Newbie signing up for Dish for first time, some questions though...

scott78945

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I am going tomorrow to most likely sign up for Dish Network for the first time. I think I have decided to get the 625 receiver for 2 rooms and then the standard receiver for the other room. I plan on getting local channels so I need the SuperDish also. Should I get the HD receiver, 811, now for the HD TV and just wait for a killer deal later on down the road for the HD DVR or should I just stick with the 625? I am unsure what is the better deal and the more I think the more confusing it is. I have been reading some posts and had some questions. I had already read up on the snow issues as I live in central NY so I am not too worried. Are there any hidden costs to this? I am sure you are all aware of the deals they are currently running with the free movie channels for 3 months, the free first month, and free DVR upgrade. Is this a good deal? I havn't been looking into this that long so I am unsure if this is that great of a deal and I am relying on everyone's expertise here to tell me if it is. I would love to hold out for the HD DVR but I don't want to spend the $250 for the lease so for now I am going for the regular receivers with DVR. Is the monthly charge for service worth it? Will I still get customer support without it? Should I just wait for an HD DVR deal to be coming but who knows when that may be. Thanks all for any input you have.

Well I'll tell you Scott I would not recommend switching over to Satellite. I just did switch from cable to satellite, mostly because there are more NHL games available on satellite. But I've noticed what's called "pixelation" on one of my favorite shows. Never had it when I had cable. I'm also worrying about what will happen when it starts to snow or rain. I'm sure the reception is going to be interrupted. This world in which we live is all about advertising. Every company that sells a product will boast about why their product is better than the competition's product. But they never tell you the disadvantages of what they sell. Beware.

I recently switched over to dish. Here is why. They have the MOST HD programing. And "I" believe that it is sharper than their other Satellite competion. I am very happy that I did. Previously I had a service that even offered Network channels in High definition. Yet, I think their lineup is better, and Dish Network's High Definition programing is the BEST. They offer a westerns channel, an action channel, etc. etc. etc. All at a lower price than the other satellite company. (The other company's price point in some areas of programing is sky rocketing)

Yes! Get the High definition 811 now! It is much easier to get now than it will be after you become a dish Network subscriber. If it were me, and I had to do it over again, I would get all of the High Def receivers that Dish would be willing to give me. To me, this is important, especially if you have a high def tv in your house. You won't regret it.

Further, DVR's even if they are not high Definition are well worth getting. The pause, rewind, fast forward feature is something most people really like once they have it. Also, you will be able to record two programs at the same time with the 625 DVR without having to put in the VCR tapes or rewinding after you are done.

Good luck! and enjoy DishNetwork! I believe they are the best.

357mag: Sounds like the installer didn't peak (aim) the dish correctly. Don't yell until you check your signal strengths. Sat's 110 & 119 transponders 11 & 12 should all be 90 or above - high 80's are acceptable with certain receiver models.

scott: YES - get the 811 now instead of a basic receiver. Trying to upgrade later could be a real PITA, and if you've already got an HDTV, it's a must. I install a LOT of 811/625 combos due to E* charging the $250 extortion fee for the 942.

Ok, I went today and I signed up. Nothing is written in stone yet. This is what I got. I got the 625 box and the regular box, I believe it was the 322 but i could be wrong. After reading some of the posts I am now considering getting the HD box for the living room and then the 625 for my bedroom and computer room. I do like the idea of watching my DVR in the living room but I can live with it being in the bedroom. I just don't know what to do. I tend to agree with you SimpleSimon as to get the HD Box now. When you say the 811/625 combos I am assuming that you mean people are using the HD boxes with their HD tv's and then putting the 625 in the other rooms and just watching them in there. Is the 811 box able to do what the 625 box does by working on 2 televisions at once? I only have 1 HD tv but was hoping that I could get regular channels on another TV. Forgive me as I am a total newbie. I have had Time Warner for the past 10 years and don't know any different. Thanks for all the help guys, I will be going for the 811 HD box with 625 in the bedroom.

Scott,

please make sure you get the 811 box BEFORE they come out and establish an account. Once you are installed, they will not give it to you to use. You will have to buy it!! and you are exactly correct. They use the 811 on the high def. and the 625 in another room.

Here is something else for you to think about... you can get a tivo type unit for about $50 and use it with your high def tv as well.. Some people go that route too, so they have high def plus the ability to record their programs from the 811.

No. The first thing I did was to go back to the store and tell them about these blotches of color. The guy said he has never heard of this before. All he could do for me was to check my signal strength. So I went home and checked it with him while I was on the phone. He said it looked good, and he said I could give Dish Network a call. So I did. I talked to a girl and she also took me through several steps to check the signal. Again, she said the signal strength appeared good. If I could get some more info about this inferior receiver maybe I could have something done about it. But if the receiver is sending a weak signal or this RF signal to the TV in the bedroom then why do they do it?

Thanks for the reply Spike. I was thinking earlier about the Tivo when looking through the Sunday paper today. Thanks for answering my question before I even had to ask!! They are going to call me within 72 hours to set up a time for them to come and check out where the dish can go before they install it so I will let them know that I want the 811 and the 625. I was also looking into Voom as I will get the HD Pak for free for 6 months but I have also read about something called Dish 1000. What is this and should I even worry about it? They are going to be installing a SuperDish for me now but I didn't tell them I wanted the 811 then so I am unsure if this will cause a problem. They have to use the SuperDish as I live in Syracuse, NY. I believe it has something to do with where I live.

I have NO clue what your last post is about, but note that the TV2 feed of the 625 can be routed to more than one TV - it can be any way from so trivially easy teh installer will just do it, to a mutha of a cable run.

What about the last post was confusing? Spike had mentioned that many people are using Tivo on thieir 811 boxes instead of paying the $250 upgrade fee. Then I had read another post by another member that he was looking to get the Dish 1000 or something like that because he was going to get Voom and his local channels and they had just come out but are in short supply. Just trying to clarify what I need but as you stated, I am assuming the installer will know all of this already. I understand that the 625 can be split to 2 tv's. I just didn't know if the 811 can do the same thing that the 625 can do, meaning splitting to 2 tv's. How hard is it to install a Tivo to the 811? I would assume it is easy.

If you want the 811, they are going to tell you that you have to reschedule your installation. That is the only downside, but, I found out that the reschedule sometimes happens the same day, or the day after at the latest.

As far as the superdish and the dish 1000, I can't answer those questions, since I did my own install using other equipment. I know some about them, but I don't know enough to answer. Good luck.

Thanks Spike. I will be calling them tomorrow to clear things up. I may wait on the Tivo thing as I don't want to spend another $12.95 to DVR in the livingroom. I will try to live with it in my bedroom for the moment.

The 811 does not have an RF output, so you would need to buy a modulator to send it's SD signal via coax, or use a wireless video setup.

The Tivo should work - except IIRC, it can't control the 811 which uses a UHF remote. I never tried it, so take that with some salt. One thing for sure - the Tivo is not going to record HD, only downconverted content.

Install a Tivo? An 811? Split the 625 into two TV's? $250 upgrade bill? I'll tell you this whole satellite business is too complicated. Cable is much easier. Plug the black cord into your TV and your done. No dishes, no receivers, no pixelation, just simple cable TV. The only reason I switched to Dish was so I could watch more NHL games. That is the only advantage Dish has. You will get more programming to watch. If cable offered OLN or NHL Center Ice I would have stuck with them.

When you cable has "outages" about 3x's per month, it isn't very reliable. Am I saying that Dish is any better, I don't know, maybe or maybe not. Our cable tv sucks and they charge you an arm and a leg for it. For me to get what I am getting with Dish through Time Warner it would cost me about $90 as opposed to the $60 I will be paying. Quite a difference if you ask me. FYI Spike, I did change to the 811 receiver with the 625 in the other rooms. I was going to get Voom but I need to spend an additional $100 for a second dish and that isn't happening. I will enjoy my HD Pak. Maybe upgrade down the road.

They are supposed to be coming Saturday morning. I made the changes on the receivers yesterday when they called. He said it wasn't a problem. I can't wait to see what it looks like compared to my analog cable. Now to just get the antenna right so I can get OTA HD channels, not easy in a house with aluminum siding...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)