New York's Grand Old Stadiums/Arenas

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
I love these types of photos. I only wish I could have been to these places.

MSG (MSG I) - Rangers and Knicks never played here, late 1800s
msg4.jpg

MSG (MSG II) - Rangers and Knicks never played here, early 1900s. There were some amateur hockey games played.
msg3.jpg

MSG (MSG III)
msg1.jpg

msg2.jpg

Ebbets Field:
ebbets1.jpg

ebbets2.jpg

Polo Grounds:
pologrounds1.jpg

pologrounds2.jpg

pologrounds3.jpg

What's left? Only the staircase that came down from coogans bluff. Down the staircase here would be the Pologrounds:
pologrounds4.jpg

pologrounds5.jpg

Last edited:
I like seeing old pictures of stadiums from years past.

...in such stark contrast to Shea Stadium (blech, and I'm a METS FAN), and MSG IV, which is just hideous-looking, and tore down a bonafide treasure of a landmark (the original Penn Station) to build!

I've been collecting stadium photos and books for years. I had been to Forbes Field in 1968, last year my Son had to go to Pittsburgh on business so I tagged along. He took be up to Schenely Park where Forbes was located. It's really great what they have done tp perserve it. The have a brick path following the outfield wall starting at the left field foul pole going toward centerfield with a plaque showing where the Maz homer went over. The centerfirld wall is still standing along with the flag pole in front of the 457ft marker. The best part is that the Univeristy od Pittsburgh has an office building on the infield. When you go into the lobby home plate is encased in glass built into the brick floor in it's origional location with the foul lines painted on the floor, the leftfield one following the length of the building, out on the side walk, all the way to the fore mentioned foul pole. It's a great place to visit, especially if you had been to the place when it was standing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts