Help with Diseqc Settings in Mio+4k

Lee60

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
California
I'm hoping I can get this new setup working. I moved my 1.2m dish to the other side of my yard. Added a 4 port LNBF. Added Diseqc 1.0 4 port switches. All is working great with my 2 Mio+ receivers and an Amiko SE.
I use a 3rd Mio+ to control my C band dish(ASC 1 also). Here's my problem. This Mio is set to Diseqc 1.2 to send signals to move the C band dish. In "setup" I also turned on diseqc 1.0 and choose port B for the 4 in 8 out multi switch and port C for the 1.2 meter. The 1.0 switches are out near the 1.2m dish. ASC1 inside near the Mio.
It seems the 1.0 switch isn't getting a signal to change ports. If I pull the switch and insert a barrel connector all works as before.
In "setup" I do have sequence repeat turned on. I'm not getting any signals through the 1.0 switch. I have a spare and I have the same problem.

What settings in setup should I be using?
One of my other Mio+ is set to Diseqc 1.2 to send USALS signals to a motor on my 90cm ku dish. All works fine.

I can't imagine my ASC1 is not passing the 1.0 commands.

I see that using a 1.1 switch I can choose the order of the commands. I do have a GEOSATpro 1x8 switch(GDSW81). Would that be a 1.1 switch?

I have had power disconnected every time when installing\uninstalling my switches.

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

I'm hoping I can get this new setup working. I moved my 1.2m dish to the other side of my yard. Added a 4 port LNBF. Added Diseqc 1.0 4 port switches. All is working great with my 2 Mio+ receivers and an Amiko SE.
I use a 3rd Mio+ to control my C band dish(ASC 1 also). Here's my problem. This Mio is set to Diseqc 1.2 to send signals to move the C band dish. In "setup" I also turned on diseqc 1.0 and choose port B for the 4 in 8 out multi switch and port C for the 1.2 meter. The 1.0 switches are out near the 1.2m dish. ASC1 inside near the Mio.
It seems the 1.0 switch isn't getting a signal to change ports. If I pull the switch and insert a barrel connector all works as before.
In "setup" I do have sequence repeat turned on. I'm not getting any signals through the 1.0 switch. I have a spare and I have the same problem.

What settings in setup should I be using?
One of my other Mio+ is set to Diseqc 1.2 to send USALS signals to a motor on my 90cm ku dish. All works fine.

I can't imagine my ASC1 is not passing the 1.0 commands.

I see that using a 1.1 switch I can choose the order of the commands. I do have a GEOSATpro 1x8 switch(GDSW81). Would that be a 1.1 switch?

I have had power disconnected every time when installing\uninstalling my switches.

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
that GeoSatPro switch is indeed a 1.1 switch.

I have MIO4k and MIO+, ASC-1 a 1.1 GSP switch, and a 1.0 switch connected to port 1 of the 1.1 switch. I set the ports accordingly in the satellite setup, and set the order to 1.1, 1.0, tone.

I also tried it with the 1.0 switch connected to other ports on the 1.1 switch, and that was not working reliably.

Reactions: Lee60
that GeoSatPro switch is indeed a 1.1 switch.

I have MIO4k and MIO+, ASC-1 a 1.1 GSP switch, and a 1.0 switch connected to port 1 of the 1.1 switch. I set the ports accordingly in the satellite setup, and set the order to 1.1, 1.0, tone.

I also tried it with the 1.0 switch connected to other ports on the 1.1 switch, and that was not working reliably.
Thank you very much for the info. Today I added a second lnb to the 1.2 m dish. Now getting 99 and 103.

I also installed a 1.0 switch that I know works on all ports. Still not working with the Mio and the ASC 1. I forgot to try the 1.1 switch so maybe tomorrow.

I'll add an update here as I try different things.

Thank you very much for the info. Today I added a second lnb to the 1.2 m dish. Now getting 99 and 103.

I also installed a 1.0 switch that I know works on all ports. Still not working with the Mio and the ASC 1. I forgot to try the 1.1 switch so maybe tomorrow.

You aren't installing/uninstalling those while powered up, right? That's not a good thing to do.

Here's my tuner setup. Mio>ASC1>Geosat 8X1 DISEqC switch>To dish (DiSEqC 1.1 command input 1 for C band, 2 for ku).

Attachments

• Tuner Setup ASC1.png
    Tuner Setup ASC1.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Tuner Setup ASC1_C band diseqc.png
    Tuner Setup ASC1_C band diseqc.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: Lee60 and Brct203

silly question... since it's a Mio+, tunerB is also DVB-s2 capable. What is its status? Did you disable it? Or is it also sonfigured for those same satellites? And when you try to tune in, what tuner is it showing that it's using? Could it be that you got everything plugged into tuner A and it's trying to receive from B?

one more thing... Is it working if you take the ASC-1 out of the equation? (connect the switch directly to the MIO)? Or if you take the switch out?
You get the idea, proceed by elimination by simplifying the setup, and reintroduce one element at a time

You aren't installing/uninstalling those while powered up, right? That's not a good thing to do.
No, I'm pulling the power plug each time I'm working on cables or switches. But thanks for the reminder.
I think I might need to inspect my cable run. Sometimes horz. transponders(18v) won't come in on this box.(with the ASC ). If I turn on another sat receiver in the house to horz. it will then always work. I have noticed this is worse the hotter the outside temps. are.

Last edited:
Arlo thank you very much for the screenshots! Pictures really are worth a thousand words.
Sorry you're having troubles. With the ASC1 out of the equation. Mio > Switch > Coax out. Port 1 C Band, Port 2 ku Band. And Tuner settings correct. I have no problems here with H/V on either lnbf.
The only initial problems I remember is leaving Band on in tuner settings.
Somewhere in the mix I tried using a 22 kHz switch and put it them back in the box. It wasn't fun.

silly question... since it's a Mio+, tunerB is also DVB-s2 capable. What is its status? Did you disable it? Or is it also sonfigured for those same satellites? And when you try to tune in, what tuner is it showing that it's using? Could it be that you got everything plugged into tuner A and it's trying to receive from B?

one more thing... Is it working if you take the ASC-1 out of the equation? (connect the switch directly to the MIO)? Or if you take the switch out?
You get the idea, proceed by elimination by simplifying the setup, and reintroduce one element at a time
The second tuner is currently unused. It had the 1.2m connected to it but now the 1.2m is on the other side of the house. I'm in no hurry to run another cable. It would require going under a sidewalk and then a trip into my attic. Not fun!.
I do need to do as you recommend. I've swapped in a 1.0 switch that I know works. So trying a new cable from the ASC1 to my outdoor switch box should be my next try. If that doesn't work I'll try bypassing the ASC1.

I'm sure glad this is a hobby. I sure couldn't make money at it!

When I first moved the 1.2m dish to the other side yard I couldn't get 99 to lock in. 103 was a piece of cake. Yesterday I went out with a lnb and my signal meter and just held the lnb next to the mounted lnb. Yup there were signals from 99. So I made a mount out of L angles and fiddled until I had 10.7db on the PBS freq. Crazy.

Reactions: Brct203
Sorry you're having troubles. With the ASC1 out of the equation. Mio > Switch > Coax out. Port 1 C Band, Port 2 ku Band. And Tuner settings correct. I have no problems here with H/V on either lnbf.
The only initial problems I remember is leaving Band on in tuner settings.
Somewhere in the mix I tried using a 22 kHz switch and put it them back in the box. It wasn't fun.
My horz problem isn't new. I had thought it was my multi switch(22kHz for KU) but I swapped in a 4in 8out and the problem has returned now it's hot outside again. I just leave my Amiko on in the guest bedroom 24\7 set to a horz channel. I fixed the symptom but not the underling problem. This cable run is my oldest run so I need to inspect If I replace it it the future I'm running at least 1 spare!

Reactions: arlo
My horz problem isn't new. I had thought it was my multi switch(22kHz for KU) but I swapped in a 4in 8out and the problem has returned now it's hot outside again. I just leave my Amiko on in the guest bedroom 24\7 set to a horz channel. I fixed the symptom but not the underling problem. This cable run is my oldest run so I need to inspect If I replace it it the future I'm running at least 1 spare!
FYI, signal strength on the PBS mux at 12140 on 99W used to be very weak, but went up by about 4dB a few weeks ago, and is now quite easy to receive, so that might explain the different result.

As for the horizontal problem, well I have to mention that I encountered a possibly similar problem with my ASC-1. It would randomly not recognize one of the polarities (I don't remember which one), until I power-cycle it. I would change transponder on the MIO, to a transponder with the other polarity , and the ASC-1 would not register the change. I would turn the ASC-1 off and back on and it would work fine again untill it would happen again a bit later. I worked around it by using a reversed splitter between the receiver and the ASC-1. I now have one branch of the splitter going to the Diseqc 1.1 switch and the other to the ASC-1, and nothing on the "LNB" side of the ASC-1. This way the LNB voltage is controlled only by the receiver and It no longer matters if the ASC-1 fails to register it.

now about your testing, make sure you set Tuner B to "disabled" if you are not using it, or the receiver might try to tune that one and of course get nothing.

Just a methodical approach. A multimeter would definitely be a plus. 13 VDC for vertical/right and 18 VDC for horizontal/left polarization. Center pin of the coax being +. Sometimes open circuit voltage may not be adequate as a check. Loading the coax with an lnbf, that and a switch combo, would help to diagnose. In other words if you had a short jumper coax where you could carefully open it and expose the center conductor while keeping the shield intact.
Just before the lnbf.
Probably a better way if the go no-go voltage check seems in the park.

Reactions: Lee60 and Brct203
Just a methodical approach. A multimeter would definitely be a plus. 13 VDC for vertical/right and 18 VDC for horizontal/left polarization. Center pin of the coax being +. Sometimes open circuit voltage may not be adequate as a check. Loading the coax with an lnbf, that and a switch combo, would help to diagnose. In other words if you had a short jumper coax where you could carefully open it and expose the center conductor while keeping the shield intact.
Just before the lnbf.
Probably a better way if the go no-go voltage check seems in the park.
Wow great info!! I'll be making a jumper you described in the near future.

FYI, signal strength on the PBS mux at 12140 on 99W used to be very weak, but went up by about 4dB a few weeks ago, and is now quite easy to receive, so that might explain the different result.

As for the horizontal problem, well I have to mention that I encountered a possibly similar problem with my ASC-1. It would randomly not recognize one of the polarities (I don't remember which one), until I power-cycle it. I would change transponder on the MIO, to a transponder with the other polarity , and the ASC-1 would not register the change. I would turn the ASC-1 off and back on and it would work fine again untill it would happen again a bit later. I worked around it by using a reversed splitter between the receiver and the ASC-1. I now have one branch of the splitter going to the Diseqc 1.1 switch and the other to the ASC-1, and nothing on the "LNB" side of the ASC-1. This way the LNB voltage is controlled only by the receiver and It no longer matters if the ASC-1 fails to register it.

now about your testing, make sure you set Tuner B to "disabled" if you are not using it, or the receiver might try to tune that one and of course get nothing.
I just double checked and tuner B is disabled. I think the power had been boosted prior to my moving the 1.2m. I'm chalking it up to operator error. I at first thought maybe I was "seeing" to much of my fence but seems not.
Yesterday I noticed that I had a bit of movement at the bottom of the pole attachment.
OK everyone likes pictures so I'm including one of my non penetrating type mount made out of aluminum extrusions. 2 of the added lnbf and a site pic so you can see why I was worried about the neighbors house being in the way.
20230607_115343.jpg
20230607_115636.jpg
20230607_115647.jpg
20230607_115700.jpg

as you can see I still need to tidy up my cables

Reactions: Brct203
Yesterday I tried to eliminate where my problem might be. I have a cable I made to do some OTA antenna testing. It will reach from my Mio out to the switch box. Tried it from the ASC1 to 1.0 switch. No go. Tried it direct from the Mio bypassing the ASC1. It works. Ok now I returned the ASC1 back inline but replaced the coax from the receiver. No go.
So I figured what the heck. I'll try my 1.1 1x8 switch. Changed the settings in the Mio to 1.1 and selected the right ports. It works!!!!
So I returned my setup back to the way it was(old cabling) and the 1x8 continues to work perfectly.
I'm stumped why the 1.0 switches would not work with this Mio but I'm just happy the setup is now working as I wanted.

The 18v problem still exists so I'll tackle that problem in the near future. Need to make up a short test cable like arlo suggested.

Yesterday I tried to eliminate where my problem might be. I have a cable I made to do some OTA antenna testing. It will reach from my Mio out to the switch box. Tried it from the ASC1 to 1.0 switch. No go. Tried it direct from the Mio bypassing the ASC1. It works. Ok now I returned the ASC1 back inline but replaced the coax from the receiver. No go.
So I figured what the heck. I'll try my 1.1 1x8 switch. Changed the settings in the Mio to 1.1 and selected the right ports. It works!!!!
So I returned my setup back to the way it was(old cabling) and the 1x8 continues to work perfectly.
I'm stumped why the 1.0 switches would not work with this Mio but I'm just happy the setup is now working as I wanted.

The 18v problem still exists so I'll tackle that problem in the near future. Need to make up a short test cable like arlo suggested.
I questioned if it was the image on my mio that wasn't sending 22 kHz for the 1.0 switch. I didn't try another at the time.
I used openatv 6.3 but have since moved to openvix.
Once I put the 1 X 8 into the mix everything just worked. Called it a day.
I was 100% sure to power everything down cold and pulled the juice due to hearing that 22 kHz switches didn't like hot swaps.
With just the mio > 22 kHz switch > out to the c & ku lnbf's. No joy. And I had 2 brand new never used Geosat switches.
Stubborn me tried everything that made sense. I couldn''t get the switches to hit port 2. Even tried the increase voltage thing in tuner setup.
Since the 1 X 8 did it I never did couple a 'scope to coax to see if the tone was leaving the receiver.

No problem with 22kHz here as I also use a 4x8 Zinwell multi switch to switch between C and KU lnbfs(dual outputs). I too wondered if my TNAP 4.2 image was at fault.

Running 4 Zinwell switches here to my MIO 4k, works very well. Also several diseqc 1.1 switches to choose the proper powered switch. Rather complicates setup with 9 stationary dishes and two rotatables. ASC-1 runs the C-band actuator.
Most receivers and/or cards will run this stuff. Just a nightmare sometimes when something goes wrong! I use mostly Commscope/Belden cable with compression connectors. Even use RG-11 for the long runs from the "downlink center" to the house.

Yes this hobby has gotten the best of me I think... :)

I have a spare Zinwell 4x4 switch. If I were to put it into service I'm not sure I could fit it in my switch box.;)

I can remember when I fed only 1 tv with 1 dish. Now I feed 5 tv's with 3 dishes(5 lnbf) . Wish I had known the future I would have run 4 coax runs to each tv. 2 for satellite, 1 for OTA and 1 for FM.