Newb here....contract with Dish expired, but they said we don't have any offers, what is everyone el

Here's what you lose if you switch to DirecTV here on planet earth:

BBCA
Bloomberg
Centric
Cooking
DIY
G4
Gala
GSN
H2
HLN
Hub
ID
LMN
Logo
Mav
NatGeo Wild
OWN
Pixl
RFD
Sportsman
Style
TCM
Veria
Epix1
Epix2
Epix3

That's something like 25% of the basic lineup, so it's a pretty big hit, even in terrestrial terms. Of course you gain Disney and some sports channels.

But getting back to the original topic. Everyone complains their provider won't give them the new customer deals. I don't like it that I can't get the new customer deals either, but that's the way it is. The OP will be posting the same thing in the DirecTV forums 2 years from now and switch back. If you don't care about content and just want the biggest discount. You have no choice but to switch every 2 years.

after switching i really didnt notice any loss
i must not watch those channels that i dont get
but i do notice more sports channels

Well, they noted that "We really want to stay, but our receiver is consistently freezing up and having issues now......". So it sounds like they need their receiver replaced... though I don't know whether they have to upgrade to the Hopper. Probably can make with a replacement 722k for free.

The whole discount on programming after having been around for two years get tiring.

For sure. Not many people were offered the hopper upgrade for $100, so that was a deal there. Without a doubt, dish would replace their unit with a comparable one.

Everyone complains their provider won't give them the new customer deals. I don't like it that I can't get the new customer deals either, but that's the way it is. The OP will be posting the same thing in the DirecTV forums 2 years from now and switch back. If you don't care about content and just want the biggest discount. You have no choice but to switch every 2 years.

This has been the case from some time, yet so many people keep complaining about it.

This may not be the best example but everyone knows what the prices are going to be when they sign up. You got a great deal when you signed up now you need to pay the regular price. If that is not exceptable then you have the right to switch providers, but don't expect to get more and more discounts just because you want them. It's hard enough running a business.

This is exactly right. Cannot understand why people do not realize they were given a GREAT deal when they signed up. They must have blinders on, or something, and just think that is regular price.

keep saying it- they need to change the system to where after "X" number of years as a good paying customer, then you will be eligible for different types of discounts. But the roll over numbers look good to investors and that is what matters most.

Liked the comparison to home ownership. Look at where the refinancing debacle has got us. A better comparison would be to TAXES. every homeowner knows about those shenanigans.

I do not really see the issue that some seem to have here.

He wants to spend less, most everyone would given the option to.
So he asked, which never hurts. All they can say is yes or no. If they choose not to extend a discount, the OP is no longer under any obligation, so he can either accept that or go elsewhere.
That does not strike me as having a sense of entitlement at all.

Here's what you lose if you switch to DirecTV here on planet earth:

BBCA
Bloomberg
Centric
Cooking
DIY
G4
Gala
GSN
H2
HLN
Hub
ID
LMN
Logo
Mav
NatGeo Wild
OWN
Pixl
RFD
Sportsman
Style
TCM
Veria
Epix1
Epix2
Epix3

That's something like 25% of the basic lineup, so it's a pretty big hit, even in terrestrial terms. Of course you gain Disney and some sports channels.

But getting back to the original topic. Everyone complains their provider won't give them the new customer deals. I don't like it that I can't get the new customer deals either, but that's the way it is. The OP will be posting the same thing in the DirecTV forums 2 years from now and switch back. If you don't care about content and just want the biggest discount. You have no choice but to switch every 2 years.

Which of those channels are "basic"??

Those are all higher tier channels, that you would have to pay extra for if you desire them.

And most of them are niche or fringe channels.

Call dish with your wife's name and sub as a new customer. See what they offer. In my opinion its too much of trouble to go through to save a few $'s. Dish typically has its own ways to kick you up in charges when starting up a new account. I've been with dish for about 15 years and ever time I call them, its not a sweet ride.

I remember the days they charged me 1200 for purchasing 2 vip622's as they wouldn't lease them due to no line of sight on 110 which limited my subscription to internationals.

In my opinion its too much of trouble to go through to save a few $'s.
I dont know, there can be considerable savings involved when it comes to new customer pricing versus regular pricing (assuming you get no discounts).

I know my swap over and getting the NC pricing will save us $500 over the two year contract period. Not bad for a couple of hours of my saturday morning. At least IMO.

1) OP=She, not he. She referenced dh, which usually means "Dear Husband". Unless he's in a gay marriage.
2)You are being offered a great deal on an equipment upgrade. If you don't want that, get your receiver replaced with one that works without the issues.
3) Suck it up. Dish has rates that everyone pays. New subs are treated different. Some get programming compensation credits for service issues. If this is not agreeable, call Claude to get D* lined up or your local cableco.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to save money, but being in business it gets frustrating listening to people complain all the time about paying for things they want. Everyone should know ahead of time what their bill should be after the promotions so I see no reason to complain. I can understand the customers that have been with Dish for over 5 years but the ones that just finished their contract drive me crazy.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to save money, but being in business it gets frustrating listening to people complain all the time about paying for things they want. Everyone should know ahead of time what their bill should be after the promotions so I see no reason to complain. I can understand the customers that have been with Dish for over 5 years but the ones that just finished their contract drive me crazy.
I understand as I am in business myself, however customers will ask, its just part of it. We can always say no, which it appears this is what they did.

I do understand the rest of your point though, I just do not necessarily see it as "complaining". :)

Last edited:
My apologies if I missed signs about the OP being female. No disrespect intended on my end.:up

That does make sense when you are first buying a house. I compare this situation more to this: He negotiated and got a great price for the house when he started. Now he's had his house for a few years and decides, hey, I don't want to pay this much anymore. Now he says, can I have my house cheaper?

This may not be the best example but everyone knows what the prices are going to be when they sign up. You got a great deal when you signed up now you need to pay the regular price. If that is not exceptable then you have the right to switch providers, but don't expect to get more and more discounts just because you want them. It's hard enough running a business.
You can renegotiate your loan. You can even have your house reassessed to lower your property taxes. Yes, even after you buy your house you can still negotiate the cost.

I do not really see the issue that some seem to have here.

He wants to spend less, most everyone would given the option to.
So he asked, which never hurts. All they can say is yes or no. If they choose not to extend a discount, the OP is no longer under any obligation, so he can either accept that or go elsewhere.
That does not strike me as having a sense of entitlement at all.
+1

You can renegotiate you loan. You can even have your house reassessed to lower your property taxes. Yes, even after you buy your house you can still negotiate the cost.

Doesn't change the fact that if it is mortgaged, you are paying interest. refinance = closing costs. Home reassessed = fighting the appraisal district and paying all the fees associated.

I understand as I am in business myself, however customers will ask, its just part of it. We can always say no, which it appears this is what they did.

I do understand the rest of your point though, I just do not necessarily see it as "complaining". :)

Very true. I agree that not all people are complaining. Some are just inquiring, in never hurts to ask. It seems the majority complain though. ;)

yaz96 said:
Which of those channels are "basic"??

Those are all higher tier channels, that you would have to pay extra for if you desire them.

And most of them are niche or fringe channels.

Totally disagree with you. Most cable channels are niche. That's why they exist. Basic in this context means not premium. Only Epix and a couple of others are premium. Most are in AT200 and AT250, mainstream packages. Many pf the SD versions are in DirecTV's mainstream (most popular) packages. You can't get them at all (in HD) on DirecTV no matter how much you pay.

If you couldn't care less about anything on that list, good for you. That gives you lots of options. For those of us who do like some of those channels, Dish is the only option. Just like DirecTV is the only option for Sunday Ticket fans.

I don't think there are any promotions that the DIRT has for regular customers. My monthly is about 159 and nothing additional could be done. Given the fact that I get $10 off per month upto 12 months. This I got to offset the upgrade cost of the VIP 922 of 200 which eventually they put to rest. Now they wouldn't upgrade me to the hopper without the 200 upgrade fee yet again for 2 Hoppers.

It's a bitter sweet deal. Good for the consumer sorta and not so good for the satellite businesses. Basically they are having to pay several times to acquire the same customers since the competition is also offering the deals. People will keep switching between companies as long as they can get a new customer deal every time they come back. I am surprised that they do not keep track of who they gave the deals to and not offer them such a good deal the next time. Since they are reusing the equipment and not paying the retailers as much when the customer comes back that it is not costing them all that much to get the customer back.

Did a little CSR roulette today online and was told that the only thing available was half price premiums for 6 months. No more freebies. My contract is not up until July, not sure if this will change anything.

I really do not understand how changing to Direct actually translates into savings...I have a 722K that services my main set and a small set in a bedroom. I get all the programing I am interested in for $59.99 plus taxes and fees. When I recently checked into the possibility of switching to see if I could save anything, I found it would cost me more even with a new customer discount. Mainly because Direct does not have a unit that will service two televisions. I have been a happy Dish customer for 9 years and plan on staying with them unless I decided to switch to just OTA viewing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)