Dish Network with Sony HDTV?

diggity

Original poster
Nov 28, 2004
MA
I guess I'm a little confused. Haven't done the HDTV thing yet, but we want to do so soon. We're looking at buying the Sony Grand Wega (KDF-42WE655) with the built-in HDTV tuner. Will this built-in tuner work with Dish Network?

I already have the second dish installed at the house (we needed it to pick up one of the PBS stations - Dish Network installed it for free and told me it is the same dish I'd need when I upgrade to HDTV).

Do I need to purchase anything else? Will this TV work with Dish Network?

Thanks!
-Diggity

Sony HD

Great choice in TV. I have the Sony Grand Wega 60 without the HD Tuner. The answer to your question is NO. The tuner in the TV is for OTA broadcast signals. Thats what no one at the store tells you. You don't need the tuner built in if your hooking to cable or a satalite receiver. They have there own decoders and you have to hook up through them to watch HD that they are broadcasting.

Well - not entirely true. You will almost certainly want an OTA tuner to get your locals.

Having one built into the TV frees you from having to worry about getting a satellite HD box - unless you want what they offer.

Oh bummer. Well thanks for the information. I was hoping to spare the expense of the $400 HDTV tuner from Dish Network. Can that TV still play the stations on my current Dish tuner? I assume the answer is Yes, but I'd better double check before I spend any cash. Can I also ask how you have your wires set up with that Sony TV? Do you route everything through the DVD player or do you use multiple inputs on the back of the TV? If the latter, then how do you record something on the VCR?

Thanks!
-Diggity

Good thing with dish is that you don't have to spend $400 for a HD receiver. It's a $5 monthly rental fee.

BFG said:
Good thing with dish is that you don't have to spend $400 for a HD receiver. It's a $5 monthly rental fee.
Wrong.

This is only an offer they make to new customers. And it's one I wish I would have taken.

Because once you sign up, they make you drop $400 or so for an 811 receiver. Once you're with them for a while (maybe 6 months to a year), they may dangle a sweeter upgrade offer, but I tried to upgrade after 32 days of service and was told I was SOL. In not a nice way, either. (And yes, I do pay my bills on time. :))

SimpleSimon said:
Well - not entirely true. You will almost certainly want an OTA tuner to get your locals.

Having one built into the TV frees you from having to worry about getting a satellite HD box - unless you want what they offer.

?? I always thought the tuners built into tv's were for OTA and didnt work for satellite/cable because of the encryption. So in his case he would still need an 811 or 921 and could use either the box or the built in tuner for OTA, right?

Disregard this post, I misread simplesimons....opps :D

BFG said:
Well sorry. It's $5 monthly for new customers or customers 1 year +
And Bryan, I must apologize for sounding snitty.

I had just gotten off the phone with the E* effers and was more than a bit upset. Especially since I thought I could just call them and get a free HD receiver, as you described.

Sorry again.

That's perfectly fine. I totally agree that any dish network customer should be able to lease the stuff regardless of how long they've been. As you can see from reading the forums dish is known for making some really asine systems.

If you want to give it a shot you could try your luck at emailing ceo@echostar.com and see if you can't get through to leasing an 811, but don't buy the thing. Now a days nothing of dish should be bought. If they won't let you lease an HD receivers say, fine I'll just lease from my cable company or voom.

Bryan, thanks; That's funny, that passage (and that Web page) was the basis of my argument to the CSR and then the floor supe. Was remarkably ineffective, or maybe that was just me? ;)

I did e-mail ceo@dishnetwork.com with the full speil. And frankly, I'm ready to walk, cancellation fee and all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts