Newbie question on 522

ignition

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Called sbc/dish customer service and read every part of 522 manual and still cannot turn receiver totally off. Receiver currently connected only to 1 TV thru TV1. Nothing connected to TV2. Cannot turn receiver fully off manually with receiver button or using TV2 remote. TV1 and mode light (dual) does turn off using TV1 remote.

Blue TV2 light remains on after TV1 and mode light goes off, and HD continues churning when unit powers down using remote. What am I missing?

If I can't turn blue TV2 light (and therefore hard drive) totally off, will unit wear out quickly or is it normal for it to be always churning? Thought I had done all reasearch from reading the threads here...and in fact went with Dish only after lurking here.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks boba. I suspected would still hear fan and hd when you hit the power button. I can understand the unit being designed to be in a state of sleep when powered off from the remote or button, just thought the blue TV2 light being always on meant something was still on which should not be. I killed the power, rebooted and blue light still won't turn off when you hit the power button.

If anything, I would think the TV1 light would remain on when you pushed the power button off. Has to be a software glitch.

Guess I'll just ignore it, and worry about it when it wears out.

You might want to connect the RCA or RG59 jack from TV2 to something and see what is showing on the screen.

If all you want to do is turn off tuner 2 push the power button on remote 2 it works on my 522. If the remote dosen't turn off tuner 2 call SBC or DISH whoever is supposed to take care of you you probably have a defective receiver or installation.

Pepper, I put tv2 out into another TV and then into my front room tv instead of tv1. Neither showed any connection, let alone a picture or error.

The installers never even set up tv2. They were fishing around for a tip, and I am glad I decided not to give them one.

I might try calling DISH, but my contract says call sbc/dish, and of course I got someone from India. The sbc partnering with dish will probably help both companies, but I doubt anyone really knows who is responsible for tech support...probably the sbc India guys. And I am sure this is the price I have to pay for NOT having to pay anything for installation. And I guess that is why private techs can make the bucks to fix incomplete or bad installations of sbc or dish.

The guy responding obviously from India, was the same ole customer service types where they are there to just be a live person to talk to, but not actually resolve any real technical problems. I suppose I should have asked for a supervisor, but I wanted to fully understand how everything worked. I'm getting a feeling TV2 tuner doesn't work at all as I have not been able to record anything on it.

What channel is TV2 set to? That's the typical problem. Default is UHF 60 or 73. I don't have one here or I'd tell you the Menu option number, but look for 'Modulator' - it's in at least 2 places.

TV2 Setup

OK, this is going to be a bit long, but after this, if you cannot control TV2 and the blue light, call dish and RA the 522. Kick, scream and complain that your installer was mentally challenged.

If you have time to kill and patience, you can set it up yourself. It is fairly easy and the following steps should fix your problem in 30 minutes or less.

[Cable Connection]
Make sure that you have your cable from the back of the 522 [CH 21-69 Out] in the shaded TV2 to your Second TV.

[Modulator Setup] - This picks a channel for the 522 TV2 out to broadcast to.

MENU - 6 - 1 - 5

On the right side, choose a channel in your area that is not in use. I use 23. You can pick a channel from 21 to 69 in AIR mode or 73 to 125 in CABLE MODE. Tune your TV2 to the same channel. If your TV is set up for CABLE, or AIR, make sure that you choose the same on your 522 AND your TV2.

Turn on your TV2. You should have a picture if the Blue light is on.

If no picture yet, and for testing purposes, switch TV1 and TV2 outputs on the back of the 522, so you dont have to run from room to room to check the video.

Make sure you have a green, blue and yellow light on.

Tune TV1 to the channel you chose earlier (like mine at 23). IF you now have picture on your TV1, check TV2 for a picture on Channel 3 or 4.

If no picture on your second TV you have a bad cable run to TV2. Replace it.

Once you have a picure on both TV's the next thing is to correctly connect the cables back to the right connections and channels and verify you still have a picture on both TV's.

[REMOTE 2 SETUP]

Bring remote 2 with you and stand in front of the 522 with TV1 on.

MENU - 6 - 1 - 3
using remote 1 (or System info button on the front of the 522)

Set your Secondary Remote address to a different number other than 1(assuming it is set to the default of 1 now). I set mine to 16. That way it doesn't interfere with my other UHF remote.

This will verify that your remote is talking to the 522 and is working.

First make sure the little wire antenna is sticking up from the back of the 522. Without it, it can't hear your TV2 remote.

Press the SAT button on Remote 2 until all the mode button light up, then let go.

Enter a number between 1 and 16 using the number pad. Choose anything but whatever is currently displayed there.

Press # (the SAT button on the remote will flash 3 times if you did it right)

Press RECORD. (below yellow pause button)

You should see the address change from 1 to whatever you entered on the Syetem Info screen. If not, try again just to make sure. If it doesn't do anything, you may have a bad TV2 Remote.

I have seen some bad UHF Pro remotes. Sometimes pulling the battery cover and yanking out the blue key and putting it back in is enough to fix it. Sometimes not. (Blue side up, not green)

If it did change the number to the one you entered, you are home free and done. You should now be able to change channels and turn off the blue light indicating that tuner 2 is shut off.

That covers all of the possible things I can think of.

Good luck!

ignition said:
The installers never even set up tv2. They were fishing around for a tip, and I am glad I decided not to give them one.
Ignition,

This may be a dumb question but comes from my personal experience.

Were you sold a 522 system with only one input(sat 1) or two inputs(sat 1 and sat 2)? Does your 522 have two input wires into the back of it or only one? In my case, I was sold a system with which I could watch one thing(TV1/Sat 1) and record something else(TV 2/Sat 2). It has taken since February to convince these people that to get this functionality two inputs are needed. If you were sold a two input/two output system they need to make it right. If on the other hand you were sold a one input/one output system and are happy with that, the 522 is still a very functional PVR.

Curious about your experience,

Cheers

:yes Mark

Thank you so much for your great instructions. You have provided such a detailed all inclusive checklist that lights went off in my head, and I finally think I understand. I'm very appreciative and I'm going to futz with my system with confidence now that I have your plan of action.

Hi Eastern OR,

SBC/Dish used one fat cable from the Dish containing two separate lines which were plugged separately into SAT1 and Sat2 inputs of the 522 receiver.

My initial concern that the blue TV2 light would not go off when the power off button was pressed lead me to believe that TV2 tuner was not working at all. This was probably my fault, as I had told the installers not to plug in TV2 out into my bedroom TV, because I wanted to plug it in myself into my ATI AIW computer TV tuner card.

Now, armed with Mark's checklist I can truly find out if TV2 is working.

MARK...MARK where should I send the beer?

I am so very happy. Now have TV2! Prior to seeing your help, I did get a call back from Dish's India customer service and they were more confused that I was and they just wasted my time.

I am so thankful that you provided such explicit all inclusive step by step instructions which I could not get straight from the manual. Testing and switching tv1 and tv2 and being able by your instructions to determine whether I had a problem with the remote or the receiver was invaluable.

First off, I found the installer did not even install the TV2 UHF Pro antenna, and I would have missed that requirement if you hadn't called it to my attention. When I still could not be a picture, I went thru the tests changing the modulator numbers...and now everything is perfect.

Thanks

:) :) :) :yes

ignition said:
I am so very happy. Now have TV2! Prior to seeing your help, I did get a call back from Dish's India customer service and they were more confused that I was and they just wasted my time.
Unh. While we can all agree that Dish's CSRs are generally poor, they are NOT (that I've ever found) overseas. I've talked to at least 3 different centers, all right here in the USA.

You must be talking about SBC support, eh?

SimpleSimon said:
Unh. While we can all agree that Dish's CSRs are generally poor, they are NOT (that I've ever found) overseas. I've talked to at least 3 different centers, all right here in the USA.

I am glad to hear this Simon. And perhaps I should not have stated twice that my customer service contacts were from India since they did not identify themselves as such...not that they would.

I used the customer service number from my SBC site. I do consider that I can very accurately detect foreign accents (having toured the entire world with the Navy for several decades) and there is no doubt in my mind that the English was definitely not the native tongue of the two customer service agents I talked to.

I also got a SBC QA call this afternoon clearly from a SBC rep from a Southern State. I sure appreciated the fact that SBC/Dish does followup QA and I gave generally "excellent" marks on everything despite my TV2 set up problem.

I don't necessarily think outsourced customer service techs in India and elsewhere are always bad, but they usually do not have the authority or full access to accounts to do the job.

Sometimes I think these outsourced India customer service agents for all companies are there merely to patiently hold your hands. They are not authorized to take on any major troubleshooting, and one has to demand the problem be escalated up the supervisor chain.

Again, I am very thankful this Forum is here. Could not have resolved my problem without the help I got from Mark. :)

If you're not calling 1-800-333-3474, you're not reaching "Dish", you're reaching someone else - e.g. SBC. I'm going to guess that the joint agreement they have is that SBC has to handle the support calls instead of Dish themselves, and the low-lifes at SBC (like Qwest) don't have the sense to do a decent job of anything.

SimpleSimon said:

they are evry where i talk to indi more than anywhere else if you ask them they will say yes some are very good at hiding there accents

SimpleSimon said:

I've had CSR's call me from Singapore... could barely understand a word they said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)