new user needs help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kgraves

Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Maybe you can help me. I've subscribed to Dnetwork for 3 years. I still have the original receivers that were free. No frills.
Now I'm thinking I want frills. Maybe just a dvr type receiver. I have an idea that this is going to cost me - at least more than if I were a new customer. Not happy with that, but.....oh well. I presently have 2 receivers and I wouldn't mind having a 3rd for the guest room tv. None of my tvs are hd.
I called today to see what they offer. Basic dvr for $50 - leased. Or, a 522/625 receiver leases for $100. Maybe two of them - I'm not sure.
I had a hard time understanding the salesperson's English (no surprise there). So maybe you can help.
Dual tuners? Does that mean the receiver operates more than one tv? Or, does it mean it can record on 2 channels at the same time? If it means 2 tv's, do they have to be connected to each other by some type of cord?
Does anyone know if you can record ppv movies to watch at a later time? Probably not.
If you record a program, can it be copied to a dvd?
They told me I own the 2 receivers I now have. If I keep them, are they usable? If so, are they still going to charge me the extra $5 per month if I use one of them in my guest room?
Any help from you would be greatly appreciated. Too bad I wasn't able to get more help from the guy with the bad accent.

Dual tuners lets you record 2 things at once and you can watch something prerecorded while the 2 things are being recorded (or you can watch one of the 2 things being recorded while it is being recorded).

The 522/625 have an output for a second TV. You can watch different programs on the 2 TVs. Of course there are limits since you only have 2 tuners. If you are recording 1 show, and watching a show live on 1 TV, the 2nd TV will have to watch what is being recorded, what TV 1 is watching or a prerecorded show.

I would say it is definitely worth the extra $50 for 2 tuners. Recording 2 things at once is great. And if you decide to save money by having 2 TVs working off it, it is great too.

If you keep your existing boxes you are charged $5/month for them.

Thank you for your help. What about the ppv movies. Can you record them? It would be nice if you could watch them on your own schedule.

Your other question. You cannot directly transfer from the PVR to a dvd, you basically play it back and record it.

BTW if you like to own your receivers, i suspect with the HD upgrade stuff going on there may be quite a few older non-hd dvr's available soon. 501, 508 for example :)
VVVVVVVV

Is there an advantage to owning? It sounds like you pay for the use of the receiver whether you own it or not. I'm still a bit confused. We pay $5 per mo for receivers that we already own. When, and if, we upgrade to dvr receivers, we will still pay $5 for each, correct? Would the only savings be the amount we pay up front to lease -$100?
My husband & I tend to 'hang on' to things way too long. Maybe owning would make sense for us.
And, how do yall find these receivers? Online like ebay?

the only benefit i can currently see on owning is that you can sell it again, and you can do whatever you want with. I lease my cars coz i like new toys every 3 years, when i joined dish there was no lease option. I think it's a personal preference thing.

Ebay yes, but you have to check there are no charges and stuff, you could search on this site using the keyword ebay and you will find out what you need to do.

You pay $5/month if you lease or own... The only reason I can really see to own is if you want a configuration you cannot get from Dish lease program like 4 HDDVRs or something like that. You buy a box they tend to go down in price, not up so you are just losing money, and you have your hard earned $$ tied up in a box.

IMHO, lease is the only way to go because if the unit goes bad (and probably will), they will replace it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts