Newbie asks-Is this considered piracy??

BobaBird said:
I expect better from one who champions the causes of correct spelling and proper usage. :p
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=irregardless

From your own link, it says, "It is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing." This qualifies as casual writing and is, therefore, entirely correct. (For formal writings, the usage would be incorrect.) Now, you can stick your tongue back in your mouth and shut up. :D

Actually, we only watch the TV just before bed or if it rains all day. We do hike and swim, the usual stuff, but nothing like a little Dish to help you fall asleep.

sprintcarcrazy said:
Actually, we only watch the TV just before bed or if it rains all day. We do hike and swim, the usual stuff, but nothing like a little Dish to help you fall asleep.

That's it!!! Instead of the Clock Channel, Dish could have the Counting Sheep Channel or perhaps call it the zzzzzzzzzzzz channel. They could even replace the Dish logo on the extra ESPN channels with it so it wouldn't take up that much more bandwidth. They just need to make sure they only play some pleasant music or natural sounds like the ocean or crickets.

Block caller id???

I know there is a way to block you caller id on an outgoing call (*67, I think). I wonder if you put this in as a dialing prefix could you then conect the receiver at the cabin and order PPV or whatever without setting off any flags???

pcbelize said:
I know there is a way to block you caller id on an outgoing call (*67, I think). I wonder if you put this in as a dialing prefix could you then conect the receiver at the cabin and order PPV or whatever without setting off any flags???
NO!!!!
As has been said many times, Caller ID is NOT used when you call an 800 type number. They use a service called ANI, which cannot be blocked.

pcbelize said:

Unfortunately the *67 only blocks caller ID sent between ring pulses. The 800 service used by Dish supplies a different type of caller id and is not affected by *67 that you would key in.

Jack

jcanavera said:
Unfortunately the *67 only blocks caller ID sent between ring pulses. The 800 service used by Dish supplies a different type of caller id and is not affected by *67 that you would key in.

Jack

n0qcu posted this exact information more than an hour and a half prior. No need to post it two times in a row.

Just to stir things up a little bit... :)

What would you guys think the policy is on taking a reciever with you for tailgating? We regularly setup a tripod dish, and a tv in the tailgate for some good pregaming....

Does that count as a different location? What exact would the "address" of the other location be? Also, would we be required to purchase the commercial package since theoretically, our tv could be viewed by the 1000s of other rowdy tailgaters. I just ask because, you know, I want to be in full compliance :yes

PS. No the reciever is not hooked to a phone line while we are in the parking lot.

HokieEngineer said:

What would you guys think the policy is on taking a reciever with you for tailgating? We regularly setup a tripod dish, and a tv in the tailgate for some good pregaming....

Does that count as a different location? What exact would the "address" of the other location be? Also, would we be required to purchase the commercial package since theoretically, our tv could be viewed by the 1000s of other rowdy tailgaters. I just ask because, you know, I want to be in full compliance :yes

PS. No the reciever is not hooked to a phone line while we are in the parking lot.

Don't worry about it. I think the consensus is that, regardless of what the official rule may be (which is up for interpretation), it's temporary and it's fine. I don't think DISH or anyone else would expect you to open a whole new account for a tailgating party.

I must say that I really like that idea. TV+grilled food+parking lot=fun. :)

HokieEngineer said:

Technically it's probably against the rules. It's a grey area. If dish was really anal retentive, they could do something. But in reality, they could care less.

You could consider it a part of an RV which Dish allows (and would also could get you distant networks), but you need to send in your vehical registration to prove that you actually have it. Sending in your registration for your minivan or SUV probably isn't sufficient...although some minivans can get satellite TV nowadays.

Many people take their receivers with them to go up to a lake cottage or something similar. In my view, it's morally and ethically ok to tailgate or move the receiver between locations as long as both locations are not utilizing the signal at the same time.

Hmm sometimes we go to my grandparents cottage to visit for a few weeks and they have Antenna up there, only get about 5 channels and on those rainy days or really really hot days we're normally really bored reading old wrestling magazines. Think someone could show me where to buy a portable dish? I already have a 301 receiver. Or if it's against the rules to tell me just don't reply :).

Hi. Last summer I had to install a dual 301 system in a camper at a campground. They were moving in there and staying until fall. When I went to call in and activate it, the CSR told me that because it was a lease it could not be installed in a camper, RV or any other "moving" residence because the customer didn't own it and if they got into an accident it would be E* property that was damaged not the subscriber. She said if they purchased the units or went through any other non lease promotion then it would be ok. After some heavy discussion from the customer and the CSR they agreed to not "move" the camper for the entire time they were under contract. It seemed silly to me. I guess from this experience I have always assumed it was alright as long as it was not a lease.

LM

PILMAN said:
Hmm sometimes we go to my grandparents cottage to visit for a few weeks and they have Antenna up there, only get about 5 channels and on those rainy days or really really hot days we're normally really bored reading old wrestling magazines. Think someone could show me where to buy a portable dish? I already have a 301 receiver. Or if it's against the rules to tell me just don't reply :).
Why bother with a portable? Just hang a regular Dish500 and leave it.

But if you must, tripod, bucket of cement, or concrete block is good enough.

Note for all: When mving receivers, if the LNB types don't match (Legacy vs. DishPro), you can be in for trouble. There's ways to do it right, but just match your LNBs - it's much easier and safer.

hmm so when I go up there just buy a dish 500? I am using Dish PRO LNBF am I in trouble? Also will I need a switch if it's only going to one receiver? I would think I can just run the feed directly to the receiver. Also how to point? Anything out there to tell you if your getting a signal?

The standard Dish500 box includes a DP Twin LNBF. If that's what you've got at home, then it's by far the best move to just duplicate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)