New Vip-622 User/PocketDish

gasman882001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Houston, Tx
Finally talked the wife into allowing me to get a new VIP 622 receiver since the 508 died.:) It was installed last week and I am still learning all of the functions.

I got a question about how to record local network channel's in SD so that I can download to PocketDish. My local channel's from antenna and locals from Dish are both recording digital not analog or HD and the results is that the PocketDish says are sources are being recorded in HD so it can not download. For my wife's reality shows, recording in SD would be fine.

Also, my daughter loves Sponge Bob and all of the Cartoon channels load fine to the PocketDish so she is happy.

I see from reading other posts that the current PocketDishes do not record in HD but I don't care, I just want the 622 to record in SD for many shows. Who needs reality or sitcoms in HD?

Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately it cant record the off air channels since while the shows are not in HD the digital signals themselves from the local broadcasters are still HD signals. (Show may be 480 but your station is still sending video out at 1080i or 720p)

The next generation of PocketDishes will be able to support HD / Digital Off Air recordings, we hope to hear more about them at CEDIA, although it could be until CES before we see them.

If you have the Local via DishNetwork, you can set the 622 to map local instead of HD off air. You should be record SD that way.

hzhao said:
If you have the Local via DishNetwork, you can set the 622 to map local instead of HD off air. You should be record SD that way.

Yes I continue to pay for Dish locals for my 508. I will try to change this setting this evening.

Thanks.:hatsoff:

I believe I understand this right... You could keep the HD (either OTA or Dish) mapped to your local, but when you record a local you desire to transfer to the Pocketdish, record the Dish local SD channel, which may be in the 8000 or somewhere.

Ex: Denver HD are 6330 - 6333; Denver SD are 8200 - 8215.

Last edited:
Got it to work! :) :) :)

I changed my dish locals on the VIP 622 menus to SD only. I can now send these locals to the PocketDish. I still have HD locals over the air so I now have both and can record both but only send the SD Dish locals to the PocketDish.

Thanks y'all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)