Newbie with a few ?'s

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hyeride00

Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
so cal
Hi all. New to Direct Tv from Dish, although i have never learned about any of the technical aspects of either before, so bear with me as i try to explain my question clearly haha.

My permanent home has an SL3, 2 HD receiver boxes, and 1 HD DVR box, all on the new whole home DVR setup. I learned that we can take the Direct TV boxes to our vacation home when we go and a friend had an SL5 dish that he gave me (apparently he doesn't like direct?!). I took one of the HD receiver boxes and mocked the setup up at his place with the SL5 dish mounted to a sawhorse table. I get all channels except HD.

I know there is a PI installed at my permanent residence behind the HD DVR and i know the Direct TV installer used a 4-way MRV splitter/switch from the SL3 when everything was connected.

Since i have the SL5 for the vacation home, what do i need/don't need in comparison to the SL3 setup?

ANY input or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

On the mockup, the SL5 is directly connected to the HD receiver box with nothing in between.

Last edited:
Since you have the WHDVR setup at home, it means that you have an SWM installation. Now at the vacation home you probably don't have the SWM LNB. This means you need BBCs on that receiver to get HD (unless the receiver is an H23 or HR23).
In this case you'll need two lines from the dish for dual tuner operation (if its the DVR you takre with you). No power inserter needed for non SWM operation.

And you'll need to re-run sat setup to select the 5LNB.

Just because your buddy gave you a Slimline 5 doesn't mean he doesn't like them, he could have changed to a Slimline 3 or a SWiM set up .

Not as much need for a 5 lnb set up anymore.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)