Newbie question

Strudders

Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
OK, I have DISH 500 and a buddy of mine gave me a Dish network PVR which I want to add to my system. I tried using a cable splitter after the dish and did a switch test. The original tv worked just fine but the new PVR could only detect the 119 satellite.
What am I doing wrong? Called dishnet customer no-service and they suggested I get a tech out at a cost of $99 plus parts to install the unit. I'm cheap so I figured you guys might be able to point me in the right direcvtion on EBay.

THanks in advance! First to respond gets a beer.

You cant use a "splitter" to feed a receiver. Your going to need a "switch"
You need to tell us about your current set-up so we can help you figure out what you will need.

depends on what lnb/switches your dish 500 has and how many receivers you had before and what model PVR/DVR it is.
example: If it's a "twin lnb" and you had only a single receiver and your DVR is a 510 you can just run a line from unused output of the "twin lnb" to feed the 510.
But if it is says "PVR" it's probably a 721 and needs 2 inputs because it's has 2 tuners. As you can see, we need much more info?

OK, Initially I had one dish with one cable coming out of it to a DVR model 510. The dish has a dual LNB. I can see the 110 and 119 satellites with >90% strength on both.
The PVR I am trying to set up is a model 508. When I connected it in an identical configuration to that of the 510, it detected the 110 and the 119 (but since I had not activated the yellow smart card yet, I could not view channels).
Given this information, I get the idea there is a second output on the LNB I can use to run direct to the 508? Is this right?

go to your 510 and press menu 6-1-3 system will to self test and on line ( h ) it will tell you what LNB and switch you running. and can you lat us know that way we can tell you what you can do

Last edited:
:welcome strudders
I would suggest posting exactly the details on the check switch screen. These guys need to know exactly what dual or twin or whatever LNB you actually have. The reason is some LNB's have a switch built in to do as you suggest , others dont.

It may be what you suggest is possible or it may not

Here's a link that explains a bit more http://ekb.dbstalk.com/35

You need to run a new line off the other port of the LNB, to your 508, then run a check switch. Grounding is always a plus.

You can't imagine how many service calls I've had because of customer's rearanging furniture and extending cables with splitters. Easy money.

Thanks guys!
You all rock and here is a virtual pint of beer for you all...
I'll post back when I get the RG6 coax cable connected to the 508...

chadzx11 said:
You need to run a new line off the other port of the LNB, to your 508, then run a check switch. Grounding is always a plus.

You can't imagine how many service calls I've had because of customer's rearanging furniture and extending cables with splitters. Easy money.

i hate that especially if it is after internal tech and they over looked that, and we get hit on that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts