Newbie Technical Qs (612 or 722 receivers)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HungryHippo

Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Maryland
Hello,

I am looking to switch back to Dish and I got some questions. I have one HD TV.

1) 612 vs. 722 receiver

It is possible that I might add a TV into a guest room, it isnt likely. Even if I do add a TV, I would just want a regular receiver, not a DVR. Is there any fundamental difference between the 612 and the 722 other than the capacity to have a second TV on it?

2) OTA antenna & HDMI cables

Would Dish install these as part of my installation?

3) External Drive

How easy is this to set up? Do I just buy an extra drive and plug it in? Also, how many hours (standard and HD) of recording could I get on a 500 G hard drive?

4) Phone line

Do I need a phone line or can I subsitute a connection to my DSL internet?

5) Remote access

Can I program a 612 or 722 by remote access over the internet?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Hello,

I am looking to switch back to Dish and I got some questions. I have one HD TV.

1) 612 vs. 722 receiver

It is possible that I might add a TV into a guest room, it isnt likely. Even if I do add a TV, I would just want a regular receiver, not a DVR. Is there any fundamental difference between the 612 and the 722 other than the capacity to have a second TV on it?

2) OTA antenna & HDMI cables

Would Dish install these as part of my installation?

3) External Drive

How easy is this to set up? Do I just buy an extra drive and plug it in? Also, how many hours (standard and HD) of recording could I get on a 500 G hard drive?

4) Phone line

Do I need a phone line or can I subsitute a connection to my DSL internet?

5) Remote access

Can I program a 612 or 722 by remote access over the internet?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

(1) The 612 is a dual tuner HD receiver designed for one HDTV. While you could connect a second HDTV, it would have to view the same programming as the first TV. The 722 is a dual tuner receiver designed to provide independent programming to one HDTV and one SDTV. It can also be used in "single" mode to provide PIP for one HDTV.

(2) no to both. Order your HDMI cables from monoprice.com. The installer may offer to sell you a HDMI cable. E* doesn't normally provide them with the install. If you're just talking about making the OTA connection to the receiver and scanning for locals, some installers do it for you. If you're talking about eresting th OTA antenna on a roof and running cable to the receiver and TV or something like, that's not part of a standard install. If you use a local retailer, they may agree to do it for you if you ask.

(3) You pay a $39 enabling fee, but otherwise you just plug it into the USB2 port and the receiver formats it for use. As to how may hours of storage, it varies with several factors. The biggest is whether the recorded show is encoded in mpeg2 or mpeg4. OTA in MPEG2 takes several GB per hour (7-8). I looked at some of my MPEG4 recordings and it was 2.6-3GB for an hour.

(4) Yes an internet connection is a-ok instead of a phone line connection. E* is reported to be waving the connection requirement for the first dual tuner receiver on the account starting in Feb/Mar.

(5) Not yet, but soon.

Last edited:
I always use both my 622 and 722 in Single Mode (only on one, HD, TV), but would never do a 612 since it doesn't have PIP. Can't understand why Dish wouldn't provide PIP on this dual-tuner box.

Thanks for the replies! Let me rephrase a question. What would the difference be between a 612 and the 722 that is only used in "single" mode? Anything other than PIP? Even if I get a second TV, I will get another receiver anyways so I am not interested in the two TV sharing the 722.

Also, MEG2 and MEG4 are throwing me for a loop. Is this HD versus SD recording?

I would always pick the 722 (have 2 and a 622) and not just for PIP.

MPEG-2 takes .7 to 1.1 GB/hr in SD, 3.2 to 5 in HD, more for OTA--always MPEG-2.
MPEG-4 takes 1.9 to 3.2 GB/hr with some older recordings (MPEG-2 encoding in a MPEG-4 envelope?) taking sizes like MPEG-2. I'm re-recording some to get better compression in my archive.

BTW, you have no choice other than picking SD vs HD vs OTA digital in the recording compressions, as the DVR just stores the incoming digital transport stream. Recording sizes vary more than 10% for the same channel content--different bit rates--but not that you can see an image difference. (With an EHD plugged in and on, look at the internal file sizes in MB by DVR-4-2.)

On EHD I would say 500 GB is a minimum purchase and if you are a movie fan choose 750 GB or 1 TB. I have 5*750+1*1000 for 300+ SD and 500- HD recordings each averaging 2 hr.

Yes to cables from monoprice, get all at once to save some on shipping.

If you have DSL then you like have a phone line and you don't need to use a switch to give you more ports. On the other hand with Ethernet you can get downloads, some free. Better to have both just in case one is disconnected.

-Ken

Actually when I ordered my 612 (through dishin it up) I asked if it came with HDMI/Component cables .They said no but They both magicallyappeared when I opened the box. They must have the ability to "add" them

I would always pick the 722 (have 2 and a 622) and
If you have DSL then you like have a phone line and you don't need to use a switch to give you more ports. On the other hand with Ethernet you can get downloads, some free. Better to have both just in case one is disconnected.

-Ken
Not always, I have had DSL from 3 different companies and all of them offered "Naked" DSL (DSL without an active dial tone phone line). I have no need for a home phone line and don't feel like paying extra for something I won't use. That being said, if you do have both, you might as well connect both. Keep in mind when connecting a Vip series receiver (211,222(k),612,622,722(k)) You can always use a HomePlug adapter at your router to avoid running ethernet cables all over your house. The Vip series receivers have homeplug capability built in.

I got two 722s and both came with HDMI/Component cables
My 612 and 722 came with all the cables, My installer tried to take them, But I wouldn't let him. My 622 wasn't brand new so It didn't come with one. This it all depends if they are new in Box, Becuase E* doesn't have to lease brand new receivers to new customers, You can be giving a Reman unit. You'll know once you see the boxes they bring in.:)

My 612 and 722 came with all the cables, My installer tried to take them, But I wouldn't let him. My 622 wasn't brand new so It didn't come with one. This it all depends if they are new in Box, Becuase E* doesn't have to lease brand new receivers to new customers, You can be giving a Reman unit. You'll know once you see the boxes they bring in.:)

That makes sense, I was ticked when I realized the installer had hooked up my 722 upgrade with RCA type cable - my inlaws got an HDMI with theirs. I was getting ready to call Dish and ask for one but it sounds like they don't advertise them as in the box. My installer probably sells em on ebay.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts