newbie home theater question.

rhdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I Am looking at getting a Sony HT system fo my HDTV thru a vip722, Xbox, DVD, playstation2 and Wii. Right now the 722 uses hdmi,the dvd player uses component,xbox uses component, and the playstation/Wii uses the AV (they hook up to a switch) all to my TV. My 722, dvd, TV and xbox have optical outs. Do all these have to hook up to the HT system directly or can I just use the light coming from my TV and get 5.1 from everything hooked thru the TV. At first I thought I could, but after some research I think I was sadly mistaken. I was just looking for a simply setup without having to buy a bunch of new cables. My TV is a Samsung DLP with only 1 hdmi, 2 comp, 3av, 1dvi, and the standard coax stuff. Just point me in the right direction. There may be no way without going high dollar. Thanks.:confused:

I would think you would want to run everything audio straight to your new HT receiver and forgo connecting them to the TV. Any decent receiver will have more inputs than your tv anyway. The video should still go straight to the TV but the audio should to to the receiver. The only extra cable you might need would be an optical audio to go from the 722 to the receiver.

Also, when you say component you are talking about video. Your choice of receiver may depend on what you are using for audio on the xbox and dvd player.

I was thinking about 300 dollars for starters. I would like to go optical on the TV and dvd at least, I am not a huge gamer so the xbox can still be on copper. I have seen decent HT systems (without dvd player )for about 300 that where I am getting my starting point. I am looking more for easy setup and willing to pay for that, if needed.

Speakers and receiver. I do not want to a dvd type, due to an upgrade to blu ray could be forth coming and will be stuck with a dvd player that will not be used.

Most $300 HT systems are going to be sorely lacking in connection options. From what you're saying, you need at least three optical inputs and an assortment of other inputs so that you don't have to dink with an AV switch.

Since your TV is short on HDMI inputs you're going to have to invest in something that can switch HDMI inputs for when you get your Blu-ray player or similar. Might as well invest that money in a more flexible receiver so again, you don't have to use an external switch to make it all work.

If you've got your heart set on Sony, you've got only one choice: HT-DDW990

It features two HDMI pass-through inputs as well as two optical and one coaxial digital inputs.

Once you move to a Blu-ray player may allow you to play your discs over the HDMI connection, you should have a couple of optical ports free for gaming devices.

I would suggest you assemble a list of specifications that don't include a manufacturer and think about how you can make the whole system a lot less fuss. Having to use a half-dozen remotes and manual switches to make everything work may seem like an accomplishment, but you'll not get much support from those who have to figure out how to use it.

One final comment: for someone who isn't into gaming, you sure have a large number of gaming consoles hooked up to your TV.

Thanks this will helped me with the setup options as well as a budget for a system. as far as the gaming systems, I do have a few but I have mostly due to my boy. neither of us are fanitical about them but enjoy them none the less. My heart is set on a Sony that will open up more options.The main question I had was with inputs, which you all answered for me. Now begins the hunt for the right one. I will post some chooses to bounce off you guys, again thanks.

As has already been stated, you're not going to get anything stellar in that price range. You could save yourself some money with Onkyo refurbs in that price range: Shop Onkyo

It would be nice to have enough audio inputs for all of your equipment, and maybe even video switching, but you're not going to be able to get into those types of features with your budget.

Obviously HT is very subjective. Sony has some decent quality at higher levels in receivers, but IMHO at your price range they do not offer the best bang for your buck in receiver/speaker combinations. That's the basic story I got from lots of research with two different receivers. I'm sure some with agree with that statement, while others may disagree. I admit that I have no personal experience with those Sony products - just reporting what I've read.

Good luck!

After reading some of this , maybe I will increase my budget limit. Sounds like if a save a little longer I can get what I want. Will 500.00 any closer?? That will not take much longer than the 300 dollars I already have in the budget. More money just means more time till a can get it, I have waited this long..a little more will not hurt.

I have never been totally happy with an all in one HT system. They usually skimp in several areas, and inputs is one of them. I have also started looking for a setup for my bedroom set, and am learning about the current state.

First, the sonys that they sell as HT systems at Sams and the like have absolutely NO inputs. They are designed to connect to the TV output and provide a better sound. However they count on all switching being done by the TV.

Most of the HTIB systems only have 2 or 3 HDMI inputs. Worse, they are simply pass-through switching and don't handle the audio over HDMI. You still need to connect an optical or coax digital audio cable. They all come with 2 optical/1 coax inputs, but I believe that the coax is often shared with one of the opticals.

Many of the less expensive units will not do HDMI upconvert from composite or component inputs. This means that you end up running several cables from the receiver to the TV and still do switching at the TV.

Inputs, inputs, inputs. Even if you have enough for today, you won't be happy in 6 months when you decide to connect that new whizzy box. I always run out eventually.

You might want to consider buying an HDMI/Optical switcher from someplace like monoprice. If you can solve the switching, you might have a lower overall cost, and might be able to even live with the sony tv only box. That might be the best way to get it into your budget.

After reading some of this , maybe I will increase my budget limit. Sounds like if a save a little longer I can get what I want. Will 500.00 any closer?? That will not take much longer than the 300 dollars I already have in the budget. More money just means more time till a can get it, I have waited this long..a little more will not hurt.

$500 will get you close!!!! Check out the ONKYO 605 which has the HDMI output. you can get the receiver for under $400 and check out the Yambeka speakers. Brian still sells the old set for under $200 and they decent for what you need and there is a decent amount of bass where you won't need a sub (unless you really want one)

You can get cheap HDMI cables on Ebay or monprice that will work just fine.

Last edited:
1. That budget doesn't get you much.

2. Sony isn't that good.

3. You can use coax instead of optical if you have digital audio coax outs.

$500 will get you in the game. Most home theater in a box systems aren't that good, and usually lack even basic input options, but there are exceptions. As mentioned earlier, Shop Onkyo has some great options, such as this system:
The Onkyo HT-SR800 - 7.1-Channel Receiver/ Speaker Package
It has two optical and two coaxial digital audio inputs, as well as a host of other input options. The speakers are OK, but definitely the best for this price range. Still, a 7.1 system for $320 shipped is hard to ignore.

For cables, all you need to do is go to Monoprice.com. Great cables, great service, rock-bottom prices.

You could get the HT-SR800 home theater system, all the cables you need and a Harmony 670 remote to control everything for less than $500, including shipping and sales tax. You'll get good sound, lots of expansion options and easy control without blowing your budget. Remember, there's lots of people on these forums who will give you the "for only $XXX.XX more..." advice because it is easy to spend other people's money.

I know it's a little off topic, but does the vip722 not output 5.1 over HDMI? I get sound out through my hdmi, but is the optical required to be connected to get the 5.1 audio?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)