Nexstar dispute looming...

It was, but that dispute is long over now. I was simply proving that I had taken upcoming disputes into account when I was posting my earlier list of markets with no local disputes on Dish. The new thread about the Fort Myers dispute had not yet been started at the time when I posted here.
Let's look at the full content of my statement.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I decided to look it up. As best as I can tell from James Long's list ( Local Channels on DISH Network (Unofficial Listing) ) the markets with no disputes on Dish are as follows:
No stations have been lost in SW Florida (Naples / Fort Myers)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My reply was to your comment about James Long's list for the Nexstar dispute. I will stand by my statement that no Fort Myers station was lost due to the Nexstar dispute. Strange that the guide data you showed starts at channel 30. My guess is that the data you reposted is incomplete or incorrect since WINK is the only channel that has been dropped. But then I could "guess" that any station is going to have a contract dispute and most likely would be right at some point in the future.

When I said "the markets with no disputes" I was including all disputes, not just Nexstar. Remember that Dish was also having simultaneous disputes with several other broadcast station owners, including Apollo, Mission, Lilly, and probably some others that I am forgetting. I was trying to find markets with no current disputes at the time, and with no immediately upcoming disputes.

I will stand by my statement that no Fort Myers station was lost due to the Nexstar dispute.
You are absolutely correct, and I never said that it was due to Nexstar. You asked if this thread was about Nexstar, and I replied that it originally was. The context of the discussion then expanded to also include other disputes, as you would see if you re-read the thread.

Strange that the guide data you showed starts at channel 30. My guess is that the data you reposted is incomplete or incorrect since WINK is the only channel that has been dropped. But then I could "guess" that any station is going to have a contract dispute and most likely would be right at some point in the future.
I asked James Long why the separate OTA guide data streams (as opposed to the ones that are linked to the satellite-delivered station's guide data) do not show up in his list. He provided an explanation that there is a technical reason why the markets for those OTA guide data feeds do not get mapped to his list. I don't feel like looking it up, but he posted it over on dbstalk, in their thread about the Nexstar dispute, if you want the explanation.

The lack of a link from the satellite-delivered station's guide data to the matching OTA channel (based on TSID, which these days may not match what the station is actually broadcasting. But I digress. The point is that Dish is trying to link the guide data.) is a legitimate means of predicting an upcoming dispute. Dish does not make these changes willy-nilly on a whim. If Dish bothers to remove the link to the satellite-delivered station's guide data, and goes to the trouble to uplink a separate guide data stream for OTA viewers, it means that Dish is actively preparing for a dispute. Furthermore, it means that Dish is anticipating that the stations will likely be dropped in the next couple of months, if not sooner. (Sometimes, there are contract extensions that push the actual drop date back farther than that, but the original contract expiration date is always within a relatively short time after Dish makes these changes.) It was exactly such an uplink that led to my post that started this thread, which actually did turn out to be correct. There is no way of knowing whether Dish actually has a long-term contract with a broadcast station owner, until they go to the effort to reverse the type of guide data changes that were linked in the first post. So, as long as the OTA guide data for those other Fort Myers stations is not mapped to the satellite-delivered version's guide data (and thus does not show up in James Long's local channels list) there is still a looming possibility that those stations will be dropped.

The station is owned by the McBride family and their Fort Myers Broadcasting Company, making it one of a handful of TV stations today to have locally-based ownership. This thread is about Nexstar right?
Nexstar has a lot of holding companies such as mission broadcasting..we have to look deep in
When I said "the markets with no disputes" I was including all disputes, not just Nexstar. Remember that Dish was also having simultaneous disputes with several other broadcast station owners, including Apollo, Mission, Lilly, and probably some others that I am forgetting. I was trying to find markets with no current disputes at the time, and with no immediately upcoming disputes.

You are absolutely correct, and I never said that it was due to Nexstar. You asked if this thread was about Nexstar, and I replied that it originally was. The context of the discussion then expanded to also include other disputes, as you would see if you re-read the thread.

