Newby Question...

gluck75

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Manhattan
I am a frequent contributor to the Direct TV Board and am now considering purchasing a Satellite Radio. One of the times that I will most often want to use my Satellite Radio would be on the treadmill, inside the gym.

Now, here are my questions, which may sounds stupid, but if so, my apologies...

1) Can I get reception indoors? There are no windows near the treadmill (30 feet) where I work out.

2) I live in Manhattan and frequently walk the streets. With the tall buildings, ETC, would I be able to get reception?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!!

In Manhattan you should be able to pick up the repeaters for both XM or Sirius. Wether it will work inside the gym with no windows is a hit or miss type thing. Now as far as portable units XM has the Myfi and Sirius has the Brix Streamer, but Im not sure if it is out yet.

As previously stated, There are terrestrial repeaters in Manhattan, so out side or near windows you should receive a signal.

I have had a Delphi Myfi (XM radio) since Crhistams 2004. This device also has the ability to store 5+ hours of music (8+ hours of monaural talk radio) for replay later. It also has a battery life of aproximately 5 hours. Every night I record a 5 hour session in case I need it that day. I use the recorded programs when I cannot get reception such as when I am on a plane (and do not have a good window seat) or on a train/subway. You could use this feature for the gym. The Myfi is sold as a complete kit and includes the following:
* A rechargable battery (5 hour);
* An ac-powered home kit (including patch kit to home stereo
* A dc-powered car kit (several different mounts and cassette feed for play)
* A built-in antenna (I have had limited success with the built-in, but it might be great in Manhattan);
* A wearable antenna (I also use this in rental cars and on planes)
* FM transmitter (for auto/home use) for playback through FM receivers/radios
* Leather Case
* Belt Clip

There will be more portables availale for XM during the April-June 2005 timeframe.

I hope you find this informaiton helpful.

Bob Milk

Is there a "trial"? Could I return the unit to Circuit City, say a couple of weeks later if I don't like the service? I don't care about paying the fee for a month, but I wouldnt want to be stuck with the unit if I couldn't use it "live" at the gym...

The "trial" would really depend on the store you purchased it from. Some stores charge a restocking fee for returning an item that is open and working. You would however have to pay for the month of service I don't think you can get that back.