Newbie w/questions....trying to make switch to Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TechNewbie

Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
DE
Have a quick question....I am trying out an extra Directv receiver (H25-500) to see if Directv will work for my particular location (live on the edge of a field and very windy). So with that in mind, I did some research and found out that I needed to buy a slimline SWM LNB dish. I went to ebay and originally was looking to buy the SL3 but I was able to bid and win an auction for an SL5 (I got it for about the same price as the SL3 and I think they are basically the same but the SL5 picks up more channels or something like that..not sure?)

Anyway, I plan to do the setup myself and had a few questions if someone can assist that would be great:

- Just wanted to make sure the new SL5 I bought is compatible with the H25-500 receiver? I know its a little late now but I jumped on the price!

- The SL5 did come with a power inverter and an 8 way splitter I believe (I think I will only need to user the PI and not the splitter / just one receiver)

- From the pics online it appears to come with the standard mounting system? Anyway, will I be able to mount this on the side of my house (into siding / exterior wall) versus mounting on the roof?

- I will assume since the SWM is built into the end of the dish itself and only has one coax plug on it then I only need to run one coax to the planned install location?

- Is it necessary to ground the dish and if so how do I go about doing that?

- Any more tools / equipment / gadgets I will need to find the satellite once it is mounted? Or will the onscreen navigation be enough?

Anything else that I should know before jumping into this install that you think is important? Just wanted to mention, I have a lot of experience with running wires and connectivity as it relates to cable but the satellite stuff is pretty new to me but willing to learn as much as I can.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.....

1. It needs to say SWM on the LNB. The H25 only works with SWM
2. OK it sounds like one then....correct you will not need the splitter
3. yes
4. yes...make sure to plug it into the power inserter
5. you should but I know of folks who dont
6. you can use the menus on the receiver

1. It needs to say SWM on the LNB. The H25 only works with SWM
2. OK it sounds like one then....correct you will not need the splitter
3. yes
4. yes...make sure to plug it into the power inserter
5. you should but I know of folks who dont
6. you can use the menus on the receiver

Iceberg-

Thanks a lot for your assistance...I really appreciate it being a newbie and all. Just to clarify your answers a bit, I've search around online and some people say that Directv (installers) would not want to install the dish on the side of a wall due to it not supporting it adequately? Basically from what I have read the dish is heavy and just going into normal (siding / wood sheathing exterior) is not sufficient and the lags need to go into rafters or studs? Any experience on this or can you expand on this at all?

Also, another quick question...I also was doing some research online and they have all these gadgets and stuff you can buy to help you get aligned with the satellite (like a ASL and other things) so I should be ok just using the menus on the receiver? I know you said so in your initial response just trying to make sure I have everything covered.

Last question, the place where I have planned to install the dish there is already a junction box going into the house that has two electric wires (outdoor lights) going in....I know you should not combine low and high volt but I was contemplating using that same pathway? I know that quad shield RG6 "resists" interference but maybe I am playing with fire on that one? Just trying to avoid putting another junction box right next to an already existing junction box.

Thanks again for the assistance.....appreciate it!

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You can install the dish on the side of a house, but not on vinyl siding. There are support arms that must be installed, too. The meters in the setup menus will work good enough. They aren't as sensitive as the expensive meters, but they are free! :) You should avoid running along any electric wires if at all possible. You don't need to run the cable through conduit, so another junction box isn't needed.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You can install the dish on the side of a house, but not on vinyl siding. There are support arms that must be installed, too. The meters in the setup menus will work good enough. They aren't as sensitive as the expensive meters, but they are free! :) You should avoid running along any electric wires if at all possible. You don't need to run the cable through conduit, so another junction box isn't needed.

raoul5788-

Thank you very much that clears a bunch of stuff up:)

I am a little confused about what your saying about the install on the side of the house (vinyl siding)...if you can't mount on the side of the house through vinyl siding then I suppose your talking about the edge of the roof line (the fascia or whatever the aluminum siding stuff is called). I guess that is what you mean because what the fascia covers is a solid piece of 2 x lumber versus going into just the plywood siding of a house? Is this correct?

Also, any suggestions on how to add in a grounding block to my installation? Where I plan on placing the dish my regular cable is about 6 feet away (cable tv that comes into the house) and I believe that has a grounding block already installed. Can I somehow attach to that or do I have to put in a brand new one?

Thanks.....

Call me Chip, Raoul is a screen name.
I wouldn't install on vinyl because the base of the mount would damage it. Not knowing what the sheathing underneath the siding is made of is an issue, too. Sometimes it's only homasote which is no where near strong enough. The dish could go on a pole or maybe on the rake or the roof, depending on several factors. Is any of those a possibility? You should be able to ground the dish where the cable is grounded now.

yeah I wouldnt mount it on vinyl.....but I have seen it mounted on a wall. A house about a block from me has it mounted on the side of this house

As long as the sheathing is solid, and there is no vinyl, mounting on a wall with the support arms is fine. It's best to hit a stud with at least one lag screw, two is better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts