior picture it was also an additional $400. I had also read online that the LG app store isn't as complete as Android.

Depending on your viewing environment and types of content, OLED really will give you the best pq. The contrast and color is amazing.

Not that some LED or QLED screens can’t be comparable.

Truth be told, most sets these days can give you a good experience with the right tweaks.

Reactions: Jimbo and HipKat
In some markets, having the ATSC v3.0 tuner built-in would be nice. Not here, though… :(

At the time I bought the X90CH ($1400) I was also looking at the LG CX series OLED. While the OLED in theory is capable of a superior picture it was also an additional $400. I had also read online that the LG app store isn't as complete as Android.
The LG store is good but since I use an nVidia Sheild Pro to stream everything, I can probably bypass that and use the native apps on the TV to do my streaming

The LG store is good but since I use an nVidia Sheild Pro to stream everything, I can probably bypass that and use the native apps on the TV to do my streaming
Don't get too caught up in the TV Apps that aren't Roku or Android. Unless something has changed recently, updates to the TV apps were few and far between and the functional app lifetime was around 4-5 years (from model introduction -- or whenever YouTube or Netflix made a significant change).

Don't get too caught up in the TV Apps that aren't Roku or Android. Unless something has changed recently, updates to the TV apps were few and far between and the functional app lifetime was around 4-5 years (from model introduction -- or whenever YouTube or Netflix made a significant change).
My friend, the streaming I do is the kind we don't talk about on here so apps like Hulu, etc are not my concern

• Haha
Reactions: raoul5788
OLEDs still lose PQ over the years. Not as bad as they used to be, but they still have a shorter usable lifetime.

My 65" LG Nano Cell didn't survive the move to my new home. So I've been doing a LOT of searching and I think I came up with a really good, affordable option. Wanted to see what people thought before I pull the trigger.

Sony - 65" Class X900H Series LED 4K UHD Smart Android TV

Reviews look really good but the price is what has me hooked. It's on clearance for $1049.
So have you made a decision yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts