New VOOM Satellite & Current Equipment

Amphicar770

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 26, 2004
Hi All,

By now everyone has heard that VOOM plans to offer new programming from their new satellite as early as March.

I am scheduled to have VOOM installed this week. Will the dish and equipment that they are now deploying be able to see the new sat or will I be needing to do an upgrade two months from now?

Just trying to decide if I should postpone my install date.

Thanks.

I've had voom for a year now, and it's great as is. live in Ohio hands down better than anything cable has to offer or D & E. Just the OTA part is worth your time and money. I've seen post's where people want PBSyou ect. Don't understand why their local pbs stations don't have those running Wosu in OHIO has for a year now. back to your question. If AMC6 is the correct Bird you'll need a new dish and a linear lnbf to receive. I have FTA goto AMC6 everyday and of as this writing have seen nothing from AMC6 on the Voom REceiver, maybe need a upgraded software they still have to download to see both echo3 and AMC6, so don't buy because of 1 satellite but for all of the other excellent channels you'll get. " Very Happy with Voom " and you will be to.

I don't understand? you have 35 post's and some say your on voom others state you're not. what is the real anwser.? do you have voom or are your waiting to have it installed.

The answer for the new subscribers is that if you get your installation now, it is very likely that there will be an equipment upgrade when the second satellite becomes active. Right now, it is not active and there is no programming to be had by trying to pull it in.

There has been a lot of speculation about how it will be used, and rumor has it that IF you need to pull in both satellites, there will be a large elliptical dish that will be necessary. The truth is.....we don't know for sure what will happen.

My suggestion would be to go ahead with the installation if you have made up your mind that you want to try Voom. There is very little downside to prevent you from at least trying it. If you go with the lease program, I've read that Voom will upgrade your equipment (when necessary) and that you won't be charged. And you can always call 1-800-GET-VOOM to speak to somebody who should be able to tell you Voom's standard answer to the question.

Thanks Stone Man. My only fear is a long wait for the updgrade as they do not allow self-installs.

Kelljc .... In which posts do I say I currently have VOOM? I have posts saying I was thinking about it, and posts saying I have signed up and am awaiting install. Some other posts regarding E* which I currently have. Then again, as I am asking questions and not posing as a VOOM expert, it matters to you why? At least get you facts straight before becoming the self-appointed moderator of other people's posts.

And you can always call 1-800-GET-VOOM to speak to somebody who should be able to tell you Voom's standard answer to the question.[/QUOTE said:
That is one answer the Voom CSR will not have for you. They have no clue of the new hardware requirements and won't be informed untill the bird actually has the programming on it.

But the additional programming is promised and I am sure the programming will be available to those who wish to see it. When the time comes we will all have the answer. Maybe 2 weeks? :eek: Wish I had not said that but it is an old joke around here! :eek:

Amicar770
Sorry I just thought by all of your expert advise regarding voom and some of your questions you had voom installed. Question to You: why did you ask the question regarding AMC6. and Why is it such a blocking point with you. What " New programing has dish or DTV added the past 6 years.

Stone Man: I jimmy rigged a old Channel Master 24" and receive 99% on both Satellites, thru my FTA Reciever. Voom on Echo3 97%. So only a slight upgrade by voom would work. but to all of those who are looking Dish and DTV did not supply a new dish when they upgraded to their second satellite it was a selling point for new customers. Voom might do it the same way. Any other old timers your input or corrections of what I'ved stated would help all of the Newbie's.

AMC6 is only a blocking point in that VOOM has already announced new programming coming in March (or "Spring" depending on which press release you read). If delaying the install by 30 days would mean getting the right equipment then it just seems to make sense. Given all of VOOM's reported install issues, getting them out here the second time for an upgrade could take years!!

Amphicar770
If you have Dish Hd you must have a dish500, would be a fairly easy upgrade for Voom When it add's the new Bird. "" but for 3.00 " why wait, get it now and upgrade, I've enclosed a link that would help you point your Dish500 correctly. come on join the voomer's. http://www3.telus.net/rampage/skew.htm Here's another link for finding all satellites we can receive:: http://www.lyngsat.com/

I understand that the current sat is at 61.5. where is the new one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)