Newbie FTA Sports Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Since I have a 2700A, I won't be able to watch analog, but will I at least get a black screen if I land on a channel that is analog? My point is, if I see enough black screens I may invest in a 2nd receiver.

i have a ku-band analog system and if you are into college sports at all it is a neccesity. not only college sports, but also Major League Soccer, and tons of Major League Baseball broadcast on KU Analog. You'll probably be pointing at IA6 and AMC9 the most.

I HIGHLY recommend getting an analog setup.

PS: when you turn off your pansat that unlocks the other polarity. at least that's the way it works for me.

Shawn95GT said:
Fellow satellite addicts:

I found a cheap 4:2:2 receiver on ebay. I'm not sure if it meets our needs exactly but it is about 1/4 the cost we've been talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32847&item=5784783850&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I can't afford to pick it up but maybe someone concidering a $1000+ reciever may be interested.

This is crazy.

But $649 for a receiver to get NFL/NBA/MLB games that are available on ABC? ESPN? TNT?

With that price, I can pay for 14 months of basic cable and get the same games, and more.

4:2:2 will never take off if what it offers are merely backhauls that are transmitted by the networks, games that one can easily receive OTA or on analog cable.

If it can get games on Sunday Ticket, League Pass, Center Ice, then it's a different story.

rangers00 said:
This is crazy.

But $649 for a receiver to get NFL/NBA/MLB games that are available on ABC? ESPN? TNT?

With that price, I can pay for 14 months of basic cable and get the same games, and more.

4:2:2 will never take off if what it offers are merely backhauls that are transmitted by the networks, games that one can easily receive OTA or on analog cable.

If it can get games on Sunday Ticket, League Pass, Center Ice, then it's a different story.
right. the only stuff being encoded with 4:4:2 is already available for free most likely either OTA or on a legit channel. if you absolutely MUST have 4:2:2 feeds i recommend using a pc card like the twinhan because it is much cheaper.

funny that i find myself agreeing with rangers00. on another site we both frequent we seem to butt heads.

You can buy a receiver that can do HDTV and 4.2.2 for about the same price. Take a look at QualiTV http://mechtech.satforums.com/ (you might want to email him to find out more details about it - he is a great dealer and very reliable).

"4:2:2 will never take off if what it offers are merely backhauls that are transmitted by the networks, games that one can easily receive OTA or on analog cable."

It's not meant to "take off". Backhauls and feeds are primarily what it's meant for. The people who are braodcasting these signals aren't broadcasting them for you and I to recieve. They're broadcasting them for networks and cable companies and such to recieve and then rebroadcast. This is one reason the recievers that can decode it are expensive. That's because they are commercial products and not mainstream consumer products. If anything the fact that it's more difficult for us to decode these signals on our FTA systems probably makes it more attractive to the people who are broadcasting this content.

he means 4:2:2 on the consumer market won't take off. not that 4:2:2 itself won't take off. the only reason 4:2:2 is used is for quality reasons. it's not used to deter FTAers because all they would have to do is encrypt it. It's not any cheaper for them to make it 4:2:2 than to encrypt it.

GutBomb said:
i have a ku-band analog system and if you are into college sports at all it is a neccesity. not only college sports, but also Major League Soccer, and tons of Major League Baseball broadcast on KU Analog. You'll probably be pointing at IA6 and AMC9 the most.
I havent seen many MLB games on analog...spring traiing is a different story :)
PS: when you turn off your pansat that unlocks the other polarity. at least that's the way it works for me.
not on mine :( The Toshiba only gets one polarity

Iceberg said:
4:2:2 is a differwent scrambling type technology and only PC cards acan do those.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that 4:2:2 is a method of chroma encoding in MPEG2 streams that results in better color reproduction and is not related in any way what so ever to "scrambling" (i.e. only allowing authorized parties to receive a signal;).

Thanks,
Michael

Iceberg said:

oh yeah. last time i really even looked at analog ku band was during spring training :( I'm stuck in a hotel room in houston for 3 more months. no way to install a dish here on the sly... or is there? (maybe i'll put together a thread :D )

ond what a bummer about your toshiba. are the transponder frequencies locked on that one too? if so PM me and i'll let you know where you can get the same analog reciever at me that basically has an analog blind scan (you can completely run through every frequency looking for a signal and save the channel. it will store 700 channels, and it works with diseqc and 22khz switches, and if the pansat is off, free reign on any polarity. best of all it's CHEAP)

GutBomb said:
ond what a bummer about your toshiba. are the transponder frequencies locked on that one too?

nope. I can change the frequencies on there

But most analog are the same anyways (20K steps..12000, 12020, 12040, etc) except for SBS6

Thats the only flaw. I have it slaved to the Pansat 1500. So I cant see an analog V and a digital H at the same time. no biggie :)

Iceberg said:

Most MLB backhauls are on C-band analog, not KU. That's why this 120 cm C-band experiment is so important. It would allow us to get wildfeeds of the pro leagues with a 120 cm.

Some of the feeds recently (non-HD), spreading across various C-band:

6/27: Angels vs Rangers
6/26: Mariners vs Padres
6/26: Pirates vs Cardinals
6/25: Pirates vs Cardinals
6/23: Devil Rays vs Yankees

Cardinals games on WB11 are on G10 digital :)

Rangers/Rays/Marlins OTA games are on backhaul :)

But analog C-band is different...those almost need a 6 foot dish or larger due to the spacing.

Last analog feeds I remember on Ku in regular season was a WPIX Mets telecast from Boston on AMC 3 and a ESPN telecast from Atlanta on AMC 1 Ku Tr 20. That was in 2002 or before.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)