Newb questions on Dish Network service.

Mongo53

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Southern Maryland
I want to switch from Cable to Satellite, and I'm considering Dish Network, but have a few questions abot their service I do NOT see on their website.

Receivers need to phone home?? Is this for Updating guides and use 2 way like "On-Demand"?

I have VOIP (Ooma) and Cable Modem with Ethernet ports just about every point I'd place a Receiver. If the phone home function is required, can I use ethernet to do it over the internet? OR at the very least, will it function reliably over VOIP? Yes, I know about the *99 for less compression and better data transfer, fax has been awful with my VOIP, even using *99.

I have 2 analog TV sets, seen a few things that indicate new subscribers get all HD receivers? If that is true, the HD receivers have the option of using analog outputs to run an analog TV, the "F" coax out is plain old NTSC, right?

Saw that Dish Network does NOT charge a fee for extra TV sets, very appealing to me. If that is true, then what is the pay scheme for additional receivers? Buy them outright, lease them, but the lease is part of the standard service fee, i.e. additional recievers are free? I want 5 receivers, 3 HD, 2 Analog.

Finally, I know they offer free install, which I've been told means the dish and equipment is free. BUT, I've seen the job free installers have done pulling cables into people's homes, I'd rather do it myself and make sure its done right, if its necessary.

The Dish Network equipment, works off a single coax per receiver correct? I do NOT need two coax per reciever, correct? What is the standard for the cable? Just any old RG6 under 100' is fine, OR do I need RG6U OR RG6UQ, any other specs, quad shield (pretty sure that is Q) 3GHz bandwitdth, solid copper conductor, etc.?

We have slinglinks so as long as that device is plugged into a modem/router (HD receivers only) and the receiver and slinglink are plugged into the wall you're connected.

If you qualify for all HD equip then yes, you get it. Most HD receivers no longer have a coax out.

You won't get 5 receivers. You get 3 max, but they can also be dual tuners (1HD tv, 1 SD tv, 1 receiver) so your TV config will work with the number of TVs you want. You can watch 2 different things at the same time on those receivers.

The workmanship all lies on whoever does the install. Personally I do each one as if it was my home but this isn't always the case. Offer to help the guy out and don't be afraid to ask to have the coax secured a little better or neatened up.

The coax cannot be shared with any other "cable" service. Solid copper, copper-clad steel RG6 is fine and quad shielded coax is overkill. 2150MHz or more is required. I would personally have the technician run the coax into the home from the dish since it requires expensive "dual RG6 w/ messenger wire."

We have slinglinks so as long as that device is plugged into a modem/router (HD receivers only) and the receiver and slinglink are plugged into the wall you're connected.
Slinglinks? Is this the networked over the AC power plugs? Eitherway, I'm covered, I don't have to use a phone line, I can use internet via enthernet.

You won't get 5 receivers. You get 3 max, but they can also be dual tuners (1HD tv, 1 SD tv, 1 receiver) so your TV config will work with the number of TVs you want. You can watch 2 different things at the same time on those receivers.
That means I get 3 max as part of the "FREE" Install, OR that means I get 3 MAX as it is a limit for Dish Network? If I can add additional recievers over the ones I get with the free install, whats the cost? I buy them outright, pay extra monthly fees for extra receivers?

Slinglinks? Is this the networked over the AC power plugs? Eitherway, I'm covered, I don't have to use a phone line, I can use internet via enthernet.

That means I get 3 max as part of the "FREE" Install, OR that means I get 3 MAX as it is a limit for Dish Network? If I can add additional recievers over the ones I get with the free install, whats the cost? I buy them outright, pay extra monthly fees for extra receivers?
Yes.

3 receivers max, 6 TVs total. (3 dual tuners.) You can have more than 3 but they are hesitant. Receivers have to be bought outright after 3. Cost of receivers can be found @ The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25

remember after the primary all dual tuner boxes are 17 bucks each per month. that can add up I believe extra 922s vare 20 bucks per receiver perr month??

OK, I have to buy the receiver outright, and then still pay monthly fees?

Do I have to buy from The Dish Store? I see them sold at other retailers.

How much extra /month for the Solo311?

In a DirecTV vs Dish Network Comparison, they said the Dish Network does NOT charge for additional TV's, I guess that was wrong? This is disappointing.

Finally, dual tuners, I see that the 2nd tuner is control by an RF remote. Is there anyway to control both tuners by an IR blaster or PC to change channels for both with a PC. Please do NOT try to talk me into a DVR, been there done that, I want to get my HTPC working again.

The fee you pay is the leasing fee. The monthly fee's still apply. This goes for both E* and D*

You can sign up for new service wherever, just find the best deal.

no idea on this one

You are charged a fee for each reciever, extra fee if it is a DVR

The RF is for controlling the second tv. You can still access both tuners via the IR remote. However play back of second would require the RF signal afaik

The fee you pay is the leasing fee. The monthly fee's still apply. This goes for both E* and D*
Fee after fee, NON of them ever mentioned on the website?

I guess I'm suppose to sign up and then find out it costs $35/month more than was ever mentioned?

Where do I find out the bottom line, please tell me its before I sign a contract, am I going to have to waste an hour on the phone to just to hang up in disgust?

I'm starting to realize why all my neighbors have Directv Dishes on their homes.

Fee after fee, NON of them ever mentioned on the website?

I guess I'm suppose to sign up and then find out it costs $35/month more than was ever mentioned?

Where do I find out the bottom line, please tell me its before I sign a contract, am I going to have to waste an hour on the phone to just to hang up in disgust?

I'm starting to realize why all my neighbors have Directv Dishes on their homes.

Most fanboys here will try and defend one over the other, but in regards to "fees" they both have them.

Here is my D* bill for example. 3 rooms, 1 has DVR. HD access. MVR

I am charged $10 for HD
I am charge $15 for three reciever, but recieve $5 credit for one
I am charged $7 for the DVR access
I am charged $3 for Multi room viewing.

but yes, E* or D* will make you first year affordable, but wants the credit expire. your bill will jump dramatically. This is why people tell you to call and complain all the time so you get more credits :p

Attachments

• bill.jpg
    bill.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 158
Here is my D* bill for example. 3 rooms, 1 has DVR. HD access. MVR

I am charged $10 for HD
I am charge $15 for three reciever, but recieve $5 credit for one
I am charged $7 for the DVR access
I am charged $3 for Multi room viewing.
Thank You, very usefull info, why they can't put that info on their website? Granted none of their competitors do either, which is probably why.

You pay $15 for three receivers, but recieve $5 credit for one, is that $15 "TOTAL" for 3 recievers or $15 "EACH" for reciever for a total of $45?

Dual Receivers, basic Duo Vip 222k and/or 311 SD only, are they $17 a month like some have posted? If so, wouldn't it be cheaper to to get 2 individual Vip 211k's? Does Dish charge lease fees for Multi-Switches?

If you begin the process of online ordering with DISH Network or DIRECTV, you'll see all of the fees. The only price that will likely change radically is the programming fees after the first year. DISH's programming fees increase $15-16 and DIRECTV's programming fees go up $29 after 12 months.

The major gotcha fee with respect to satellite is the Early Termination Fee. DISH Network charges $17.50 per month that you don't fulfill your commitment and DIRECTV charges $20/month.

Thanks, sounds like what I thought at least, Dish is a little cheaper than Directv.

Now its just a matter of can I get it cheaper than COMCAST.

At the least it appears now that COMCAST has completed their digital transition in my area, basically turning their service into 1990's satellite over cable, I'm getting a lot less for the same over inflated price; with Satellite, even if I pay a little more, I'll getting a lot more, and it will be cheaper than what I'd have to pay Comcast to get the same amount of HD and extra channels.

Pricing for Dish:

DVR Dual Tuner - $17/ month + $6 for the "service"
Non-DVR dual tuner - $14/month
Solo DVR - $10/ month + $6 for the "service"
Solo non-DVR - $7/ month

The DVR charge only shows up once, so if you have 2 DVRs you still only pay $6.

I would personally have the technician run the coax into the home from the dish since it requires expensive "dual RG6 w/ messenger wire."
Just out of curiousity, whats the purpose of the "messenger wire" where does it connect? This composite cable is still just two RG6 cables and a wire molded together, two individual RG6 coax and a wire seperate would work equally well, provided the are the minimal quality needed?

Pricing for Dish:

DVR Dual Tuner - $17/ month + $6 for the "service"
Non-DVR dual tuner - $14/month
Solo DVR - $10/ month + $6 for the "service"
Solo non-DVR - $7/ month

The DVR charge only shows up once, so if you have 2 DVRs you still only pay $6.
Ouch;

I see no difference for HD and SD recievers? I've seen things indicating that Dish is just issuing HD recievers, you have an SD TV, you just use the HD reciever with SD outputs, all the same price? Is that true?

Whats the difference between getting a Non-DVR dual tuner and two seperate Solo non-DVR? Seems the price works out the same? I'm guessing the DishPro technology and dual tuner recievers only saves you from having to add the cost of a multi-switch to make more solo recievers work off the same dish.

So I have 3 TV's and a dual tuner recording device, 5 inputs needing service total, to get service to all 5, no matter what the combination of recievers/dual tuners, it will be an additional $35/month on top of the monthly cost of the packages I select, listed on the website?

I keep hearing mention of buying recievers, and see them advertised for sale on the internet. Do I have the option of buying my reciever (I understand it would have to be the right model to work with my particular dish) and avoid paying monthly leasing fees? The prices I see on the internet, the equipment would easily pay for itself within a year and a half.

Just out of curiousity, whats the purpose of the "messenger wire" where does it connect? This composite cable is still just two RG6 cables and a wire molded together, two individual RG6 coax and a wire seperate would work equally well, provided the are the minimal quality needed?

Ouch;

I see no difference for HD and SD recievers? I've seen things indicating that Dish is just issuing HD recievers, you have an SD TV, you just use the HD reciever with SD outputs, all the same price? Is that true?

Whats the difference between getting a Non-DVR dual tuner and two seperate Solo non-DVR? Seems the price works out the same? I'm guessing the DishPro technology and dual tuner recievers only saves you from having to add the cost of a multi-switch to make more solo recievers work off the same dish.

So I have 3 TV's and a dual tuner recording device, 5 inputs needing service total, to get service to all 5, no matter what the combination of recievers/dual tuners, it will be an additional $35/month on top of the monthly cost of the packages I select, listed on the website?

I keep hearing mention of buying recievers, and see them advertised for sale on the internet. Do I have the option of buying my reciever (I understand it would have to be the right model to work with my particular dish) and avoid paying monthly leasing fees? The prices I see on the internet, the equipment would easily pay for itself within a year and a half.

Messenger wire is for grounding purposes. It connects to a lug on the dish to the grounding block. The grounding block has a 10g wire running to a ground source.

Yes, eventually I believe Dish wants to go purely mpeg4 which only the HD (ViP) receivers can decode. The HD receivers are the same price as SD. The difference between solo and dual tuner receivers has to be cost and inventory for the company. Keep in mind the most expensive receiver is included with the programming free, so you would only add what you have after that.

Buying receivers is pointless because it still costs as much as leasing because of the "access fee" to have the receivers active on the account. The only upside is that you can do whatever you want with it whether it be sell, destroy, etc.

...Keep in mind the most expensive receiver is included with the programming free, so you would only add what you have after that.
OK, so definitely an advantage for at least one dual tuner for myself, so then I would only have to pay for 3 more tuners, so only $21/month over the package cost.

Buying receivers is pointless because it still costs as much as leasing because of the "access fee" to have the receivers active on the account. The only upside is that you can do whatever you want with it whether it be sell, destroy, etc.
So even if I buy the reciever, I still have to pay $7/month to hook it up, or is the "access fee" less than the "lease"? Granted, I won't be surprised, if there is a difference, its NOT enough to make purchasing equipment practical.

Yes, depending on what receiver you get.

Also, if someone could chime in and clarify that if you own the DVR do you still pay for the DVR service fee?
Part of the DVR service is downloading the content guides for operating the DVR, my guess, is yes, you would still pay it, but I don't know anymore than you; so confirmation is still needed for others that might read the thread.

I want to hook up a HTPC, and even a TiVo, there is no way for Dish Network to tell if its any different than another TV set (correct?). You just have to deal with the hassle of connecting a reciever to the device and setting up the control with IR blaster to replace the remote.

Some stated earlier in the thread that the dual tuner, Duo Vip 222k, is capable of controlling both tuners from the IR remote. Can anyone confirm that? As well, has anyone setup WMC (Win7) IR blaster to control a Duo Vip 222k to control both tuners and have dual tuning for WMC?

I'm sure those with dual tuner DVR's will attest, once you've had it, you never want to go back. Same goes for having a dual tuner in a HTPC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts