New TV dish pq seems less impressive now

I would imagine the latest: Genie and Hopper 3. But a good point. I'll ask. I wouldn't want to get earlier-generation equipment. Been there.

And to the earlier poster, what method would you recommend rather than a side-by-side comparison? With DirecTV still keeping my wife's favorite channel dark I remain open to DISH.

I would imagine the latest: Genie and Hopper 3. But a good point. I'll ask. I wouldn't want to get earlier-generation equipment. Been there.

And to the earlier poster, what method would you recommend rather than a side-by-side comparison? With DirecTV still keeping my wife's favorite channel dark I remain open to DISH.

Each TV should be calibrated. At the very least using a good quality calibration DVD, at best by a professional. The "stock" setting can be far from optimal.

Each TV should be calibrated. At the very least using a good quality calibration DVD, at best by a professional. The "stock" setting can be far from optimal.
In an ideal world, I would agree with you. But if the TV is out of calibration, it should be the same "out of calibration" for both signals. The realistic/practical way to compare the signal is watching the same channel on the same television. Actually you should look at multiple channels.

Reactions: Troch77
I just dropped dish for my local fiber provider. The picture quality on the fiber is miles ahead of what dish had. I've been in the process of dumping shows off my hopper before I send it back. Almost all of my HD shows are 1GB/30min or 2GB/hr, which is tiny (even when accounting for mpeg 4). To get anywhere near that size with my capture device, I had to drop to 2Mbps or so, but when I capture that low, it chains artifacts and looks horrible. I had to stay at 6Mbps or higher.

One easy way to tell is to look for mpeg artifacts around text. I watch a number of things on NBCSN, and via Dish, text is a mess. Via my fiber provider, it's crystal clear.

I just dropped dish for my local fiber provider. The picture quality on the fiber is miles ahead of what dish had. I've been in the process of dumping shows off my hopper before I send it back. Almost all of my HD shows are 1GB/30min or 2GB/hr, which is tiny (even when accounting for mpeg 4). To get anywhere near that size with my capture device, I had to drop to 2Mbps or so, but when I capture that low, it chains artifacts and looks horrible. I had to stay at 6Mbps or higher.

One easy way to tell is to look for mpeg artifacts around text. I watch a number of things on NBCSN, and via Dish, text is a mess. Via my fiber provider, it's crystal clear.
My local fiber provider is verizon fios. Their prices are so much higher than dish I can justify the quality difference

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My local fiber provider is verizon fios. Their prices are so much higher than dish I can justify the quality difference

I'm quite lucky in that regard, I live in a town that has a municipal internet/TV option. Their 200 package is $85 and the cable card is $3. So my monthly bill is $88+tax. It's not crazy competitive and certainly wouldn't be if you rent equipment from them, but I just couldn't justify all the fees with Dish. Amazing picture quality is a nice bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Joe891
I'm quite lucky in that regard, I live in a town that has a municipal internet/TV option. Their 200 package is $85 and the cable card is $3. So my monthly bill is $88+tax. It's not crazy competitive and certainly wouldn't be if you rent equipment from them, but I just couldn't justify all the fees with Dish. Amazing picture quality is a nice bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish I had an option like that, you are very lucky, my Verizon fios Internet is $44 but it is about $170 more to add a comparable tv package from them with dvr instead of dish so I save big time there