Newbie Dish 500 & Dish 300 Hookup Question.

Grush

Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
Hello all,

First of all, let me say that I am not just being lazy and trying to get out of searching. I have read more posts then my brain can handle, but I want an exact answer to my question so I figured I would post. So here goes.

I have one Dish 500 with two Dual Legacy LNBs connected with an SW21 switch. Then I am running one cable going from that about a good 90 feet to my single 301 reciever.

Now, for the real question. I want to add another Dish for international channels. I got my hands on a Dish 300 with one Dual Legacy LNB on it. I was wondering if I can just get away with buying a SW21X on ebay and get it over with or do I have to make things much more complicated than that?

I really am not interested in spending a ton of money on DishPro LNBs and would really like to work with what I have now unless someone can give me a good reason to switch them all out (like better quality etc...).

Please help,

Lost in wonderland! :confused:

I didn't realize that you can run an SW21 switch with the Twin LNB. If that's the case, then it sounds like I only need to buy different LNB for the Dish 500.

Grush said:
Hello all,

Now, for the real question. I want to add another Dish for international channels. I got my hands on a Dish 300 with one Dual Legacy LNB on it. I was wondering if I can just get away with buying a SW21X on ebay and get it over with or do I have to make things much more complicated than that?
Just a word of caution: If your channels are only on 121W (e.g. GermanTV) then the Dish 300 does not work. You would need at least a 30" dish with a standard KU FSS LNB (not the Dish DSS LNB)... Check the lyngsat site to see where your channels are (at least thats where I am checking :) )

You have three total duals and not a twin for the dish 500... right? If thats the case the instalation would be a little different than the diagram with the 500 with a twin. I would probaly get a twin and hook it up like the diagram. Without it you would need a sw64 switch.. because if you had two duals on the 500 and connected it with 2 sw21's to the 61.5 sat, one tv would have 61.5 and 119 and the other would have 61.5 and 110. correct me if i'm wrong.

That's exactly what I am going to do. Just a twin on the 500 should take care of it with little cost involved. Just checked ebay and found a few for around the 15 dollar range. Can't beat that price with a stick. Only bad part is that I have to wait for it to arrive and that's hard for me. Can't wait, lol.

Thanks again, Grush.

Just out of curiosity, since he has only one receiver, what would happen if he connected the "to rec" port on the sw21 from the Dish500 to Sat 1 on a new sw21 and connected the line coming from the Dish300 line to Sat 2 on the new sw21 and the out of the new sw21 was the line running to the one receiver. Can you cascade sw21s?

Nice try Big V, but no joy. HOWEVER, you're on the right track. :)

There's a 3rd-party switch called a SW21X (from Microyal?) that is configured to look like half a SW42 (the switch in a Twin).

IIRC, the SW21X has to have 2 LNBs for inputs - so the SW21 Port 1 is hooked to the SW21X output.

you cannot cascade SW21s but can cascade a SW21 with a SW42 or SW44 or SW64 depending on the software in your receiver, not all of them support all cascades. The oem "SW21X" device is actually emulating half of a SW42. So the answer to the original question is probably "yes"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts