Newbie HDTV question?

drock85

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I just bought an HDTV. I currently have a 522 receiver. I was wondering if I should wait for MPEG 4 before I upgrade to a HD receiver. Are any of Dish receivers now MPEG4 compatible? Also do you need a special dish for HD or can you use the Dish 500? I know you need a second dish to get the Voom channels. If I got a second dish will they have to run another wire to my house or can they combine it with my current two that are going there?

I think so. Nope. Probably, either a second dish or a Dish1000 (not released yet) to replace your existing dish. Nope, yep.

Depends on how long you want to wait on mpeg4. None of the current receiver lineup is compatable. Dish 500 will get you the basic Hdpack but you will need the 61.5 dish for Voom and possibly a switch depending on what Lnb's you now have on the Dish 500.

I have much the same issue... OK folks, I am new to Satellite - jumped from cable a few days ago. I wanted to upgrade to HDTV but it turns out that, contrary to what the installer told me, I cannot swap my DVR for an HDDVR. I currently have the DISH DVR510. I can either allow them to install an HDTV receiver, no hard drive, or I can PURCHASE an HD DVR. I called to get some info about the HD DVRs, specifically obsolescence and was told that any upgrades would be handled by "downloads" and that these receivers were "made to last many years." (Direct quote!) So I scheduled an install for the HD receiver for Sunday (for what I am guessing will be the 811). I was told I could hook up my Panasonic DVD Recorder but my research on the net tells me otherwise. And so I again contemplate purchase of an HD DVR. Now, I am reading that all of the current receivers have the MPEG2 format. But .... SOON the format will be changing over to MPEG4. So I called DISH again. Sales had no clue what I was talking about, and Tech really did not either. I was told that this was nothing to worry about. Tech advised that they would go ahead and buy now. I read more on the internet. Some are saying: do not buy now, and if you bought recently, dump your HD DVR quick. Others are saying that neither Dish nor DirectTV are not going to hand business to the cable industry so there will be some sort of upgrade program - either a swap out or direct hardware upgrade. What do you advise??? I truly cannot afford to purchase the 942 only to find it does not receive channels in the very near future. And I understand that DirectTV is going to phase in MPEG4 as early as this FALL, latest 2006. Dish has to follow if they plan on adding channels. What have other people done? What would others advise??? Will I need to buy a whole new receiver very soon?

MPEG4 transition will begin in the Fall for Dish. Current receivers cannot be upgraded. When the switchover starts, you will not lose any current channels, you just will not be able to watch new HD MPEG4 channels.

Personally, I would lease the 811 (non-DVR) and buy a MPEG4 DVR when they become available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)