New user help

kwcash

Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Just installed the 811 receiver attached to a Sony 42 inch LCD projection. To my dismay, none of the Sony signal processing functions are active. After a detailed review of the 811 user manual, discovered that all non-HD signals are sent to the TV as 480P signals. The Sony requires 480I inputs before its internal signal processor is activated. I would like to compare the performance of the Sony signal processor to the 811 signal processor and select the better of the two. To do so, I MUST get 480I from the 811 receiver. Can anyone suggest how this might be done ? Thanks.

Ken

Ken,

If you are connected via DVI, that's your problem. DVI supports 480p as a minimum resolution.

You'd have to go component, composite or S-Video to feed 480i.

Cheers,

John ........

Iam not using DVI connection, component video only.

Page 21 of the Dish HD User's Guide states in a note :

"The default resolution on both HDTV outputs is 480P until the receiver is authorized and subscribed to a qualifying programming package ......"

My take is that both DVI and Component are at 480P. And my Sony acts like it as well, as none of the signal processing options within the Sony are active.

Any other thoughts ? Since the default is 480P, does that suggest that 480I
might be an option ?

Ken

kwcash said:
Page 21 of the Dish HD User's Guide states in a note :

"The default resolution on both HDTV outputs is 480P until the receiver is authorized and subscribed to a qualifying programming package ......"
Ken, any video signal coming out of the 811's DVI or component outputs can only be at 480p, 720p, or 1080i. Like John said, use S-Video to get 480i into your Sony.

BTW, thanks for posing this question. I found that I can watch ESPN-HD (when it's in Stretch-o-Vision) at 480p on my Toshiba and adjust the Toshiba's Pic Size to Normal, negating ESPN's 4:3->16:9 conversion. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts