Newbie looking for help connecting to HD channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fleetmack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Westminster, CO (North Denver)
Newbie looking for help connecting to D* HD channels

Hi all, I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I don't know any of the satellite terms you all use. I was searching for the answer to my question, and for all I know, I read it, but I don't understand a lot of what you all say.... so here's a question from a hdtv-idiot.

I have a samsung directv hd receiver and a toshiba directv with a triple LNB satellite dish. I successfully pull in all my locals in HD with an antenna I have mounted on my balcony, and HBO and Showtime come in clear in HD.... I am also subscribed to the HD package (I live in Denver). Unfortunately, none of the other channels (ESPN, Discovery, etc.) come in. DirecTV told me that these channels are on a different satellite and that I can't pull in both satellites with my dish due to an eave on my balcony (i live in an apartment). Is there any truth to this? Also I have heard from a friend that it's possible to hook up 2 dishes.... 1 connects to the other satellite to pull in these HD channels -- what is he talking about? If this is true, how do I do this? (i already own 3 directv dishes...and another of my spares is also a triple lnb) I would love to get all the channels in HD instead of just hte locals, and if I can't truly pull in the others in HD i would like to cancel them through directv.

I hope this was clear, thanks in advance for your help.

There are a lot of experts subscribing to this forum. Not sure why one hasn't responded. Unforunately I'm not one of these, but it is my un-expert understanding that a triple LNB dish should pull in all the satellites you need for all of Directv's offerings. If you are getting HBO HD but not Discovery HD and there is an obstrution very near to the line of sight of the dish then that probably is the reason. My installaion guide for a triple LNB dish says the "line of sight" needs to be 18 degrees wide, i.e., +/- 9 degrees from side to side about the center line. But even if the double dish thing is possible how will it help if you don't have this line of sight to all the satallites?

What's your signal strength on the 110 and 119? Anything below 70 is susceptible to problems. When you said that D* told you about the balcony, did you mean the installer? or a CSR? As a last resort, you can hook 2 other dishes up, one at 110 and the other at 119. Both would have to be dual LNB's and all lines from the 3 dishes would need to connect to a multiswitch.

The simple solution is to find a better place to mount the dish. Bottom line is that you have to have line of site to the satellites to be able to get what is being transmitted. Is there any possibility to find a mounting location with better line of sight? If possible, that should be step #1.

I have to wonder how long ago did you get your install??

I mean the installer should not have left without making sure you could get all the channels you subscribed to.

IF the eve is a problem then a differnt mounting location should fix the problem.

I'm sorry but it sounds like the case of ANOTHER lazy installer.

well, it's an apartment and they only let us "tripod" (aka bucket of cement with a pole in it) them on our balconies. there is a clear line to the south...no buildings or trees, only open space. and i'm on top of a hill as well. i don't understand why the dish can pull in one but not the other, and they say an eave is preventing me from full signal of the other dish. is it possible for me to mount my other dish lower to get a better angle, or am i s.o.l. if so - how do i do this?

I have this problem too - i live in a heavily wooded area, and although I get 101 clear 110 comes in and out and 119 I don't get at all (except in winter when the leaves are gone.) Part of it also has to do with the low angle in the sky for 119 - supposedly many D* customers have problems with LOS with it and not the 101 b/c the 101 is a good 12 degrees higher off the horizon.

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/12429_00_AntennaManual_1D.pdf

There realy is no way for any of us to determine weather you have LOS to all 3 satellite locations without being on site. I have a fairly obstructed view from about 3 feet below the parking lot level of my appartment complex and barely clear a tree to hit the 119 and 101 but it was possible. Give that manual a look and grab a beer, a compass, and a buddy to keep you company (and to watch your signal strengths), and give it a whirl.. the worst thing that could happen is you fall off the balcony because you're too drunk. Have fun :p

P.S. I recomend everyone try to align their own dish. It's a good learning experience... and you won't call in telling tech support "IT'S ROCK SOLID NO WAY IT MOVED IN THE 100MPH WINDS!"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)