Newbie question re: component out

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottzee

Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
All right, I'm not good with these technical things, so please, bear with me.
I'm relying on a friend who knows his stuff.
I have set up a home theater type of room in the basement with a big screen and an expensive sound system (my tech friend made me buy it:) I am a Directv customer. In the basement I have just a regular receiver. Upstairs in the living room I have a DVR.
I want to buy a DVR for the basement, and was looking at the new R15 through Value Electronics. I'm not going to go HD for a couple of reasons, but I want the best picture I can get. My big screen has "component in", but the R15 doesn't have "Component out". According to my friend, in order of picture quality, it goes Component, S-Video, Composite, Coaxial. Is this correct? And if so, do they make a non-HD DVR that has "Component out"?
Thanks in advance for anyone who could help me with this.

scottzee said:
According to my friend, in order of picture quality, it goes Component, S-Video, Composite, Coaxial. Is this correct?
Yes.
(Although before Component is actually HDMI.)

scottzee said:
And if so, do they make a non-HD DVR that has "Component out"?

Nope. Generally, if you can't afford a HD Receiver, you don't need Component video out. S-Video is the best you can do in the SD space.

Your friend is correct on the order of picture quality. Unfortunately there is no component out on the R10 or the R15 (the two current DTV DVRs).

Most DVD players do Component out over SD and it looks better than S-Video.

However, I have not seen any cable/dish/directv box that does standard def over component out.

yelloguy said:
Most DVD players do Component out over SD and it looks better than S-Video.

However, I have not seen any cable/dish/directv box that does standard def over component out.

Actually, my Phillips 5540C DirecTV receiver is SD with component outputs....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts