Newbie putting together satellite system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dashaund

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 13, 2006
Travelers Rest, SC
Hey guys! Thanks for all of the great info that has been posted on here. I've certainly learned A LOT over the past couple of weeks. Had it not been for this forum, I probably wouldn't be getting ready to put up my first FTA setup. Okay, so I'm going to order the M-1 motorized system from Sadoun. I figured that's my best bet since the equipment in the package has been recommended here over and over, except I'm getting a QPH-031. But, I do have one question that I haven't been able to get a straight answer on: I plan on running three receivers off of this dish eventually (the Fortec Classic, a Twinhan 102g PCI DVB card (with will most likely be controlling the motor since I'm an HD nut), and an analog receiver in the future for wild feeds) and am confused on what multiswitch I need to buy. I've setup multiswitches before with DirecTV, but the Diseqc switch has thrown me. Do I need it at all with a multiswitch? Are there 4x4 switches with it built in? Would I run LNB -> diseqc -> 2x4 multiswitch -> motor -> receiver (skip the motor for the slave receivers)? Not sure if the latter is optimum since I'll lose a few dB with each connection, but at this point that seems like the smartest way since I don't want to fry my LNB. Thanks in advance, you guys are awesome!

if you use the 4x4 multiswitch, you wouldnt need the diseqc

all 4 lines from thre LNB would go into the Multiswitch and hook the receivers up

The only thing is most analog receivers don't control polarity with a LNBF (as this is). You might want to slave it off the Fortec.

What I wouold do is this

LNB linear & LNB circular into a Diseqc switch......Fortec......loop out to Analog
Other Linear port go directly to the card. You can add a 2nd Diseqc and get both Linear & Circular on the card too

This is how mine is setup...both outputs from the LNB into a Diseqc down to my Coolsat with the loop out to the analog. The 2nd Linear output goes directly to another receiver

Last edited:
Wow, thanks Iceberg. Nice prompt response as well. Wow, this is better than most paid support I've experienced with other equipment in the past! Didn't think about the Loop Out. I assume since I'll be controlling the motor with the card that I'll just turn off the Diseqc on the Fortec then. Thanks a million! That should save me some headaches and a little $$$!

dashaund said:
I assume since I'll be controlling the motor with the card that I'll just turn off the Diseqc on the Fortec then. Thanks a million! That should save me some headaches and a little $$$!

I don't have a PC card but I have heard there are issues with them controlling a motor depending on what program is in it.

I would use the receiver to control the motor

Don't worry about turning the Diseqc off. If you move the dish to (as an example) G10, both units can see the satellite.

On a good day I can have the Coolsat on one channel ona satellite, the Fortec on a different channel (same satellite) and the analog on yet another channel. The only drawback to looping out is the receiver only gets the same polarity as the main receiver (Horizontal or Vertical).

If you hook the analog directly to a LNBF, it defaults to H polarity only

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)