Newbie question about safe speaker volumes

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I have a Yamaha RX-663 home theater receiver with Polk RM6750 speakers. Is there a general rule or formula to figure out what a safe maximum volume is for my speakers? I know that 0 is supposed to be max volume and the negative numbers are measured as being less than the max, but is that maximum a safe volume to use?

There are many factors involved here. Going by the #'s on the volume knob for an amp is really meaningless.

1) Speakers are all different. The "sensitivity" or efficiency of speakers is one factor. (ie. one pair is 89db @ one watt/one meter. another is 99db @ 1w/1m.

This means the more efficient speaker (99db 1w/1m) will be 10 db louder at the same volume setting. (For the most part)

2) the input source may be " hotter" than another. (your CD player may have a higher output voltage than your DVD player etc.)

This means the same CD played in your CD player will be "X" louder than when played in your DVD player. (with the receiver volume control at the same spot )

3) CD's, DVD's, are all going to have different output levels. Recorded/mastered at different levels relative to each other.

The only way to really determine how loud something is, is with an SPL meter.

Common sense is the best bet. If it's really loud and you get annoyed by the sound.... turn it down it's too loud.

Common sense is the best bet. If it's really loud and you get annoyed by the sound.... turn it down it's too loud.
On the other hand though, when I'm watching something in HD the volume levels tend to be a lot lower, so if I turn it all the way up to -10 for example, even though the sound isn't extremely loud, am I possibly working my receiver too hard, or should it be ok?

On the other hand though, when I'm watching something in HD the volume levels tend to be a lot lower, so if I turn it all the way up to -10 for example, even though the sound isn't extremely loud, am I possibly working my receiver too hard, or should it be ok?

If you don't hear any distortion and your house isn't falling apart the amp okay!!

Loud enough not to hear the kids driving their boom box down the street, but not so loud that the neighbors call the cops.

What sounds loud is distortion. Distortion is also what kills speakers, especially tweeters. You can actually go to fairly high levels with good equipment without it sounding loud, but when it sounds loud, it is actuially because either the amp is flat topping into saturation, or the speakers are bottoming out on their throw. Neither is a good thing.

The 0 on your amp is meaningless, especially as described. Kind of like the amplifier on "Spinal Tap" that goes to 11.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts