New wanna be antenna user needs direction please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

heep70

Original poster
Mar 10, 2022
Bonney Lake wa
Hi, I am new to wanting to use an antenna and be cable free. Tired of paying for crap Cable TV! I have been monkeying around with a cheap one I got of amazon. Works pretty good but the stations kinda fad in and out. I am looking for recommendations to what antenna would work best in my area. Something simple and sweet. I do have a older powered antenna rotatory I can use to help out. I would like to get as many channels as possible of course but the main channels I would like would be 4, 5, 7, 11, & 13 for western Washington state. I did the rabbitEars search and this is what I came up with. Any help to ease the pain of searching for an antenna would be fantastic. Thank you, Greg

Looks like the ones you most want are all UHF. Oh, wait. 11 is on RF11... This would cause me to recommend the one I use (which reaches from northern VA past the DC stations all the way to Baltimore) which works just fine for my high VHF stations 7 and 9. But those are all in one direction, whereas your stations are spread out all over the place. :(

Which antenna do you use?

The channels 4, 5, 7, 11 & 13 are all in the (true) direction range of 344.9 - 348.4 degrees. Just in the poor category. With that cheap antenna I do get all but channels 4 and 13. They also fade sometimes. As I mentioned above I do have a motor to remotely turn the mast so I can move it to the desired channel.

What tells you they are high or low VHF, UHF or RF or whatever? I wanna learn this stuff. Someone told me I need an yagi and a flat looking antenna (I forgot the name). One was high and the other was low frequency. Is there one for both?

Reactions: TheKrell
I'm not home right now, & have a sucky signal. Look up the NEWEST Televes Dat Boss Mix LR model antenna. Just released in the last month or so. I don't have the model number in front of me now, but I think the last numbers are 149884. I can check later at home. High VHF & UHF. Https://www.nesselectronics.com. You won't be sorry buying that one. I have the model just before it, AND mine is UHF only. It can pick up stations a very long way away. On sale about $180 right now, and worth every penny!

I'm not home right now, & have a sucky signal. Look up the NEWEST Televes Dat Boss Mix LR model antenna. Just released in the last month or so. I don't have the model number in front of me now, but I think the last numbers are 149884. I can check later at home. High VHF & UHF. Https://www.nesselectronics.com. You won't be sorry buying that one. I have the model just before it, AND mine is UHF only. It can pick up stations a very long way away. On sale about $180 right now, and worth every penny!
This one? I have read about this one. Has pretty good reviews.

Televes 149884 DATBOSS MIX LR Repack Ready! U/hi-V Antenna W/5G Filtered Preamp, UHF/high-VHF, Long Range/Fringe-Deep Fringe​

Regular price $179.95

This one? I have read about this one. Has pretty good reviews.

Televes 149884 DATBOSS MIX LR Repack Ready! U/hi-V Antenna W/5G Filtered Preamp, UHF/high-VHF, Long Range/Fringe-Deep Fringe​

Regular price $179.95
Yep, that's the one. Better VHF, & redesigned. It should work perfect for you.

Reactions: heep70
So I don't need an
It reads "The antenna has been completely redesigned for reception of TV signals on RF channels 7-36 improving gain and range over previous generations". Will it pick up channel 4 & 5 out my way? Thanks

Komo and King? Yes, those are UHF channels. The numbers in brackets ( ) behind the channel number you are used to, are the REAL Rf channels they are broadcasting on. Those are what you use to pick out an appropriate antenna

Reactions: TheKrell
So I don't need an

It reads "The antenna has been completely redesigned for reception of TV signals on RF channels 7-36 improving gain and range over previous generations". Will it pick up channel 4 & 5 out my way? Thanks
A little explanation might help here. When you look at the RabbitEars chart, KOMO for instance, is listed as "4-1 (30)". "4-1" is the channel designation used in the TV listings and "4" is shown on screen, but the actual RF broadcast channel is UHF channel 30. When the stations were required to switch from analog to digital signals, in many cases they were assigned to new RF channels during the transition. To avoid viewer confusion, the stations were allowed to keep the previous channel identification, and the TV tuners are programmed to know that selecting channel "4" is really channel "30" after rescanning. Yes, it's confusing, but the chart shows both, so use the RF channel for antenna selections.

Komo and King? Yes, those are UHF channels. The numbers in brackets ( ) behind the channel number you are used to, are the REAL Rf channels they are broadcasting on. Those are what you use to pick out an appropriate antenna

Yes, king and komo. I get it now. Thank you
A little explanation might help here. When you look at the RabbitEars chart, KOMO for instance, is listed as "4-1 (30)". "4-1" is the channel designation used in the TV listings and "4" is shown on screen, but the actual RF broadcast channel is UHF channel 30. When the stations were required to switch from analog to digital signals, in many cases they were assigned to new RF channels during the transition. To avoid viewer confusion, the stations were allowed to keep the previous channel identification, and the TV tuners are programmed to know that selecting channel "4" is really channel "30" after rescanning. Yes, it's confusing, but the chart shows both, so use the RF channel for antenna selections.

Perfect, I understand now. Thank you

Keep us posted, heep70 ! I live south of Puyallup, and have not been able to get anything over the air.

Unfortunately, the transmitters for KING (NBC), KIRO (CBS), and KOMO (ABC) are all on towers in Seattle proper, instead of up on a mountain. This works okay for getting into Tacoma across the water, but it leaves the rest of us with weak to no signal. I think this is an intentional decision, so they can earn subscriber fees by forcing rural folks to subscription TV. (That's why I have FTA satellite!)

Keep us posted, heep70 ! I live south of Puyallup, and have not been able to get anything over the air.

Unfortunately, the transmitters for KING (NBC), KIRO (CBS), and KOMO (ABC) are all on towers in Seattle proper, instead of up on a mountain. This works okay for getting into Tacoma across the water, but it leaves the rest of us with weak to no signal. I think this is an intentional decision, so they can earn subscriber fees by forcing rural folks to subscription TV. (That's why I have FTA satellite!)
Yes, it kinda sucks our way for OTA channels. It will be a bit before I can proceed. I got a few other irons in the fire that need completed and then I will get back to this fun stuff. I am pretty dumb to it all and got some learning to do. I will let reply a soon as I can.

Reactions: k1cza
Have you considered an antenna booster with your present antenna?
Mine has a booster. It is a cheap china antenna. It is one of them Lava plastic small knock off antennas that can rotate. It actually does alright for what it is. I just know I can get better and I really want the local channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)