I asked James Long why the separate OTA guide data streams (as opposed to the ones that are linked to the satellite-delivered station's guide data) do not show up in his list. He provided an explanation that there is a technical reason why the markets for those OTA guide data feeds do not get mapped to his list. I don't feel like looking it up, but he posted it over on dbstalk, in their thread about the Nexstar dispute, if you want the explanation.

The lack of a link from the satellite-delivered station's guide data to the matching OTA channel (based on TSID, which these days may not match what the station is actually broadcasting. But I digress. The point is that Dish is trying to link the guide data.) is a legitimate means of predicting an upcoming dispute. Dish does not make these changes willy-nilly on a whim. If Dish bothers to remove the link to the satellite-delivered station's guide data, and goes to the trouble to uplink a separate guide data stream for OTA viewers, it means that Dish is actively preparing for a dispute. Furthermore, it means that Dish is anticipating that the stations will likely be dropped in the next couple of months, if not sooner. (Sometimes, there are contract extensions that push the actual drop date back farther than that, but the original contract expiration date is always within a relatively short time after Dish makes these changes.) It was exactly such an uplink that led to my post that started this thread, which actually did turn out to be correct. There is no way of knowing whether Dish actually has a long-term contract with a broadcast station owner, until they go to the effort to reverse the type of guide data changes that were linked in the first post. So, as long as the OTA guide data for those other Fort Myers stations is not mapped to the satellite-delivered version's guide data (and thus does not show up in James Long's local channels list) there is still a looming possibility that those stations will be dropped.
Fyi nexstar controls mission broadcasting

broadcasting

Reactions: Howard Simmons
No stations have been lost in SW Florida (Naples / Fort Myers)
My guess is that the data you reposted is incomplete or incorrect since WINK is the only channel that has been dropped. But then I could "guess" that any station is going to have a contract dispute and most likely would be right at some point in the future.
The lack of a link from the satellite-delivered station's guide data to the matching OTA channel ... is a legitimate means of predicting an upcoming dispute.
So, as long as the OTA guide data for those other Fort Myers stations is not mapped to the satellite-delivered version's guide data (and thus does not show up in James Long's local channels list) there is still a looming possibility that those stations will be dropped.
Don't look now, but some more Naples stations just got dropped. ;)
New Uplinks / Mappings – Channels Available
5175 LOCAL (46 HD Local) CARRIAGE DISPUTE added to 129° 4s54 (South Florida) (HD Fort Myers, FL market Hidden) AVAILABLE OTA Mapping (46-01) – DRM
5175 LOCAL (46 HD Local) CARRIAGE DISPUTE added to 61.5° 26s41 (S Florida) (HD Fort Myers, FL market Hidden) AVAILABLE OTA Mapping (46-01) – DRM
9219 LOCAL (46 Local) CARRIAGE DISPUTE added to 110° 4s1 (South Florida) (SD Fort Myers, FL market Hidden) AVAILABLE OTA Mapping (46-01) – DRM
9224 LOCAL (14 Local) CARRIAGE DISPUTE added to 110° 4s1 (South Florida) (SD Fort Myers, FL market Hidden) AVAILABLE DRM
9224 LOCAL (14 Local) CARRIAGE DISPUTE added to 61.5° 26s41 (S Florida) (SD MPEG4 Fort Myers, FL market Hidden) AVAILABLE EPG linked to 110° 4s1 (South Florida) Ch 9224 – DRM

Uplinks Removed
5175 WXCW (46 HD Local) NAPLES, FL (CW) removed from 129° 4s54 (South Florida) (HD Fort Myers, FL market Hidden)
5175 WXCW (46 HD Local) NAPLES, FL (CW) removed from 61.5° 26s41 (S Florida) (HD Fort Myers, FL market Hidden)
9219 WXCW (46 Local) NAPLES, FL (CW) removed from 110° 4s1 (South Florida) (SD Fort Myers, FL market Hidden)
9224 WANA (14 Local) NAPLES, FL (AZTECA) removed from 110° 4s1 (South Florida) (SD Fort Myers, FL market Hidden)
9224 WANA (14 Local) NAPLES, FL (AZTECA) removed from 61.5° 26s41 (S Florida) (SD MPEG4 Fort Myers, FL market Hidden)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)