Newbie - Dish Pro Plus..is my installer correct?

jstrasser

Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
Had an appt to hook up four TVs today...with a 322 and a 522. My house has two sat lines from the attic to a central distribution box in a closet which delivers to all the coax jacks.

He told me because it would mean mass rewiring, the 322/522 wont be easy to do and suggested I wait a few weeks for the Dish Pro Plus setup, saying they could then easily install this setup in my house.

True, untrue, thoughts, cavets......is Pro Plus avaiable through Dish directly yet?

Thanks for all the help!

Its very true in the respect that both of those units are duel tuner units. The DPP technology will allow them to operate with only a single cable (like you already have) run to each unit. If you use the old "Dish Pro" tech, then the installer would have to run a 2nd cable to each box for its 2nd tuner.

I don't know how he's going to handle the 2nd output though.

And will this allow them to have the second output from the 322 or 522 without requiring more in the wall wires?

so will the one coax to the 522 box be usable (with this new technology) for the dual tuner and for the TV2 out back to the distribution box to hook up to the other TV coax?

jstrasser said:
so will the one coax to the 522 box be usable (with this new technology) for the dual tuner and for the TV2 out back to the distribution box to hook up to the other TV coax?

I dont think so... I dont think you can diplex the line because of the 2 sat signals on that one line... SimpleSimon might know... or even iceberg

OK. Shadow - it's not diplexing, but a DPP Separator CAN allow 2 tuners to share a single cable. It requries a DPP44 switch or the not yet available DPP Twin LNBF - which has a third input, so it can be thought of as a Twin LNBF with a DPP32 built-in.

The details of how all this works are in other threads on this forum.

jstrasser: You'd probably be upcharged for the DPP44 if you can't wait for the DPP Twin - and even then, there might be a smaller charge.

If that's OK, then yes, you can use one cable "inbound" for both satellite tuners, then add diplexers to send the TV2 output back "outbound".

SimpleSimon said:
OK. Shadow - it's not diplexing, but a DPP Separator CAN allow 2 tuners to share a single cable. It requries a DPP44 switch or the not yet available DPP Twin LNBF - which has a third input, so it can be thought of as a Twin LNBF with a DPP32 built-in.

The details of how all this works are in other threads on this forum.

jstrasser: You'd probably be upcharged for the DPP44 if you can't wait for the DPP Twin - and even then, there might be a smaller charge.

If that's OK, then yes, you can use one cable "inbound" for both satellite tuners, then add diplexers to send the TV2 output back "outbound".

Sorry I guess i wasnt very clear... I meant having those 2 sat feeds coming in then diplexing the TV2 out back onto that same feed. Thats what I meant... sorry for the confusion everyone

Thanks everyone...so bottom line is I'll keep the install setup for a few weeks from now and hope the twin is out by then...and I'll see what the installer is able to do.

Appreciate the great (and fast) responses!

Other than the one line vs. two line dual tuner thing, many installers don't understand and hence fear diplexors. Diplexing the second tuner output back to another point simplifies things tremendously, but too many installers simply refuse to use them, so they then assume a third line is required, and then try to get out of doing the job at all.

With a DPP-44 and diplexors, any dual-tuner install should work very nicely on one line back to a central point.

I had the same thing happen to me last week. Installers came to my house, and after about an hour told me that they couldn't install the 4 room system because of my wiring. I'm about to rewire my house to have one wire to each tv come back to a wiring closet for easy access. If I do this, wouldn't I need 4 receivers instead of the two dual tuner receivers? Also, if the new receivers can run two tuners from one input, don't you still need another line to get the second output to the other tv?

I'm trying to learn as much about this as I possibly can so I can wire my house intelligently for any setup I may wish to attempt. If anyone cares to look, I posted a thread last week that had a diagram of my house's wiring. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=26723

If you're wiring a house, put AT LEAST dual RG-6 into each location along with AT LEAST 4 pair of CAT-6.

It depends on several factors, but it IS possible to feed a 2 tuner box with one RG-6 - and even run both it's TV outputs back "up" the same cable. I'm not recommending that for you, but it's certainly possible.

I looked at your diagram, and Mike's suggestions sound best to me. IMO, any further discussion of your house setup should be kept in THAT thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)