New TV sucks or TNT-HD that bad?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

landlocked

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Columbus, OH
I picked up a new 55" Hitachi rear projection LCD television two weeks back and haven't watched TNT-HD until catching NBA coverage this past weekend...and I wasn't impressed.

Do I have a dog of a TV set (because of it's model or type) or is it just showing the limitations of the TNT-HD signal piped out by my HD DirecTivo? I'm running HDMI...so I think the signal is as good as it's going to get.

I had a 55" Mitsu projection with component before the new TV and it always looked just fine (especially Bikini Destinations).

I thought maybe MPEG2 was showing its limitations on a new, supposedly better, set.

landlocked said:
I had a 55" Mitsu projection with component before the new TV and it always looked just fine (especially Bikini Destinations).

I thought maybe MPEG2 was showing its limitations on a new, supposedly better, set.

You were probably watching an upconverted signal instead of an hd signal. Not everything on TNT HD is HD.

stellar832000 said:
Looked good at my house also, I have a Dish 411 but I think the key word here is DISH and not Directv.
I thought the same thing when I read the title of the thread.

raoul5788 said:
You were probably watching an upconverted signal instead of an hd signal. Not everything on TNT HD is HD.
No I think 90% of the problems on most of the D* HD channels is that you are watching a downconverted 1920x1080i to 1280 x 1080 signal at reduced bitrates.

All the playoff games on TNT-HD and ESPN-HD look fantastic using my H20's and Plasma/LCD screens. No complaints here.

Those NBA games on TNT HD via D* look like barf..I have seen it on 3 different set ups via D* and it is beyond atrocious...

People that say it looks great are just pulling your chain, or delusional. No ifs, ands, or buts about it..

Mostly I think the people that say it looks great just enjoy going against the grain..They seem to get off on their own self righteous nonsense..As if we should all be impressed that they are willing to settle for complete garbage...

If you want the truth about D* HD I would head over to AVS forums is what I would do..

Over here they have trolls that stand by D* HD no matter how bad it looks...

Over at AVS they have a wide array of more that reputable longtime posters (and mods) that tell it like it is...

:D :D :D :D

guffy1 said:
Those NBA games on TNT HD via D* look like barf..I have seen it on 3 different set ups via D* and it is beyond atrocious...

People that say it looks great are just pulling your chain, or delusional. No ifs, ands, or buts about it..

Mostly I think the people that say it looks great just enjoy going against the grain..They seem to get off on their own self righteous nonsense..As if we should all be impressed that they are willing to settle for complete garbage...

If you want the truth about D* HD I would head over to AVS forums is what I would do..

Over here they have trolls that stand by D* HD no matter how bad it looks...

Over at AVS they have a wide array of more that reputable longtime posters (and mods) that tell it like it is...

:D :D :D :D

I am surprised that AVS has members have changed their minds as a few months ago most of their members were telling us that we were all crazy about D* down resolution and low bitrates on their HD channels. I can mention a few member names and you tell me if they had changed their mind --- HDTVFAN0001 was one (among others) that was very fanatic about the HD Lite not being a problem on D*.

I will say that TNT was so pixelated last night. It weas watchable but when the action started getting going it would pixelate. I will say that ABC was unbelievable this weekend. So I loved that. TNT was getting to me, but I guess I would rather have HD then none at all.

dblake15 said:
I will say that TNT was so pixelated last night. It weas watchable but when the action started getting going it would pixelate. I will say that ABC was unbelievable this weekend. So I loved that. TNT was getting to me, but I guess I would rather have HD then none at all.

Good it's not just me and my setup, I started a thread on another forum about this. I had D* installed 2 weeks ago. I placed a service call the next day after install, because while watching a TNT-HD playoff game there was some slight pixelation. I also had low (or what I thought to be low) signal reading on my H20. But everyone says 65+ is the norm.

Although I don't have a plasma or DLP my 55'' Mitsubishi CRT looked real good with the cable HD. I noticed right away the difference in TNT-HD, thus the reason I made the call.

If you have another source for TNT-HD, D* TNT-HD is not that great. I usually go into one of the 2 rooms where we have E* as well. The TNT-HD feed from E* is much better, but most don't have the luxury of comparing the 2 feeds from E* and D* on the same TV. Suffice to say, at least D* has TNT-HD, hopefully next year the 1080 feeds will go to 1920x1080 when the new national birds are launched.

Sean Mota said:
I am surprised that AVS has members have changed their minds as a few months ago most of their members were telling us that we were all crazy about D* down resolution and low bitrates on their HD channels. I can mention a few member names and you tell me if they had changed their mind --- HDTVFAN0001 was one (among others) that was very fanatic about the HD Lite not being a problem on D*.

Sean, I cant really speak about specific members or anything, but I will agree that many AVS members do seem to have changed their HDLite tune in the last few months, just like you said...

There is an easy explanation though, IMO..Its because in the last few months D* has for whatever reason gone from really bad HD, to just downright miserable HD, 720p channels included..Honestly, I never thought it could get worse, but it clearly has, and there are many, many members over at AVS that have jumped off the D* fanboy bandwagon in the last few months..

Over here it seems to be the same ol stale nonsense, from the same ol stale members.. "D* HD looks great"!!! Blah, blah blah...

The injustice of established members going around saying D* HD looks great should be seen as major embarrassment to anyone that cares about this site, IMO...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts