Satellite publications

Not just magazines. Books. The Declaration of Independence. Your Birth Certificate, proof of marriage. My life would be Inconvenienced, Royally inconvienanced, but not destroyed. But then I know how to take care of myself. I really do not need the digital life.

Say what you will, I never said one bad thing about the publication in question, only complimentary things.

The true test of a rhetorical victory is not who wins the debate, who shouts the loudest, or even how many likes you get. Nay, Victory goes to the one left laughing after all is said and done. When (not if) the digital/information/electronic infrastructure blows away when the sun sneezes, I will still be around. I suspect but not wish, that the arrogant pink haired  boy that called me an old has-been, I fear that he would not make it a month after such an event. Even if nothing else, I will be content and still feel like a human being. I fear those glued to their devices will not, and this is not my wish. It is my fear

When (not if) the digital/information/electronic infrastructure blows away when the sun sneezes

Then we’ll have much more to worry about, like what to eat, than what to read and how.

You might enjoy the book “Alas Babylon.” About surviving a nuclear war. Not extreme like modern stuff. But very nice.

Says the guy who posted that from a rotary phone.

Phone Call Whatever GIF by Paramount+

If some cataclysmic event drags us back into the analog world, then we will have a lot bigger problems to worry about than securing copies of decades old magazines to read.

In the absence of said event, it is a digital world now. There is no going back to the old one.
As long as I have power I have an excellent vaccuum tube (EMP proof) pre amp, power amp, turntable, record and 1970's Playboy collection. That will get me by until whatever comes next.

When (not if), I wake up and nothing works, there is no satellite TV, no cable, no internet, no lights, no cell service, no land line. I will fire up an old breaker points generator, not even bother with the 1880s Icom gear and go right to my old Hammerland SW receiver. If there is nothing on the air except lightning crashes, I will know that either Kimmy the Wizz kid popped a crude nuke in the ionosphere over Kansas, or the sun let loose the "kill shot".

What would we do here? First, we would either eat or can what we have in our freezers (we have a bottle gas stove. No electricity needed.) Next, I would make sure that the leathers in the old hand pump were good; if not I would replace them. Next, I would make sure that my liberty teeth were loaded, feed the chickens, pet my dog, hold my kitty, make a glass of tea, and sit on my porch swing and read a book. When it got dark. I would take one of several Dietz lanterns, put some old fry oil in it, and get ready for bed.

Unfortunately and tragically, many would die. The cities would burn and the denizens there in would start acting like wild animals. The store shelves would be stripped in hours. Folks will get terrible illnesses because they do not know how to make water safe to drink. Life will go to hell. Except for those who still know how to live without microwave dinners, I phone's and the digital universe. As long as you are far enough out that the 'city-zens' can't eat you, and you possess those survival skills, you will have a fairly decent chance of making it.

As I stated before, it would be a royal PIA. But I would have a very good chance of making it. And, here is the neat thing...

I will still be able to read, and while not the most important thing in a survival situation, I have enough literature printed on paper that I will not be for want of intellectual stimulation.

Joe

There were a ton of publications in the 80s relative to C-band, from viewing guides to VideoCipher hack newsletters. As for today, if you don't trust the cloud there are robust hardware storage options.

The cities would burn and the denizens there in would start acting like wild animals. The store shelves would be stripped in hours. Folks will get terrible illnesses because they do not know how to make water safe to drink. Life will go to hell.

Sounds like a zombie apocalypse. Not a world I'd wanna live in. Bullet to the head, please.

Reactions: primestar31
Well,let's see,I'm not too far from the big hydro dam at Massena ,the nuke plants at Oswego,the Thousand Islands brige/border crossing and most important Fort Drum,I'm toast.Might as well just go outside and watch :flame

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA
I am NOT trying to start a flame war here. My comments are not meant to be taken as aggressive, mean spirited or nasty. They are just my observation.

OK, so it is expensive. I get that. But other publications manage to publish print editions. I see no reason for Spectrum Monitor not too. I subscribe to other magazine publications, some of them are not that large a circulation. How many folk do you think subscribe to a rather obscure magazine dedicated to hunting dogs? Not hunting, just the dogs. Or how about Guns and gardens? I bet that not many people have heard of that one, either. I subscribe to both.

What do yo do if the hard drive in your device fails? yeah, go get another, unless the Chinese decide not to sell us anymore just like OPEC allegedly did in the 70s with oil. Then lets say you do get another hard drive. Now you got to reload it. What a PIA. "But no one puts their e-reads on a computer any more. Everyone keeps their e-whatever on their kindle. (Or smart phone). What happens when the batteries die? Or when the smart phone gets dropped? "Why, you down load it again, you Luddite!" That is what I have actually been told by a pink haired dude with a thing in his nose. So you go to download your content again. I live in a place with terrible internet connectivity. Oh, but you need satellite internet. OK, so now I have to pay a very high fee for satellite internet (at least geo sat internet) just in order to get an e-zine? Then, lets say the sun blasts the earth just like it did in the Carrington event. Don't laugh. The sun is acting very strange lately, and the planetary alignment is coming to be just as it was when that thing happened. Telegraph operators were injured and worse when the system was made useless by tremendous voltage surges due to the sun. Then of course, what happens when some self appointed government type thinks that you do not need to read about whatever is in the e-publication. Why, it all magically disappears. Happens all the time in nations where there is no strong tradition of our first amendment. The point is, Digital content is ephemeral. Once the power goes out, the magnetic imprints on a substate go away, the internet collapses, the polycarbonite CD/DVD gets too scratchy or deteriorates, you no longer have the content or access to it.

No matter what happens, save a tornado blowing my house away (God Forbid) or my house burns down, (again, God forbid), I can always go to my library, pull down a prined copy of Satellite Times (God I miss Bob Grove), that is bound in a hard cover volume and read.

Yes, publishing is expensive. Profit margins are a lot less with print publications (which I think is the real driving force with e-pubs). But as I said, other magazines are still in print, and they have not declared chapter 13. Finally, for those of us that the pink haired, thing in the nose set so looks down upon for not being as technically savvy as they are (in their opinion) because we like to sit down and read something that does not need electricity, why not at the very least set your publication up with a print to order service. Yeah, I would pay for it. Spectrum Monitor is worth it. But I do not "read" from screens. I did that my entire working life, wont do it now that I am retired, and besides it hurts my eyes after an hour or so.

Just my two cents worth. But the exclusively e-publishers have excluded themselves from a rather significant source of potential customers in the name of increased profit margins and decreased expense. That is really a shame, actually.

Joe KB0TXC
Well, if you can get the PDF version, download it and print it yourself (on archival-grade paper, no less).

As I have said multiple time... it is not only the paper, but also the ink and binding, as well as quality of print. And I have never seen a ream of clay coat gloss paper. I doubt that a laser printer could print on it.

More of an ink jet printing process.

Paper might be sourced from the manager of a decent sized print shop, who does this regularly (enough).

In fact, I’m $ure you can per$ude him or her to print it for you.

Way overboard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts