new vizio tv

papayazz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
canby
plan on buying the new vizio m65. it has the tablet for all the extras..wondering if anybody else has bought this set and want to know if the tv and the tablet work well with the hopper? only know enough about computers and tablets to get me in trouble. just want to know if it is easy to get the set and add ons working properly. looks like a great pic.have seen a few bad reviews but mostly good ones..any help is appreciated...

I do not think the Viziocast tablet will control your Hopper (or Joey) at all. It is for "casting" content from mobile apps (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) over whatever is on the screen so you don't have to change inputs. The Hopper will still use the Dish remote or a universal remote. There is also a small "dumb" remote that can be used to control the basic functions of the TV as well.

A few things I would take into consideration before you make a purchase:
From what I have read all the TV's settings have to be adjusted via the tablet and not like all other TVs on screen which can be a problem for people who cannot easily see a 6" screen.

There is no tuner in the new Vizio TV's - in fact they are not even calling them TVs but " Home Theater Displays" not an issue since you have Dish but could be a big deal if you use OTA (which is broken on the H3).

Can you post any more info about this "tablet"? The tv appears to come with a standard IR remote with qwerty, not a tablet. Even if it did come with some sort of tablet remote, it would not interact with your Hopper in any way. The apps appear to be built in as they have been in previous Vizio models. There are no "add-ons" or "extras" as far as I can tell. Bottom line, expect it to work like a normal smart TV, and expect your Hopper to work the same as it always has.

This is the remote. Is it the same as the "tablet" you're talking about?
smart-remote.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind. I see from the previous post what you're talking about now. That only interacts with your TV, not with the Hopper. I imagine it would be useful when you want to "cast" from other streaming apps, like the way Chomecast works.

There is no tuner in the new Vizio TV's - in fact they are not even calling them TVs but " Home Theater Displays" not an issue since you have Dish but could be a big deal if you use OTA (which is broken on the H3).

Just to be clear, what is broken on the H3 regarding OTA is recording it. I have absolutely no issue with simply watching an OTA channel.

Reactions: DWS44
Which models don't have built in Tuners?
Last I saw, just the P series Smart cast 4k models don't.

Because it sure looks like the D, E, and M series still does have the Tuners built in.
Unless 2017 Vizio is dropping the tuners across the board.

Which models don't have built in Tuners?
Last I saw, just the P series Smart cast 4k models don't.

Because it sure looks like the D, E, and M series still does have the Tuners built in.
Unless 2017 Vizio is dropping the tuners across the board.

The new P and M series do not have tuners built in. Here is the M65 that the OP mentions: https://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries/m65d0.html

The CNET review mentions no tuner: http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-m-series-2016/review/

This article explains things a little better about Vizio's tuner-less tv's. The good news is you can buy a separate tuner for $40 if needed.
http://www.techhive.com/article/304...-vizios-new-smart-tvs-dont-spark-a-trend.html

The better news is you can buy another brand of 4K UHDTV with an OTA tuner builtin it.I honestly cannot believe that Vizio would do this it's like turning your back on the cord cutters who want OTA.

It's the lamest move ever in my mind and I definitely would never go out and buy a separate OTA tuner when I can buy another brand of TV with the OTA tuner.

plan on buying the new vizio m65. it has the tablet for all the extras..wondering if anybody else has bought this set and want to know if the tv and the tablet work well with the hopper? only know enough about computers and tablets to get me in trouble. just want to know if it is easy to get the set and add ons working properly. looks like a great pic.have seen a few bad reviews but mostly good ones..any help is appreciated...

Before you make a purchase please consult www.rtings.com you will find there several reviews on 4K UHDTVs and find a TV that has good reviews for what you will be using it to watch.Good Luck!:oldsmile2

The better news is you can buy another brand of 4K UHDTV with an OTA tuner builtin it.I honestly cannot believe that Vizio would do this it's like turning your back on the cord cutters who want OTA.

It's the lamest move ever in my mind and I definitely would never go out and buy a separate OTA tuner when I can buy another brand of TV with the OTA tuner.

It depends on your usage. I have not had coax hooked up to any of my TVs since the early 2000's when I had analog cable. But I live too far away for OTA and have Dish STBs. I personally would rather have more HDMI inputs than non-HD inputs or OTA tuners, but each person has different needs.

in severe weather when cable/sat may be down, or the local uplink to them may be down. an ota tuner built intot he tv allows reception of local news/weather,a s well as entertainment

not having an ota tuner in a tv is like no alcohol in beer, utterly useless

edit: i speek from experience, i had a tuner less tv from 2005-2015, never again

wasn't concerned about using the tablet for the hopper or joey. was wondering about the ease in setting up the tv and using the apps in the tablet. I just want a great pic and easy remote use. sounds like its best to use the hopper remote and use the tablet for connecting to apps like you tube. until they put you tube on the hopper apps.also, can't get OTA where I live,so don't need the tuner.

Even if I wanted to view OTA programming, I'd have a Channel Master DVR or something. I don't see the no tuner as limiting me to anything.

Anyway the tablet remote has nothing to do with the Hopper, it allows you to find shows and "Cast" them to the TV. It's a lot more intuitive than having apps built into the TV that aren't updated on a regular basis. If you have a Chromecast, this works very similar.

The TV and tablet is easy to setup. Just follow the instructions during setup. Apps are easy to use. If you start an app that supports casting, the TV will automatically switch to cast to allow you to watch what is on the app. The only thing I don't like is if you search for a program it does search across the available apps but it doesn't tell you ahead of time if it is on a free or a pay service.

The table does have an inductor charger that makes it easy to keep it charged.

I got an E series Vizio recently. I wanted to stay with a 1080 screen for now since my main viewing is DISH. I liked having the included tuner for weather issues also, but I can get important info on the internet in case the OTA signal goes (I don't have the greatest signal even with an antenna with amp).

It did take a bit of learning to get the TV and my Vizio soundbar set up on the app, but I was able to do it. On my iphone, it uses bluetooth and/or wireless to set up, but I "cast" things to the Vizio devices which are connected with wired ethernet out of choice. I pick say a youtube video on my laptop or maybe something from TuneIn radio on my iphone and send it to the tv/soundbar.

I like how it works. If there is a setup problem, I bet Vizio can help. I contacted support after I had set up the devices to get an answer to a question, but I was able to work my way through the setup by myself.

Reactions: papayazz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)