newbie DVR/PVR and home theater setup question

sNaKeYeZ

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Chunky, MS
Hi all. I'm considering trying to upgrade my old Dish Network model 3900 reciever and I'm thinking about trying to get a PVR/DVR reciever model.

I have a home theater setup, it's a low end RCA system. I've maxed out my inputs on it - my 3900 satellite receiver took up my last input. I'm wondering how the PVR part of the satellite receiver is set up?

Does the receiver require more than one output, which would require more than one input to my home theater system? When you view programming that you've recorded with the PVR, do you have to change "sources" on your home theater system, or is it just like watching the satellite?

I hope this question makes sense, I don't really know how to word it properly.

Thanks!
Lance

Hi!

I don't know what outputs are available on the 3900, but the 510 provides you with 2 sets of RCA analog audio/video outputs, plus 1 S-video out and 1 optical audio out (and the standard CH3/4 RF)

AFAIK, it's just a matter of unplugging the 3900 and plugging in the PVR. ;)

My old 3900 has one set of RCA analog outputs, plus one coax output. The 510 doesn't have any coax outputs?

Why does it have TWO sets of RCA outputs?

I don't think I worded my original question correctly. It's difficult to explain.

But, I think in knowing that only ONE output is required sort of answers my question. See, I didn't know if having a satellite receiver and a DVR in one unit would function wholly as one unit. I had considered buying a standalone Tivo! or ReplayTV unit, but by buying a Dish Network receiver with DVR BUILT IN, I could use only ONE input on my home theater system, instead of TWO inputs if I had two seperate pieces of equipment.

I hope this makes sense. You don't have to change actual TV channels or anything to watch or record on the DVR right? It's all handled within the satellite receiver's menus, right?

yup.. functions as one unit... the 2 outputs (IMHO) is 1 goes strait to TV and 1 Goes Strait to the VCR for archiving... and yes they all have the COAX outputs.. they just arnt the best quality.

As ShadowEKU said, the DVR does have a coax input/output just like a VCR... Having many outputs gives the receiver great versatility.

Here's our setup:

We have one A/V set connected directly to a tv, for those occasions when we don't want to rattle the house... :D

The other A/V set is connected to a VCR for archiving purposes.

The optical output is connected to an amplifier and the S-video is connected to a projector.

You can view the 510 as a VCR that happens to record to a hard drive. Except it doesn't have that annoying blinking 12:00 ;)

One downside: the 510 comes with a $5/month fee. You could buy a 508 which is the exact same equipment, except that it offers 'only' up to 60 hours of recording time BUT the fee does not apply to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)