Newbie - Please help with Dish Network decision!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

abucla

Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
My parents are currently a Dish Network users. Their requirements have changed over the years; they had purchased their equipment from Costco a few years ago and they aren't under contract anymore. They own their equipment (dish and receivers).

They have moved onto the HD age and now require DVR. They need two rooms with DVRs. One room with HD and one with just a basic receiver. Also they need the South Asian channels. With that, I have the following questions.

1) Can they cancel their service and I open a new contract at the same residence under my name? If so, can I still use the existing receivers for extra rooms? I would assume that I'd still be charged for the service of each receiver.

2) Who has the best deal online for dish network packages? How about local vendors in the Bay Area, Northern California?

3) What could I do with the exisiting dishes if I was to go with a new contract? Would those just go to waste since new dishes would be provided?

4) Which DVR/HD receivers would you recommend? Keep in mind, I don't need the top of the line.

5) Would I get a better package if I open a new account or by inquiring about an upgrade? Often times I have heard that upgrade packages are terrible compared to new account packages.

Thanks alot in advance.

Look in the phone book and try a local dealer/retailer. Better service after the sale if ever needed. If you don't have an account go ahead and put it in their name. Look into the 942 if you want HD/DVR although there is a $250.00 upgrade fee.

I don't think you can add activated receivers to a new account, I tried that and they didn't let me. The 942 is the way to go but you'll have to pay the $250.00. All equipment will be leased.

Here are some retailers in the Bay Area, try giving them a call and see what they offer:

SATELLITE ICC
124 NORTH B STREET SAN MATEO
REDWOOD CITY, CA
(650) 368-1884

ICS-INTERNATIONAL COMM SERVICE
5438 GEARY BLVD
SAN FRANCISCO, CA
(415) 750-1330

GOLDEN GATE SATELLITE TV
3812 INTERNATIONAL BLVD
OAKLAND, CA
(510) 535-6565

123 SATELLITE TV
2595 MIDDLEFIELD RD
REDWOOD CITY, CA
(800) 914-5559

Well you could open the new account under your name. Get the 942 as a new customer for 250. Then just add your old receivers onto the system after the new stuff is hooked up.

Then just add your old receivers onto the system after the new stuff is hooked up.
Of course, you have to remove them from the old account first - even if you close the old account.

And you probably do NOT want to do this all on the same day. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)