Newbie help: D10 to H20 possible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ssarull

Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Hello,

I'm a new D* customer (joined directly thru D*). I only joined for the NFL Sunday Ticket, and decided against the Super Fan due to all the "baggage" (extra fees, longer committments, leases, etc.). As a result, I was given the D10 receiver and non-HDTV round dish. My signal quality averages 93%.

After the installation last week, I was shocked to see my D10 box only has analog A/V outputs! (S-video/composite audio... Are we still in the 1990s??) While I knew not to expect HDTV-quality, the analog A/V was too crappy to enjoy on my pride-n-joy home theater. So I moved the D10 box over to a smaller, lesser TV. Boo! :(

So here are my questions:

1) Is it possible to use an H20 box (w/digital outputs) on my current dish? And if so, will it improve the quality of the non-HDTV channels?

2) If H20 will help me, can I simply buy one from eBay and just insert my access card? Or is it not that simple?

Thanks in advance!

Sam from Chicago

You can use the H20, but don't expect any improvement on the SD channels.

For any HD programming via satellite you will need the 5LNB dish to fully take advantage of the HD that DirecTV offers. This will also get you Local HD channels(big 4 ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC) depending on location. You can hook up an antenna to get local HD channels OTA.

ssarull said:
Hello,

I'm a new D* customer (joined directly thru D*). I only joined for the NFL Sunday Ticket, and decided against the Super Fan due to all the "baggage" (extra fees, longer committments, leases, etc.). As a result, I was given the D10 receiver and non-HDTV round dish. My signal quality averages 93%.

After the installation last week, I was shocked to see my D10 box only has analog A/V outputs! (S-video/composite audio... Are we still in the 1990s??) While I knew not to expect HDTV-quality, the analog A/V was too crappy to enjoy on my pride-n-joy home theater. So I moved the D10 box over to a smaller, lesser TV. Boo! :(

So here are my questions:

1) Is it possible to use an H20 box (w/digital outputs) on my current dish? And if so, will it improve the quality of the non-HDTV channels?

2) If H20 will help me, can I simply buy one from eBay and just insert my access card? Or is it not that simple?

Thanks in advance!

Sam from Chicago
1 both yes and no you can process the signal from your 18" dish through the H20. The H20 will give you HDMI output to your TV depending on your TV it might be an improvement.
2 Talk to Directv, if you add an H20 from Ebay you will still be leasing and still subject to the 2 year contract. Also if you are going to use HDTV get setup for it.

boba said:
... if you add an H20 from Ebay you will still be leasing and still subject to the 2 year contract.

Hypothetically, would this box-switching be detected by DirecTV? Or is it the "honor system" that I call them up and tell them?

Last edited:
If I understand this correctly... even if I buy my own H20 replacement box, I still have to pay a monthly lease from DirecTV?

Last edited:
ssarull said:
If I understand this correctly... even if I buy my own H20 replacement box, I still have to pay a monthly lease from DirecTV?
You pay the same wether you own or lease. If you own you pay a $4.99 mirroring fee for each additional receiver, if leasing you pay a $4.99 lease fee same amount different name.:)

This is true buy your box and pay a programing fee. Lease a box and pay the same amount as a leasing fee. However, the CSR yesterday confirmed to me that there would not be a 2 year commitment if I purchased my own box.

boba said:
You pay the same wether you own or lease. If you own you pay a $4.99 mirroring fee for each additional receiver, if leasing you pay a $4.99 lease fee same amount different name.:)

Sorry for the confusion.

I guess my intention was to replace my D10 with the H20. I'll still just have one and only one active box in my house. And since I currently pay nothing for my D10 (first receiver free thing), I was hoping it could be the same way when I swap in an H20 from eBay.

Different dishes, Different receivers, Different Fees, Different Commitments.... I've never thought I'd say this, but CABLE is sounding really good. If only I could get the NFL ticket from Comcast.

You can upgrade from your D10 to an H20 as your primary and only pay the up front $99.95 plus shipping and handling. (Unless there's some kind of special offer out there.) Even though it's technically a "leased" H20 there's no lease charge for a primary. I have an H20 (owned not leased but that's a separate story) as my primary and an H10 as my secondary that I pay the $4.99 mirroring charge on. Once I decide to upgrade the H10 it will become a lease as you pay one or the other (mirroring or lease) on a secondary receiver but not both. Doesn't make much sense to buy it off of eBay like I did my H20 other than to say I "own" it.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)