new vip 211k on new dish 500 won't complete install

Clinton Johnson

Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Florida
First, I am new to this forum and new to setting up receivers / dishes. I bought a vip 211k and a Dish 500 with the dual LNBs. I only need one TV and its for an RV. I pointed the dish to EchoStar 61.5, and get strong signal (76) and lock. The bird at 72 is not showing up at all. The LNB housing shows 110 and 119 imprinted on it, which makes me wonder if its right for the EA. It is easy to find information on WA... even the receivers tell you how to aim 110 or 119, but no help on 61.5. Whats up with that? When running the set up on the receiver it fails in step 2 OF 5, where it is attempting to acquire satellite. I got what I know about aiming from dishpointer.com and not sure if the data is the same for a 500 compared to a 1000.4 (148/48/-30)... is what I am using. I would think I should see 72 (or is it 72.7) but no connection on it. I called Dish and they couldn't get it to work as well. The receiver seems to be saying it is a connection to the dish, which makes no sense to me. I have thought about installing it in place of the 722 DVR in the house (the dish there is a 1000.4). Anyone have a suggestion. The frustrating thing is ever time it is running this 2 of 5, it takes 30 minutes each time to show a fail. Help, please and I appreciate it. My zip is 32046.

The Dish 500 is for WA sats, but if you take your time, you should be able to pull in 72. You should go online to dishpointer and look for the settings for the 1000.4 EA dish and use the numbers there as you will not find the settings on the point dish screen for EA sats. Good Luck.

From behind the dish, cover the right lnb "eye" with aluminum foil.

If you lose the 61.5 signal then the left eye is looking over at about %1 degrees, i.e., you are about 10-12 degrees too far east.

Swing the dish 10 degrees right and maybe up a bit to get 61.5 on the right lnb and 72.7 on the left one - again when looking from behind the dish.

Thanks everyone... I appreciate the advice. I will try aiming at 72.7 NIMIQ 5, starting first with what Jim5506 suggests. Last evening, when I hit 61.5, I had signal to the west or right, but it was weak. Dishpointer for 61.5 says EL 48, AZ 150, SK -30... for 72.7 it says EL 53, AZ 168, SK -15. But, based on the sound of it, using this WA dish on EA might take some compromises. What gets me, is I could have bought any dish or even two dishes (one EA and one WA), but I bought this one so I can use it in both zones and wouldn't have to haul 2 dishes around. Live and learn, I guess. I will reply with results of todays ventures.

Just be aware that on WA, most of the HD channels are on 129, you can use the Dish500, but you would need to give up something. Either 110 or 129 since the dish500 does not cover three sat locations. You may want to check into a 1000.4 dish and getting two lnb setups, an EA and WA. You can use the one dish and change out the lnb assembly for the arc you are trying to get.

Just be aware that on WA, most of the HD channels are on 129, you can use the Dish500, but you would need to give up something. Either 110 or 129 since the dish500 does not cover three sat locations. You may want to check into a 1000.4 dish and getting two lnb setups, an EA and WA. You can use the one dish and change out the lnb assembly for the arc you are trying to get.
You can do basically the same with a 1000.2 dish. DISH makes a WA LNB and a EA LNB for this dish also.

Hitting ** menu will bust you out of the "of 7" instillation and then you can run a checkswitch from the point dish screen ... much faster when trouble shooting a new reciever

Hitting ** menu will bust you out of the "of 7" instillation and then you can run a checkswitch from the point dish screen ... much faster when trouble shooting a new reciever

This may solve it if both sats are in place and will allow you to fine tune. But if it doesn't see one of the sats, you will have to clear the matrix (run check switch again with dish disconnected) as it will not be able to see any other sats than those shown after the check switch.

My confusion starts because home is locked on 61.5, 72.7 and 77... as well as trying to use logic that if living in the east I need to point to the EA. Then DishPros sold me a Dish500 with no information that it is made for the WA. The RV kit had no instructions at all. They didn't help much with the solution either. I was frustrated by the long delay waiting for the x of 5 to "fail out". Using HIFI's data, I did hit 72.7, but boy is it a skinny tolerance. At 72.7 the receiver 'got happy' but, as you guys know I only had one bird. The left eye had the bird. Well, using the aiming provided by the receiver for 110 / 119, I aimed at 110, which was a fatter tolerance and easier to find. I re-ran the check switch and after a power down, everything came up on both birds. I just love saying birds, LOL. I now know that when stating skew it can be in degrees or degrees east (-) or a positive number for west state as the difference from 90 degrees. I had fewer channels, but a few HD on 72.7 (another EchoStar not NIMIQ as I stated above). Once I decided to shoot west, it took me less than 15 minutes to maximize the signal and another 30 before the receiver was happy. I pinned the tripod down and hung a gallon of water to keep it from moving. Thanks to all the help for everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts