NEWBIE needing tailgate setup help

tamumlg

Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Rio Grande Valley, TX
First off, I am not too dish-tech savvy and I would appreciate your help. And yes, I have used the search function but still need a better understanding.

I'm in TX and planning on tailgating for the first time Nov 20 weekend. Currently, I have DISHNetwork at home, suscribe to all channels and HD programming. I have 2-VIP622, a VIP211, and a 311. And I have 2 dishes pointing in different directions outside my home; both seem to be pointing in the SW quadrant. (Don't know their #'s)

Looking to buy a tripod with DISH and take a receiver from home. Questions:
1. Keeping in mind, I only care about locals, ESPN HD, and FOXSports SW, do I need a 500, 500+, 1000.2 ?
2. Plans are to have only 1 TV setup. Do I need a switch and/or power inserter?
3. Which receiver would be best to take?

Answers and suggestions are deeply appreciated as I'm trying to impress my family with my techie know-how. Again, thank you!

Take the 311, and use a dish 500, easiest option, no need for had and im sure that is cheaper than the 1000.2. Im not sure or the azimuth (magnestic direction your dish has to point to recieve signal), or elevation (hieght), or skew ("twist") that it has to be since i live in cali.

Use the dish point screen, menu 6 1 1. Enter your zip code and it should tell you. Good luck. Just make sure the pole on your tripod is level.

No switches needed if it is a dishpro twin or quad lnb on the dish 500. The 311 with a Dish 500 is the easiest solution, unless you want HD.

If you want to HD then I would use the 211 with a Dish 1000.2.

Also another tip instead of a tripod a cinderblock works well to takes up less space and easier to transport. I am assuming you will be in a parkinglot so the height should not be a issue. Take a look at our setup.

Attachments

• profilepic74596_1.JPG
    profilepic74596_1.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 215
Take the 311, and use a dish 500, easiest option, no need for had and im sure that is cheaper than the 1000.2. Im not sure or the azimuth (magnestic direction your dish has to point to recieve signal), or elevation (hieght), or skew ("twist") that it has to be since i live in cali.

Use the dish point screen, menu 6 1 1. Enter your zip code and it should tell you. Good luck. Just make sure the pole on your tripod is level.

Above info. good ! But even easier there are lots of dish 300's or direct 18" dishes around, both work, Do get a dish pro single LNB for it. smaller and easier to tote around, getting the tripod Plum does help. It will work H.D. just hit the right sat. for your area.
icon7.gif

Hi, maybe try listing the channels you want to receive then hit the info button on the remote twice. That should display the satellite that is being used. Depending on what you find from the info button you may get by with a Dish 500 for HD if the satellites are 110/119 or 119/129. If you find 110/119/129 you will need a Dish 1000.2 BTW - the Dish 500 can also be made to work on 61.5/72.7 if you find the channels you want there. Hope this helps, DC

Similar NEWBIE question 722K & 1000.2

I have a similar question. I have a 722K from my house & purchased a 1000.2 to install at our cabin so I could bring the receiver back & forth.

I think I'm very close on the AZ & have the right skew/elevation (28783) based on the dishpointer website.

I have an RG6 (100ft) running direction from the LNB ports (I've tried port #1 & #2) to the input of the 722. I have 0 signal & have tweaked the azimuth in both directions with no luck. I also ran it to the signal separator that went into both tuner inputs.

I've tried looking for 119 & used transponders 11 & higher.

Do I need some sort of switch after the LNB? Or could it be I just bought a bad RG6 from Lowes?

You do not need a switch with the 1000.2. You can connect your receiver directly to the 119 port of the satellite dish. While it may be a bad RG6 cable, the dish is very sensitive. It is also difficult to lock on a signal using the receiver. This may not be convenient for you, but I would suggest purchasing a cheap satellite meter from Ebay ($10 to $20). Also, buy a 6 foot run of RG6. Then, connect your short run to the 119 port of LNB, connect other end to the LNB port of the meter, and then the long RG6 run from your receiver to the other port. You can then adjust the dish and find your signal. When I do this for tailgating, I search the sky from left to right. If you are "on", as you turn from left to right, you'll find the 129, 119, and 110 very close to each other. The elevation on 119 is a bit higher than 129, so you can get 129 and not get 119 immediately afterward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)