newVOOMdish

hdmitch22

Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
I have read that Voomers will need to install
a different type of dish, 35 inches wide by 20 inches tall.

And that Voom is doing this free of charge.

Does anyone have this size dish and
how is it working out for you?

I read that too, I think they mean when/if they get another satellite alongside the Rainbow satellite at 61.5, so it will have to be the above size to catch both birds! A lot of folks here use a 30" dish for VoOM, with great results, the only thing the bigger the dish the more they catch the wind, then instead of a rain fade problems you now have the dish moving slightly evey time the wind gets up with the same end result, picture in and out. I use a 30" dish right now for all satellites (on motor) then I am future proofed for all satellites forever, it does catch the wind but I can live with that as I know what it is : ) I try to keep all satellite dish as low as possible, that's where the pros put theirs, so that's good enough for me, now and again I have no choice but to put it on a roof, and the customer always knows best : )

They have not started installing those 20x35 ones yet to the best of my knowledge. But if they are serious about the leases on the other sat I dont know why not.

20x35 seems SO freaking huge for a 11 degree spread. DirecTV does three satellites at 101, 110, and 119 with a 24" dish. Dish does 110 and 110 with something about the same size.

Why so big?

Aard,

20x35 seems SO freaking huge for a 11 degree spread. DirecTV does three satellites at 101, 110, and 119 with a 24" dish. Dish does 110 and 110 with something about the same size.
The 72 degree slot that VOOM will use is KU FSS. FSS slots tend to be somewhat lower power and reside every two degrees--unlike DBS where slots are every nine degrees--thus a larger dish is required to distinguish between them. There are KU FSS slots at 70 and 74 degrees that would make a smaller dish for 72 degrees impossible.

Dish Network also uses a similar dish that can receive the 105 FSS slot (where they've put locals for smaller markets), plus the DBS slots at 110 and 119. Dish Network calls it the "Superdish" -- it is 24x34" or 21x36", depending on the version.

I can't imagine that the larger dish will be mandatory. My guess is they will use it for new services--like PPV, RSNs, and sports packages in HD--and possibly a new programming tier between basic and VaVaVoom. Obviously, they will need to keep any price increase on VaVaVoom to a minimum so customers who stick with the smaller dish don't end up paying much more for the same programming (since they wouldn't receive the new channels on the larger dish).

I posted some speculation on the larger dish right here.

If DBS was every 4.5 degrees would it still be able to have 18" dishes? If KU FSS was every 4 degrees or 8 degrees, etc. how small of a dish could it get to being? I remember that Voom was going to come out with a 13" dish but decided on the 18" dish and now 36".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts