Newbie questions extending space on 510 DVR

Hondo78

Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
S.F. Peninsula
Hello all-

This may be a newbie question but I still don't have the answer, so Does anybody have the skinnie on how to use the Dish DVR 510 SCCI port at the rear of the box?
I am attempting to use this for an external drive to store movies, shows etc but want more than 100 hours or so of programing. Or to export to a DVD burner for later play.

I talked to someone at Fry's electroics who had opened the box and added a larger Hard drive and somehow exported the movies onto and external HD. (I would guess through his computer.

Any leads, like a USB/firewire buffalo drive,

Sorry, no can do.

The 510 does not support external hard drives. You can hook up a DVD burner to the usual outputs and burn in real time only. Anything else would be hacking, which this site does not support.

Get you a ViP211, and add an external hard drive to it. It will take up to a 750GB HD maybe larger if it is not a hybrid drive (case with 2 or more actual drives in it).

Dish-N'-It Up probably $50 to lease the 211, one time fee of $39 to activate EHD, no DVR fees like with your 510, just a monthly lease fee of $7 if it's your 2nd Receiver or above.

Except for the initial outlay of $39+50=$89, your monthly bill will only be effected by the HD programming difference, maybe $10-12 per month.

Little piece of true

Hello all-

This may be a newbie question but I still don't have the answer, so Does anybody have the skinnie on how to use the Dish DVR 510 SCCI port at the rear of the box?
I am attempting to use this for an external drive to store movies, shows etc but want more than 100 hours or so of programing. Or to export to a DVD burner for later play.

I talked to someone at Fry's electroics who had opened the box and added a larger Hard drive and somehow exported the movies onto and external HD. (I would guess through his computer.

Any leads, like a USB/firewire buffalo drive,

Step by step:
- "SCCI", if you mean SCSI, then used wrong acronym
- a port on back of PVR501/508/510 is E*IDE (Echostar or Enhanced as you wish); only Dish knows how to connect second disk to the connector
- someone at Fry's can't told you about bigger drive; only 120 GB could be used inside ( I know about APPROVED 160 GB disks, but usable size will be same as for 120 GB ) and your PVR510 already have the 120 GB disk
- reading same question here for many years I remember good advise to look at Yahoo group dishrip.

P. Smith is right. Except I'll add right now that PVRExplorer (from DishRip Yahoo group) is currently broken for the 50x series of PVRs. Video extraction still works, but the audio is useless.

I'm getting ready to swap out my 510 for a 722. To get the videos off the 510 I bought a Pinnacle video box that supports S-video and stereo, then digitizes that to a USB connection. I will import the video into Pinnacle Studio on my PC. I can leave the videos on PC hd's or burn to DVDs. The PC will be hooked up my big screen soon so I can play the videos back to the big screen. Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)