Newbie checkin' in and looking for help

JoeCamper

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2014
Madison, SD
Hey guys,
I've been a Hopper customer for a number of years, but at the end of July, we retired, sold our home and started living full time in our RV. We took our Hopper with us and I opted to get a tripod and a dish and manually align instead of using one of the automatic systems. As an ex-electronic technician, I thought this would be easy. Hmm... Anyway, I pretty much got the hang of it and have been doing pretty well. That is, until we arrived in Salem, South Dakota. That's when I learned that I could no longer get national channels and local stations on an eastern arc LNB. So, I found a DISH retailer and bought a western arc LNB. Signal strength doesn't seem to be as strong as the eastern arc satellites, but that's not my question. When I arrived in Mason City, Iowa yesterday, I assumed we had traveled far enough east that I would need my eastern arc LNB. After setting up, I called DISH to change my service address and still couldn't get local channels. After three agents in their technical department, I finally got one that figured out I was aimed at the wrong satellites. So, my question is, how do you know which satellites you must be aimed at for a given location? I chatted with a DISH agent this morning and he said he didn't have anything available and suggested you guys. Is seems to me there must be a chart or map that would show that imaginary line through the center of our country. Anybody know? Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to Iowa! What local stations are you trying to receive? Local stations are sent down as spot beams and only cover a certain areas. Once you are out of that area you can no longer receive those locals and would have to call Dish in order to change your location and get the current local stations in your area.

Here is The List, which shows what markets are in each Arc. Easiest to hit Market column head to sort alphabetically. Iowa, definitely WA.

The dividing line is generally in the eastern Midwest.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=sub

I'm in Eastern Iowa and we are Western Arc. As soon as you cross the Mississippi and get into East Dubuque they are Eastern Arc.

Conus east and west coast locals would eliminate a ton of these issues.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Thanks guys. When you receive the local stations, you get ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC. Local news is good, but mostly we want those 4 major networks because most of what we watch is on those networks. So, here in Mason City, I get Rochester, Minnesota. If those 4 networks were available with normal HD programs in the 100 to 299 range, I probably wouldn't worry about getting the local spot. Also, if I could plug in an OTA antenna to the Hopper and receive programming like I understand you can do with other receivers, that would work. It was a real shock when I got to Salem, SD and hooked up my dish and was getting great signals on the eastern satellites and they said I had to be aimed at the western satellites to get local channels! Little by little, I'm learning! LOL!

You can buy the OTA dongle for the Hopper and get those OTA stations. The dongle plugs into one of the USB ports. It costs $30 from Dish...

I'm in Eastern Iowa and we are Western Arc. As soon as you cross the Mississippi and get into East Dubuque they are Eastern Arc.
As we were heading west, we stopped in Pacific Junction, Iowa and I'm pretty sure we got locals. I do remember setting up the dish and receiving the eastern arc sats. At the time, I didn't even own a western arc LNB. Is it possible that a DISH agent gave me some sort of spot? Maybe I just don't remember too well and we just looked at the upper channels.
Anyway, I'm in Mason City, IA and getting all my programing and my wife can record and/or watch her soaps and life is good! Next stop is Knoxville, IL. I'll have to figure out those charts that KAB provided and see if Knoxville is eastern or western. Probably eastern, but that's what I thought when I got here! LOL!

Is OTA dongle something I get from DISH? Thanks.
Yes. Order from Store when you are in your account on the Dish site. $30.00. Would probably make things a lot easier for you.

Yes, Knoxville is EA.

As we were heading west, we stopped in Pacific Junction, Iowa and I'm pretty sure we got locals. I do remember setting up the dish and receiving the eastern arc sats. At the time, I didn't even own a western arc LNB. Is it possible that a DISH agent gave me some sort of spot? Maybe I just don't remember too well and we just looked at the upper channels.
Anyway, I'm in Mason City, IA and getting all my programing and my wife can record and/or watch her soaps and life is good! Next stop is Knoxville, IL. I'll have to figure out those charts that KAB provided and see if Knoxville is eastern or western. Probably eastern, but that's what I thought when I got here! LOL!

Mason City then Knoxville? Both of those towns have a brewery in them. The Mason City one is pretty new but I've never been there. I've been to the one in Knoxville and it's very popular. If you like craft beer be sure to check them out.

Hmmm... I was in Mason City, spent the night there, in May. I wish I knew there was a craft brewery, I would have liked to try it.

I would recommend going to a retailer for the dongle if you don't have a shipping address consistent enough to receive shipment.

The point of your thread is one reason many rv'ers go with Direct TV which offers DNS (east or west coast) channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts