Newbie question(s) - Galaxy 14

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kd6icz

Original poster
Sep 29, 2009
Pomona, CA
I am new to this hobby. I don't own any equipment yet and would like to know what I need to get started.

I am interested in receiving channels on Galaxy 14 - Music Choice. From what I can tell, these appear to fall under "Free to Air"????

What dish, LNB, and receiver do I need to get these C-band channels. It says they use digicipher II. I would assume the Motorola 922? As far as antennas go I haven't a clue.

Music Choice

is that all you want ? Music Choice
you would need it for Digicipher 2 . it would have to be all working and i do believe you would have to buy a channel to activate the Digicipher 2 unit.

someone will tell you about dish size.

good luck

Last edited:
I am new to this hobby. I don't own any equipment yet and would like to know what I need to get started.

I am interested in receiving channels on Galaxy 14 - Music Choice. From what I can tell, these appear to fall under "Free to Air"????

What dish, LNB, and receiver do I need to get these C-band channels. It says they use digicipher II. I would assume the Motorola 922? As far as antennas go I haven't a clue.

If you are not interested in the subscription channels, it is cheaper to get a *USED* commercial DCII receiver. The *FREE* digicipher channels are either ZK (unencrypted) or FP (a fixed process key). Most music channels, and a few video channels are ZK, but most free video channels are FP. A new DCII receiver can usually get ZK. I think that for a 4DTV like the 922 to get FP channels, you need to be authorized for something, but a commercial DCII receiver like a DSR4200 can receive FP channels if it has ever been authorized, even if not currently authorized, which is the reason that getting a used one is better than getting a new one. You can get a used 4200 for less than $50.
Of course a 4200 cannot move your dish, but if you aren't going to subscribe to DCII programming, there are much cheaper and much more convenient ways of moving the dish that will give you more capability, such as the capability of receiving DVB FTA channels.
Anyway, if you aren't going to subscribe, I'd recommend getting a DSR-4200, along with a VBOX type of dish mover and a DVB or possibly DVB-S2 HD receiver, depending upon what else you're interested in. THe 4200 can be slaved off the DVB receiver, and the DVB receiver can use the VBOX mover to move the dish.
If you're just interested in a few channels like the music channels, then you can probably get by with a 6' dish, but if you want to receive most of what you see on Lyngsat, then you're better off with a 10' dish. For DCII reception, it's also important that your LNBs are standard, not universal. This isn't an issue on C-band, but is on Ku with some LNBF choices.
Re the DVB or DVB-S2 receivers, the DVB receivers are mostly SD capable, and are getting cheaper and cheaper, you can get used ones for less than $50, but DVB-S2 8PSK receivers that are HD and MPEG4 capable, and often have OTA ATSC built in, and often have PVR capability are a bit more expensive.

There are an infinite number of choices, all depending upon what you're interested in receiving.

WOW! So much to know. Thank you for all that information. This is going to be one of things that I just have to get a working setup to completely understand.

I can assure you that Music Choice is not ALL I am going to want. It is more like a starting point. I figured I will get a dish and receiver that can see all of whats on Galaxy 14 and next week get the ich to buy something that can see more.

So I am best off getting a 10' dish with a "standard C-band LNB". I would assume that it will say that in the description?

One thing that is important to me is a Digital Audio output on the receiver. Optical or Coax is fine. I know the 922 has that but I not familar with the DVB receiver. The DVB receiver also does Digicipher II?

Oh yeah, I don't mind paying for something. Those were just the channels I wanted to start with and they happened to say Free Radio next to them.

DVB or free to air rec will not do Digicipher-encrypted signals, hence the suggestions about
the DSR4200 commercial rec, or the 4DTV consumer receivers.

Sadly G14 (formerly G5) is a shell of what it use to be for consumers. Only a few movie channels that can be subbed (Starz)

If your going to get deep into the hobby it's best to get started off right. Since you want MC you need a DC-2, I would suggest a 4DTV. That will give you access to all the c band consumer subs also. You need a 10 foot dish to do it right with a polarotor and c band lnb or a LNBF also an actuator is needed to move the dish. Then as you get more involved you will need a DVB-S or S2 receiver for FTA feed's.

I think I am starting to get the picture now. I have been looking at used 922's on ebay and noticed something interesting. One had a "dead battery" and lost all its authorization data? Is this common on the Motorola / G.I. units? Who do I pay money to to "activate" an new Motorola 922 if needed? (or is it even possible)

Also, if I were to get a 10' dish, what would be a good model for not too much money? I would like a motor driven model but my back yard has lots of trees. So if I want to see a different sat than the one the dish is pointed at, it will require me to pick up and move the dish to a different location to avoid a tree. I rent so I don't think the landlord would like me removing the trees.

Along with my 10' dish I need an LNB. Is that different than a feedhorn? I thought the answer to that was NO but I just want to make sure.

The feedhorn is seperate from the lnb. Another device that is an integrated feedhorn and lnb is called an lnbf. In most cases a seperate feedhorn and lnb will give you a little better reception. Some feedhorns like the chaparall corotor will accomodate a ku lnb as well so you can get both c and ku on your big dish if it is ku capable (small holes in the mesh that a #2 pencil wont pass through or it is solid metal).

The corotor requires a receiver like an old analog unit that will rotate the servo motor in the feedhorn to go between horizontal and vertical.

KD6ICZ... DON'T get a 4DTV receiver with a dead battery. Once the battery is dead, they're toast.
They'll move the dish, but no more DCII.
Make sure you get a good one. Just thumb through the posts in the 4DTV forum to find all the info you'll ever need on that subject...
Not sure how much room you have for expansion, but you may want to get a dedicated Ku dish (1 meter or so) and keep your BUD a C-Band only. It will probably be easier to setup and maybe more versatile for you... just my 2 cents there... the 4D receiver doesn't need Ku - however, you WILL want Ku & C for a DVB fta receiver. A good receiver to start with for FTA is one of the CoolSats (I have a 6000) They are inexpensive and great for learning. Then step up to a HD box with PVR and you have arrived ;)
As far as the 4DTV subscriptions there are a handful of companies from which you can mix and match subscriptions to your hearts content (yes, you did read that right)... again - look in the 4DTV forum for those.

If you decide to purchase a used DSR4200, try to get one with a remote control if possible. It uses a unique "time" button to access the setup menus. Some people have reported using remotes from other General Instrument or Motorola receivers that have a "PPV" or "buy" button that also works for those receivers.

I think 14karat makes a good case.

Let me make a few suggestions for you getting started:
- landlords probably wouldn't appreciate 10' BUDs - :eek:
- BUDs are typically installed in a deep hole with lots of cement (again, not landlord-friendly)
- motorized dishes which sweep most of the arc are highly desirable.
- if you get started on Ku band with a 1 meter dish, you can get well educated in satellites and relocate the dish if necessary.
- as you read more and get better informed of all the variables, you can branch out into C-band in a way that will work for you

Basically, I'm suggesting a 1 meter (or 36") motorized Ku dish, with a DVB receiver as a starter system.
As you get a firmer idea of where you want to go, you may be able to find and relocate a free BUD from the neighborhood.
You'll also have gotten a better idea which trees block which birds, and where the sweet spot might be in your yard for a BUD.

edit:
Also, check out TVfool.com for all the OTA TV we get from Los Angeles
There are 25 stations with 60-70 sub-channels available, and ignoring all those choices would really be a shame.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)