newbie needing help w/ knowing if this is a good deal

irfan

Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
im planning on changing from comcast to dishnetwork

here is the plan im getting... tell me if this is good or not?

AT 120 for 42.99
International channels, 2 for $24.99
HDTV 9.99 (free for first 6 months) Does this plan include local channels like NBC,ABC,FOX,WB,WGN(local)?

Total Price first 6 months: $68
After 6 months: $78

I also get a free DVR (there isnt a monthly charge for the service right?) and Home theater system(probably crap). also get first month free except for int channels

The thing I hate is its a 18 month contract which means if i hate the service I have no choice but to keep it

the dvr you are getting most likely is the 625. There is a 4.98 per month fee, and if it is the dual tuner, and its not connected to a phone line, you will be charged a $4.99 access fee. Also, theres an additional $5 per receiver, since I imagine you are gonna have 2 receivers since you mentioned HD.. Locals in HD arent included in the HD pack. Only 5 chans are there. (tnt, discovery, hdnet/movies, espn). Although, for the first 3 months you can get HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax free. So you will get HBOHD and SHOHD free for 3 months.. as for the 18 month contract, It has a $240 cancellation fee which is prorated.

irfan said:
im planning on changing from comcast to dishnetwork

here is the plan im getting... tell me if this is good or not?

AT 120 for 42.99
International channels, 2 for $24.99
HDTV 9.99 (free for first 6 months) Does this plan include local channels like NBC,ABC,FOX,WB,WGN(local)?

Total Price first 6 months: $68
After 6 months: $78

I also get a free DVR (there isnt a monthly charge for the service right?) and Home theater system(probably crap). also get first month free except for int channels

The thing I hate is its a 18 month contract which means if i hate the service I have no choice but to keep it

Here are your expected charges:

AT120: 42.99/month
Internationals: 24.99/month
HD Receiver: 0.00/month (one receiver included in package price)
HD DVR: 4.98/month (if you you choose to get an HD DVR)
Standard DVR: $5.00/month Additional Receiver Fee
Standard DVR: $4.98/month DVR Fee
HD Pak: 9.99/month (after free period)

You are charged $5.00 for every receiver beyond the first. As stated, if you have a dual-tuner receiver, you will be charged an additional $4.99/month fee for each dual-tuner receiver that is NOT plugged into your home phone line. The usual HD DVR (942) is a dual-tuner as is the 625.

There are currently no HD local channels available to DISH subscribers (except via OTA where available) and only a few West coast HD locals actually uplinked.

if you have an antenna you can recive your locals in hd via the ota ant... for antenna recomendations go to www.antennaweb.org that will give you an idea what type of ant you will need and what ota hd you can pick up. You might be surprised as you might pick up more hd channels than what your cable company offered you.

when i called the dishnetwork number they told me nothing about any additional monthly free for the standard DVR. They also said i would get 4 recievers free for each of my 4 tvs. One of my tvs is an HDTV-ready which would need a set-top box.

do they include this antenna w/ your free installation for your local channels?

irfan said:
when i called the dishnetwork number they told me nothing about any additional monthly free for the standard DVR. They also said i would get 4 recievers free for each of my 4 tvs. One of my tvs is an HDTV-ready which would need a set-top box.

Standard DVR fee is always stated, there is no such thing as a standard DVR being offered anymore, any new promotion is a dual tuner DVR which you need a phone line hooked up to. It is free INSTALLATION of up to 4 TV's not that there are no charges for addtl receivers. 942 or 811 for your HDTV

do they include this antenna w/ your free installation for your local channels?

No they do not

yes they receivers don't cost anything to get them. It did not say that they would not cost you $5.00 a month to get the service for each box.

From the price quote you gave us it only sounds like you are getting one receiver. If thats the case something is not right. How many TV's do you have? How many do you plan on running HD.

Dave nye said:
yes they receivers don't cost anything to get them. It did not say that they would not cost you $5.00 a month to get the service for each box.

From the price quote you gave us it only sounds like you are getting one receiver. If thats the case something is not right. How many TV's do you have? How many do you plan on running HD.

i only plan on getting HDTV for one tv. The other 3 tvs arent HDtvs

go with a 942 HD DVR, this is a dual tuner reciever where the first side is HD, and the second side is standard definition to a second TV, and a 322 same concept as above except standard receiver. Basic package + Hd package + DVR fee + addtl receiver fee= total
that is if you have a phone line connected to them

You forgot to tell him the 942 is a $250 non-refundable upgrade...but well worth it.

might be worth it if you plan on keeping the service. But if he cancels a year later, thats still 250 bucks gone since it is a leased receiver and needs to be returned

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts