New user confused on how to use DVR with 722k

Gaw

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
I've searched the forum to try to see if there was an answer to my question, but I have not found one. I am a new user of dish network. We switched from cable. I have a 722k that is used in my main living room and master bedroom. We mainly use the living room to record shows (sometimes at the same time that we watch other live TV). We just watch live tv at night in the bedroom. When dish came to set this up, they set it in record plus mode. When I set it to record on TV1, I cannot watch live TV on the main TV1. So I set it up to record on TV2 so I can watch other live tv shows on TV1. My question...what is the best set up for my situation? Do I continue in what I'm doing or go to single mode or does that make a difference with the master bedroom tv? Confused...thanks for any help...

You have it setup the best way that you can. For the most part, you want to "treat" it like it's in single mode. What I mean by this is that you record on TV2 first, then it will record on TV1 if needed. The 722k does not take into account a 1) heavy user, or 2) someone that watches from both TV's frequently. Treat it like a single tuner DVR that will allow you to watch from a second TV.

If you are not both trying to watch live tv at the same time in both rooms, then I would set it to single mode.

The dvr will then just record in the background on the free tuner without bothering you, unless you have 2 timers set for the same time, which would use both tuners.

If you can receive your locals with an antenna, then the over the air module gives you more recording and playback options.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Hi Gaw, and welcome to Sat Guys!! I understand that getting use to new equipment can be challenging. I have my DVR Record Plus set to TV2 as that is the least used TV in my home. When I am setting up a timer, and the show airs at a time when I will likely be watching at my TV2 location then I will set the timer to TV1. You can disable the Record Plus and then every time you set a timer, you will need to tell the DVR which channel you want it record on. Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

If you are recording on both TV1 and TV2 tuners you can still watch TV2 tuner from either set. Once the timer has started you just go to "My Recordings" and start the playback of the recording.

Gaw,
If you have the ota module installed, you will also be able to record 2 ota feeds at a time. TV1 and TV2 have different meanings when referring to tuners and outputs. Both TV1 and TV2 tuners are hdtv tuners. TV1 output via hdmi or component is hd and TV2 output is down converted SD. I always leave mine in dual mode.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions..I will leave it the way it is for now. I do not have the OTA module for the 722k. Can this be ordered on my account page and is it extra per month?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions..I will leave it the way it is for now. I do not have the OTA module for the 722k. Can this be ordered on my account page and is it extra per month?
you can order the OTA module from anyone that carries them, just make sure its for the 722/722k, and not to push it on you, but the Dish Store (at the top of SatelliteGuys website) carries them, and you'd be helping to support one of SG's sponsors.

Use of the OTA however.. means you have to be within range of your local HD broadcasts.. 60 to 100 miles with good antennas and aimed properly.

Something I'm not sure if was discussed .. but you can switch between Tuner1/Tuner2 on your bedroom TV ... The Coax output on the back of the receiver puts out both tuner's signal usually 2 channels away (ie. 63 / 65) so you turn your bedroom TV to the other channel, and you'll get the other tuner's output. You would need to make sure that the Modulator was setup for both tuners, and the one draw back, is that you only got one UHF remote (you can get a 2nd one, and set it up for TV1/Tuner1)

you can order the OTA module from anyone that carries them, just make sure its for the 722/722k, and not to push it on you, but the Dish Store (at the top of SatelliteGuys website) carries them, and you'd be helping to support one of SG's sponsors.

Use of the OTA however.. means you have to be within range of your local HD broadcasts.. 60 to 100 miles with good antennas and aimed properly.

Something I'm not sure if was discussed .. but you can switch between Tuner1/Tuner2 on your bedroom TV ... The Coax output on the back of the receiver puts out both tuner's signal usually 2 channels away (ie. 63 / 65) so you turn your bedroom TV to the other channel, and you'll get the other tuner's output. You would need to make sure that the Modulator was setup for both tuners, and the one draw back, is that you only got one UHF remote (you can get a 2nd one, and set it up for TV1/Tuner1)

The tuner is for the 722k only, not the 722. The 722 reference will just cause confusion, as there is no 722 add-on tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts