Newby looking for education

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Alan_Hepburn

Original poster
Mar 1, 2020
San Jose, Ca USA
Greetings - we have been DirecTV subscribers for about 25 years now, but we're starting to investigate the possibility of switching to Dish. Our current setup is as follows: we have a Genie master receiver in our living room, and a Genie slave in the den. This gives us HD channels on each TV - but we don't have, or want, DVR capability. We do a lot of traveling in our RV and when we do we take the Genie master and slave with us in the motorhome. The motorhome has an older KVH R4 dome so we only get SD programming when we travel. Other than the fact that the receivers are "master-slave" they are independent of each other: they both don't have to be receiving signals from the same satellite, although this isn't usually an issue with DirecTV. I understand that the Dish birds are far enough apart that this can be an issue with them. I know that we will have to replace the current dome antenna on the RV if we go with Dish. Our programming package with DirecTV is an old, grandfathered, package - the closest current package would be their "Ultimate 250+" package - the closest we see on the Dish website would be the "Top 200" package.

So, after that background, here's my questions:

Given that we need to have 2 receivers that are completely independent as far as viewing different satellites, and don't care for DVR capability, which receivers are our best choice?

The Dish website shows the cost of their packages, but that cost is a 2-year special price - what is the cost after the 2 years expires?

Are local channels available through the dish, or will we need extra hardware to receive OTA channels?

I'm sure I'll have more questions - please be kind!

Reactions: Howard Simmons
It sounds like you might be satisfied with two Wallys. The Wally has a single activated satellite tuner with (IIRC) a two day guide that can be converted to a two satellite tuner by adding an external hard drive (one time $40 fee per account) that also gives you a 9 day guide.

Distance between satellites is never a problem (first time Iv'e ever heard of that). Dish has two arcs of satellites, Eastern arc uses 61.5 and 72.7, western arc uses 110, 119 and 129, different lnbs for each arc but the work great.

Dish carries most channels from each DMA by satellite but not all guide data is there for all sub-channels. Additionally you can buy a white USB OTA dual tuner dongle for $29.95 from AirTV or the same dongle in black from Dish @ around $60, same guide date for OTA and satellite locals, but the dongle is good if you have the EDH for recording (once you try a DVR of any type your spoiled).

Greetings - we have been DirecTV subscribers for about 25 years now, but we're starting to investigate the possibility of switching to Dish. Our current setup is as follows: we have a Genie master receiver in our living room, and a Genie slave in the den. This gives us HD channels on each TV - but we don't have, or want, DVR capability. We do a lot of traveling in our RV and when we do we take the Genie master and slave with us in the motorhome. The motorhome has an older KVH R4 dome so we only get SD programming when we travel. Other than the fact that the receivers are "master-slave" they are independent of each other: they both don't have to be receiving signals from the same satellite, although this isn't usually an issue with DirecTV. I understand that the Dish birds are far enough apart that this can be an issue with them. I know that we will have to replace the current dome antenna on the RV if we go with Dish. Our programming package with DirecTV is an old, grandfathered, package - the closest current package would be their "Ultimate 250+" package - the closest we see on the Dish website would be the "Top 200" package.

Given that we need to have 2 receivers that are completely independent as far as viewing different satellites, and don't care for DVR capability, which receivers are our best choice?

The Dish website shows the cost of their packages, but that cost is a 2-year special price - what is the cost after the 2 years expires?

Are local channels available through the dish, or will we need extra hardware to receive OTA channels?

Dish normally raises their prices in Feb. so 2021 and 2022 will possibly have price increases. Do you have a Magic 8 Ball to see those possible increases? With Dish you will sign a 2 year contract so you are stuck with what ever price increase they come up with.

Local channels are on spotbeams so they are limited to about a 200 mile radius. As you move you can call in and switch your local channels to those that serve the part of the country you are in.
OTA dongles do have reception problems. You need a good TV antenna if you want reliable Over The Air reception.

I can't answer your question or give you an opinion I'll let the experts on here do that. I just want to say :welcometo the forum and hope you stay around and get informed as I have.:happydance:cheer

Reactions: DWS44 and HipKat
Dish normally raises their prices in Feb. so 2021 and 2022 will possibly have price increases. Do you have a Magic 8 Ball to see those possible increases? With Dish you will sign a 2 year contract so you are stuck with what ever price increase they come up with.

I know we can't predict what the cost will be 2 years hence, but to make an informed comparison I can certainly use today's non-contract pricing for each package, to compare Dish to DirecTV. That's what I'm trying to do...

It sounds like you might be satisfied with two Wallys. The Wally has a single activated satellite tuner with (IIRC) a two day guide that can be converted to a two satellite tuner by adding an external hard drive (one time $40 fee per account) that also gives you a 9 day guide.

Distance between satellites is never a problem (first time Iv'e ever heard of that). Dish has two arcs of satellites, Eastern arc uses 61.5 and 72.7, western arc uses 110, 119 and 129, different lnbs for each arc but the work great.

What I've heard over the years is that if you have 2 receivers connected to a single dish both receivers can only receive a signal from the same satellite - presumably because the dish can't switch between satellites without interrupting the signal. Is that no longer true?

What I've heard over the years is that if you have 2 receivers connected to a single dish both receivers can only receive a signal from the same satellite - presumably because the dish can't switch between satellites without interrupting the signal. Is that no longer true?
Not true with Dish. Maybe DTV is different??

That is true of both services when a Dome style automatic dish is used. On the plus side for Dish, the dome style dishes do receive HD programming.

Reactions: JSheridan
It has never been true with Dish even the first dish 500 could select from 110 or 119. The worst case is possibly the international channels, signals come off 110/118.7/119 and 129. Four different satellites and all are available from built in switching.

It has never been true with Dish even the first dish 500 could select from 110 or 119. The worst case is possibly the international channels, signals come off 110/118.7/119 and 129. Four different satellites and all are available from built in switching.

He is in an RV with a dome dish. He is going to replace the dome dish with one for DISH Network. A dome dish can only look at one satellite at a time.

He would have to get the Traveler dish to be able to watch two different satellite stations at the same time. The Traveler is not a dome. Or, he could use a tripod and dish setup.

He is in an RV with a dome dish. He is going to replace the dome dish with one for DISH Network. A dome dish can only look at one satellite at a time.

He would have to get the Traveler dish to be able to watch two different satellite stations at the same time. The Traveler is not a dome. Or, he could use a tripod and dish setup.
Thanks for clarifying that - we are, indeed, going to have to upgrade to either the WineGard Trav'ler or the RFMogul dish. Both are open-dish units, and both are about the same price - I've heard stories that RFMogul is easier to repair on-site but we'll make that decision in probably 6 months or so...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)